Inherent vs. Always On

I think this is a rules question, but I'm erring on the side of caution and posting it here. Either way, I'd appreciate Steve's feedback.

What's the difference between Inherent (an Advantage) and Always On (a Limitation). I was building an Alien race and I stopped to consider this. If I buy Extra Limbs, and they're always there, why pay an extra point (5 * 1 1/4) when I can pay one less point (5 * 3/4)?

Or is this just a "If it's good to have it on all the time, it's inherent. If it's bad to have it on all the time, it's Always On" kind of thing?

-cK

Re: Inherent vs. Always On

Originally posted by Citizen Keen

I think this is a rules question, but I'm erring on the side of caution and posting it here. Either way, I'd appreciate Steve's feedback.

What's the difference between Inherent (an Advantage) and Always On (a Limitation). I was building an Alien race and I stopped to consider this. If I buy Extra Limbs, and they're always there, why pay an extra point (5 * 1 1/4) when I can pay one less point (5 * 3/4)?

Or is this just a "If it's good to have it on all the time, it's inherent. If it's bad to have it on all the time, it's Always On" kind of thing?

-cK

Inherent powers cannot be suppressed or dispelled since they are a natural function. I wouldn't allow always on in that case unless there was a disadvantage to it.

Just to expand upon what the illustrious MisterVimes has stated, Inherent is an Advantage because it makes a power impossible for someone else to turn off. Always On is a Disadvantage because it makes it impossible for the character turn it off, but not for others with Suppress or Dispel to turn off.

Originally posted by Monolith

Just to expand upon what the illustrious MisterVimes has stated, Inherent is an Advantage because it makes a power impossible for someone else to turn off. Always On is a Disadvantage because it makes it impossible for the character turn it off, but not for others with Suppress or Dispel to turn off.

And leave it to the illustrious Monolith to word it so well:D

Re: Re: Inherent vs. Always On

Originally posted by MisterVimes

Inherent powers cannot be suppressed or dispelled since they are a natural function. I wouldn't allow always on in that case unless there was a disadvantage to it.

I believe a power must be "always on" in order to permit purchase of "inherent". Whether you get a limitation would, of course, depend on whether there's a drawback, but I can't think of many powers where there is no drawback to the inability to shut it down.

So, how many characters have purchased Inherent life support? Could be mighty painful if it gets suppressed/dispelled...

Re: Re: Re: Inherent vs. Always On

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

I believe a power must be "always on" in order to permit purchase of "inherent". Whether you get a limitation would, of course, depend on whether there's a drawback, but I can't think of many powers where there is no drawback to the inability to shut it down.

So, how many characters have purchased Inherent life support? Could be mighty painful if it gets suppressed/dispelled...

You are correct. "A Persistant Power that is also 'Always on' may be Inherent" (FREd p69). The text seems to imply that.

And page 165 says that Inherent "must be already 0 END, Persistent and Always On"

Originally posted by Citizen Keen

STEVE! Your wrote FREd, and you (co)wrote Star HERO. Fix this!

(edit) Please.

The Extra Limbs you site *are* Always On, they just don't get the Limitation because there is no drawback to not being able to turn them off. An octopus can't makes its tentacles disappear, but it's hardly hampered by them.

Conversely, they can't be Dispelled, either (actually, there are circumstances where I would dispute that, but nevermind), so they need to take the Inherent Advantage.

Originally posted by GamePhil

The Extra Limbs you site *are* Always On, they just don't get the Limitation because there is no drawback to not being able to turn them off. An octopus can't makes its tentacles disappear, but it's hardly hampered by them.

Star Hero may be different, but to me the fact your extra limbs are always there has a drawback - you're likely to be remembered ("The guy with 8 arms, remember?")

The character should either be entitled to the always on limitation, or Distinctive Features ("He had eight arms!").

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

Star Hero may be different, but to me the fact your extra limbs are always there has a drawback - you're likely to be remembered ("The guy with 8 arms, remember?")

Star HERO is certainly different. There, you're likely to get the response:

"Oh, you mean an Octopoid? I see a dozen of them every day, bud, you're going to have to do better than that."

Whether it's distinctive or not depends on the specifics of the campaign. In fact, in some campaigns it wouldn't be worth a Disadvantage at all, while in others it would be a Social Limitation (if Octopoids are second class citizens of the Conglomeration, for example).

In any event, I wouldn't call it the Always On Limitation, if only because the drawbacks you're talking about, when they exist, are probably worth more than the 2 point savings of the Limitation.