Hard S.F. Star Hero

comfortmd

Thanks alot for the write-ups. So often in the past i have been deterred from using Hero because of the lack of pre-done write-ups. Though with the way things look now, that no longer seems to be an issue, and appears to not be one for the forseeable future.

Originally posted by Tseegno

Thanks alot for the write-ups. So often in the past i have been deterred from using Hero because of the lack of pre-done write-ups. Though with the way things look now, that no longer seems to be an issue, and appears to not be one for the forseeable future.

Your welcome... I kind of intended this thread to be a haven for posting stuff people wanted to get out, just before anybodyt posts please play test it please. I want this to be a resource, not a free-for-all. Thanks to all for your interest.

I'm waiting for the black globe generator writeup myself. :D

Seriously though, did the meson gun change somehow between High Guard and later versions? The original meson gun was AVLD, not double knockback. Worse, I know. The physics of the original meson gun actually made sense, which was pretty unusual.

Originally posted by Old Man

I'm waiting for the black globe generator writeup myself. :D

Seriously though, did the meson gun change somehow between High Guard and later versions? The original meson gun was AVLD, not double knockback. Worse, I know. The physics of the original meson gun actually made sense, which was pretty unusual.

I used the meson gun write up in this way to simulate a large "glob" of particle energy that was being magnetically accelerated at a target, then blowing up upon impact. Looking at the meson gun, i also did not want to destabilize the game with a limited defense weapon, but the idea of being "blapped" with the meson gun spinal mount and seeing the ship skittering across the map, maybe into an asteroid or maybe an interceptor bouncing off of the freighter it is protecting, just sounded too cool to ignore. I tried to take some of the more "ugly" trav weapon systems and incorporate the hero "feel" and requirements of the system into the result. henceforth, very few weapons really do a great deal of damage, most missiles can be countered with an interceptor missile, etc. The nastiest weapons were the fusion and plasma guns, but their endurance requirements are high enough that ships "should" run out of feul using them if not extremely careful. I still have been tempted to fix some of the typo's in the prefab lists. The write-up on the black globe generator is waiting for me to figure out how powerful to make it without making it game un-balancing. It should be moderately powerful force-field, with the ability to absorb any attack made against it to make the shield as strong as it was. Since it functions as a total barrier, the side effect of course would be total blindness to everything outside the shield, also would be high on the endurance cost too. The black globe generators, of course, started out as an artifact of the old ones btw. My players are low level still, though. Most of their big ship battles have been narrative, in as much as the respctive sub-sector navies are kind of beyond their scope. Those would be the logical recipients of such a drive. I have been deciding between making the black globe generators dimensional barriers, blue event horizons (black holes), field barriers, or molecular walls. What do you think?

Lets see if this works...

Interceptor

Player:

Val Char Cost
55 STR 0
15 DEX 15
19 BODY 0
4 SPD 15
1" RUN-100" SWIM-20" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 87

Cost Power END
36 Point Defense 25mm Auto Cannon: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6 (vs. PD), 64 Charges (+1/2), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Does Not Require a hardpoint to mount weapon (+1) (45 Active Points); Real Weapon (-1/4)
36 Point Defense 25mm Auto Cannon: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6 (vs. PD), 64 Charges (+1/2), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Does Not Require a hardpoint to mount weapon (+1) (45 Active Points); Real Weapon (-1/4)
19 Life Support , Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents, Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing (39 Active Points); Costs Endurance Costs END Every Phase (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost 2x END (-1/2) (uses Personal END) 8
26 Power Plant A: Endurance Reserve (200 END, 50 REC) Reserve: (70 Active Points); OIF Bulky Fragile (-1 1/4) REC: (50 Active Points); Limited Recovery (-2) [Notes: Ion Drive, requires Hydrogen and Oxygen for Reaction, Tech 9]
3 Auxillary Power System A: Endurance Reserve (10 END, 10 REC) Reserve: (11 Active Points); OIF Bulky Fragile (-1 1/4), Visible (-1/4), Only Powers Electrical Devices (-1/4) REC: (10 Active Points); Limited Recovery-Light source required (-2) [Notes: Solar, Tech 9]
22 2 g Flight: Flight 15", Usable Underwater (+1/4), Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4) (45 Active Points); Costs Endurance Costs END Every Phase (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost 2x END (-1/2) (uses Personal END) 8
4 Defense Shields A: Force Field (10 ED), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible, Hearing Group; +1 1/4) (27 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost 5x END (-2), OIF Bulky Fragile (-1 1/4), Extra Time 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Ablative BODY or STUN (-1), Real Armor (-1/4) (uses Personal END) 15
12 Sensor / Comm Group: Multipower, 35-point reserve, all slots: (35 Active Points); OIF Bulky Fragile (-1 1/4), Increased Endurance Cost 2x END (-1/2), Costs Endurance Only Costs END to Activate (-1/4)
1u 1) Radar (Discriminatory, Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree, Range, Tracking) (35 Active Points) (uses Personal END) 6
1u 2) Radio Perception/Transmission (10 Active Points) (uses Personal END) 2
1u 3) Targeting Sense (Radar) (10 Active Points) (uses Personal END) 2
1u 4) Active Sonar (Discriminatory, Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree, Sense, Tracking) (32 Active Points) (uses Personal END) 6
1u 5) Infrared Perception (Targeting Sense, Tracking) (20 Active Points) (uses Personal END) 4
Powers Cost: 163

Cost Perk
0 2g Acceleration Couch, 1 person
10 Fuel Tanks 100 units
Perks Cost: 10

Total Character Cost: 250

Val Disadvantages
25 Social Limitation: Property Very Frequently (14-), Severe

Disadvantage Points: 25

Base Points: 225

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Originally posted by comfortmd

I used the meson gun write up in this way to simulate a large "glob" of particle energy that was being magnetically accelerated at a target, then blowing up upon impact. Looking at the meson gun, i also did not want to destabilize the game with a limited defense weapon, but the idea of being "blapped" with the meson gun spinal mount and seeing the ship skittering across the map, maybe into an asteroid or maybe an interceptor bouncing off of the freighter it is protecting, just sounded too cool to ignore.

I'm just wondering where you got the idea of a meson gun doing massive KB. Is it out of megatraveller or something? It contradicts the original definition out of High Guard.

As for Black Globe Generators--I can't think of a way to do them that isn't wildly expensive, but then, they are leftover artifacts from an alien civilization. Basically it would be boatloads of damage reduction and force field and absorption, with the absorption feeding into end batteries that in turn drive a huge RKA explosion side effect if they overfill.