Building an "Inflict Pleasure" power

Tonio

I'm currently building a character whose concept involves him being able to inflict pain or pleasure on a target. The pain part is a no-brainer: Ego Attack, Continuous (+1).

I'm thinking of doing the pleasure part with Mind Control, Telepathic (+1/4), Set Effect: Writhe in Ecstasy (-1/2).

Any thoughts on this? Can anybody think of a better way? I thought of using the -1 modifier "Only to generate emotions", but I felt it wouldn't have had a significant combat effect (ok, the opponent is now feeling pleasure... um, great?), so I changed it to a more useful effect, and lowered the limitation value. Mebbe another power is better suited?

Re: Building an "Inflict Pleasure" power

Make it a BOECV Entangle. Writhing in pleasure is just a special effect. I've done the same for hysterical laughter. You could use it for any damn thing that causes that sort of effect. Compulsive tapdancing and farting if you like. Whatever. The effect is Entanglement. The Special Effect is yours to play with.

I'm currently building a character whose concept involves him being able to inflict pain or pleasure on a target. The pain part is a no-brainer: Ego Attack, Continuous (+1).

I'm thinking of doing the pleasure part with Mind Control, Telepathic (+1/4), Set Effect: Writhe in Ecstasy (-1/2).

Any thoughts on this? Can anybody think of a better way? I thought of using the -1 modifier "Only to generate emotions", but I felt it wouldn't have had a significant combat effect (ok, the opponent is now feeling pleasure... um, great?), so I changed it to a more useful effect, and lowered the limitation value. Mebbe another power is better suited?

Sounds like a tasp ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasp ). You might

want to take a look in the Star Hero forum and see if there are any

Ringworld or Known Space threads. They might have an idea or

three.....

A quick all forum search using 'tasp' as subject came up with:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55905

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45181

And some others that are a bit less relevant.... :D

-Carl-

You could define "Pleasure" as the absence of pain for this instance, and call the "Feel Pleasure" as a Stun Aid with the special effect of the target feels absolutely incredible.

Though, if you'd rather not have a Stun Aid, I'd second the Ego Entangle for the "You feel so amazingly awesome that you really can't do anything" feeling.

It IS indeed exactly like a tasp. I'm leaning towards building it as a BOECV Entangle (not vs CON... it's all in the head, a beefy (high CON), subservient (low EGO) thug would be much more vulnerable than a frail (low CON), disciplined (high EGO) monk), with a small, nominal Transform (to create Addiction) linked to it.

The suggestions and links were VERY helpful.

No, it's not a Four Color game... he's a PC with somewhat evil origins, but who turned good. Niven fans (hi!) will (did!) recognize the tasp effect, and will recognize his backstory... he comes from a powerful race of aliens (a la Thrintun) who've enslaved (using Pavlovian methods, hence the pain and pleasure) a race of technological geniuses (a la Tnuctipun) and had them build stuff for them.

Thanks for the responses, guys! :)

I'd just put a Variable Special effect on the "pain" power. Ether pain or pleasure, neurons are firing fast enough the target is losing STUN pips.

I decided to go with Entangle, BOECV (Mental Defense applies, +1), Continuous (+1), Takes No Damage from Physical (+1/4), Works Against EGO, not STR (+1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) for the Pleasure power, and an Ego Attack, Continuous (+1) for the Pain power.

An Ego Attack for Pleasure doesn't have the effect I'm looking for, which has the target gibbering and writhing in ecstasy while the power is on.

I'm also adding a Major Transform (Sentient Being into Sentient Being Addicted to Pleasure), Works Against EGO, not BODY (+1/4), BOECV (Mental Defense applies, +1), Continuous (+1), Limited Target (Sentient Beings, -1/4), Linked (Inflict Pleasure, -1/4) to make the target of the Pleasure power addicted to it over time.