PAH: Campaign Working Idea

Bygoneyrs

Hello everyone,

I am trying to work out a new idea for a campaign world for PAH setting. I do not want to set it on Earth at all, but rather a Alien world based loosely off of Barsoom, but not exactly.

It is my plan to use Traveller Hero/Star Hero to design out the system that the planet is within, and add othere things out there to explore and be apart of the campaign. The PAH campaign will mostly be based off the one would and the planet will have two moons as well. I also want a high fantasy PAH game.

Races will be:

Human (standard) - these came from the stars (TH/SH)

Blue/Green Humanoid - native to this planet

Mutants (Humanoids) - come from the above two races

Ape like Humanoid - slave labor race that was on this planet

in the past when the "PAH" events happened

I am planning to set the ruin in the past about 1,000 yrs or so. The tech which is still around in some cases is in some cases still working. That adds to the diverse PAH(Gamma World type) setting, and just drop some of the realisms in that regards. Better and higher tech lasts longer and etc.

I am looking for ideas from people, anyone care to give me some ideas.

Penn

Re: PAH: Campaign Working Idea

Few questions come to mind, and I know you don't have cemented answers for a lot, so not a problem if you don't.

1. Did the humans come here before, or after the Apocalypse?

2. Why and how?

3. Isn't 1000 years a little long? I'd think that with that much time to rebuild on a world that is habitable and still has a decent amount of interstellar tech still usable that things would at least be made workable. So how destroyed is everything still? Or has it basically become a medieval environment that has high technology available to it? Perhaps this is how you're making it into a high fantasy PAH game? (medieval civilization built from the ruins of an interstellar colony, "wizards" using "magic items" i.e. incredibly rare pre-Apoc. techs.)

If you're not wanting this to also be the fantasy game, then you might want to revise your time frame unless you have a reason for it. Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep has a lot of examples of PA human colonized worlds in it that, due to slower than light travel and humanities innate habit to destroy itself given enough time, so all human colonies eventually blow themselves up, usually resulting in a "dark ages" where they take a few hundred years to rediscover all their lost tech from the remnants. Not sure if that's what you're looking for or not though.

Either way, cool idea.

Re: PAH: Campaign Working Idea

You need to come up with a strong "image" or "idea" for your world. One that is strong enough to fuel your imagination as well as be easily communicated to others.

How about something like this (I am not seriously promoting these ideas, just off-the-cuff ideas.):

This world is a cross between Barsoom and "The Land of the Lost".

Or

This world parallels ancient China whereby an advanced race (humans) were over-run by barbarian hordes (green men). The human over time ruled the planet but became complacent enough over time to loose their will to war.

Or

A world like Barsoom ruled by green men. Humans came by way of a crash-landed space ship and their presence unbalances the way of life on this planet.

Or ......

Hello everyone,

I am trying to work out a new idea for a campaign world for PAH setting. I do not want to set it on Earth at all, but rather a Alien world based loosely off of Barsoom, but not exactly.

It is my plan to use Traveller Hero/Star Hero to design out the system that the planet is within, and add othere things out there to explore and be apart of the campaign. The PAH campaign will mostly be based off the one would and the planet will have two moons as well. I also want a high fantasy PAH game.

Races will be:

Human (standard) - these came from the stars (TH/SH)

Blue/Green Humanoid - native to this planet

Mutants (Humanoids) - come from the above two races

Ape like Humanoid - slave labor race that was on this planet

in the past when the "PAH" events happened

I am planning to set the ruin in the past about 1,000 yrs or so. The tech which is still around in some cases is in some cases still working. That adds to the diverse PAH(Gamma World type) setting, and just drop some of the realisms in that regards. Better and higher tech lasts longer and etc.

I am looking for ideas from people, anyone care to give me some ideas.

Penn