(character) Mr. Amazing

dustytomes

Submitted for your perusal. I give you...

Mr. Amazing

Player: dusty

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

23 DEX 39

20 CON 20

15 BODY 10

9 INT -1

14 EGO 8

20 PRE 10

10 COM 0

5/20 PD 2

5/20 ED 1

4 SPD 7

10 REC 6

40 END 0

33 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 107

Cost Power

41 Elemental Control, 82-point powers

46 1) force bolt: Energy Blast 14d6, Indirect (3' from Mr. A always fired away from Mr. A; +1/4) (87 Active Points)

23 2) force sled: Flight 10", x32 Noncombat, rapid Noncombat movement (+1/4), Usable Simultaneously (up to 4 people at once; +3/4) (80 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

41 3) Force Field (15 PD/15 ED/10 Mental Defense/10 Power Defense/2 Flash Defense: Hearing Group/4 Flash Defense: Sight Group) (Protect Carried Items), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (82 Active Points)

54 4) Force Wall (14 PD/14 ED; 3" long and 2" tall), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (95 Active Points)

1 Life Support (Longevity: 200 Years)

Powers Cost: 206

Cost Skill

3 Breakfall 14-

3 PS: sales 13-

3 Oratory 13-

2 KS: Supervillans 11-

2 KS: US of A 11-

10 +2 with Ranged Combat

3 +3 with eb strike

Skills Cost: 26

Cost Perk

6 Reputation: old school super (A large group) 14-, +2/+2d6

1 Fringe Benefit: Basic 8- Contact

2 Favor

1 Fringe Benefit: Passport

Perks Cost: 11

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Hunted: villan de' jour 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

10 Distinctive Features: Mutant Not Concealable, Always Noticed, Detectable Only By Unusual Senses

15 Psychological Limitation: code vs murder (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protects Innocents (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Common, Strong)

25 Psychological Limitation: Dedicated To Truth, Justice, And the American way Very Common, Total

15 Dependent NPC: E.P. Tayler(spunky newspaper photographer) 11- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Unaware of character's Secret ID)

30 Dependent NPC: The Nun's of Our Lady of Perpetual Sorrow Orphanage 8- (Incompetent; Group DNPC: x8 DNPCs)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (August Summers, Amway dealer) Frequently (11-), Major

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Background

August Summers was left on the steps of Our Lady of Perpetual Sorrow Orphanage in august 1932. August's odd name was the result of Sister Regina's rather dry sense of humor and Mother Superiors total lack of imagination. Between the lightning quick rulers of the Nuns and the "boxing" lessons of Father Patrick a strong sense of morality was beaten into him. August was always odd, he aged a half the rate as other children, but when his powers manifest Father Patrick saw it as just plane demonic. The exorcism for August Summers was long and grueling and August almost died, twice. In the end August learned to suppress his powers he was eight years old. It would be almost 10 years before he would use his powers again. It happened on an unseasonable hot May afternoon. Sister Marget had taken some of the older children on a field trip to the Muncie Tulip Festival. The Human Dynamo had just foiled the latest attempt by Doctor Destroyer to take over the world and a titanic battle ensued. Its not clear what if anything Tulips may have played in DR. Destroyers plans. What was clear was that a majority of the First National Bank of Muncie had be launched nearly a half mile into the air. While Dynamo was able prevent much of the resulting collateral damage, he was not going to be able to prevent a two ton block of granite from sending Sister Margret to her eternal reward. It was by pure instinct that August summoned a dome of force to protect Sister Margret. A truly impressed Dynamo took a second to muss August's hair and declare "Amazing kid, amazing!" before rushing off to save a family of four. (Keep in mind the 17 year old August could have passed for a scrawny 12 year old at the time.) After Sister Margret explained that August's powers where not demonic, they where in fact a gift from God and he had a responsibility to use his gift for the betterment of mankind. And so a new Hero was born... Kid Amazing! With his reduced aging It took an embarrassingly long time to drop the "Kid" and become... Mr. Amazing.

So let me Know what you think...

Re: (character) Mr. Amazing

On first glance, I think he'll work. A very simple build, but the Golden Age heroes usually only had a few powers.

I'll look him over some more, and see if I can come up with any other comments or suggestions.

I love the write-up. Plain, direct, and clear.

He's going to run out of END extremely quickly.

I like the tribute elements, the references to things I liked from Plastic Man and X-men, for instance. I like how his slow-aging made him the 'right' age for 'mutant' to be an appropriate DF, for example. That's extremely clever.

Anything that can withstand his EB ought to be able to crush his force wall and knock him out in one hit, if it's a balanced opponent. Anything else doesn't look like much of a challenge or a worthy opponent, so wouldn't really rate as a hunted, even as a villain du jour (I never liked this type of ill-defined hunted myself.. just seemed like points for nothing, and prefer unknown or mystery hunteds).

The perks seem well-distributed, and I'd like to see more about them both in the write-up and in their details (though, that'd be campaign dependent).

Let me see if I understand: he's got a restrainable power and a forcewall he can use together to prevent his restrainable power from being restrained except in the most extraordinary circumstances? Is that really worth -1/2?

I like old-school, and this hits the mark in the ways that are important, the concept and flavor of the character's story.

He's got an OCV of 13 with a 14 DC attack that avoids barriers while he's immune to attacks by most sample characters built on his point level?

Vanilla "Force" is a fairly uninteresting special effect for me, and I'm not sure I'd let it qualify for an EC in my campaigns as it stands. If it were allowed, keep in mind for a mutant, he'd be coming up against things that affect his EC for most encounters.

10 pts of noncombat skills, half of which are combat affecting (for PRE attacks), seems.. even for an old-school superhero.. too little.

What the heck is a Code vs. Murder, that it makes itself worth 15 pts as a Psych. Lim? And where does it belong on a guy who does 14 DC's with his virtually unavoidable attack? If he'll kill when it isn't murder, enh. Not worth points in my campaign.

Overall really nice.

Comic, this is Dusty's first draft for this character. It's for a new, as yet not clearly defined campaign that I'll be running, hence the generic Disads. We'll get together and fit those into the campaign. As for your comments on the powers, we'll be sitting down and discussing (and tweaking) those as well. I do think that they could using some "adjustment". I'd say that a bit of tweaking and a little fleshing out are all the character really needs.

My goal with Mr A was a chr with Meat and potatoes power with a heaping helping of personality. YUMMY!! :thumbup:

The problem I've had with past chrs is when I give them creative powers they often end up underpowered and I get no respect in combat. Now keep in mind I'm not a power gamer or a munchkin. One of my chrs has a 100pt psionic vpp and I run him as a wuss. So when given an uber powered chr I pull back the power level but I can't up the power of an under powered chr.

Then I realized, to me, powers are secondary to personality. So I gave Mr A. a big attack power a big movement power and 2 big defense powers and went to work on his personality. Most of his personality is still in my head(think John Wayne meets Hank Hill with powers). If you look at my post count you can see I have a hard time putting my thoughts on paper(or computer screen). They keep squirming off the page.

And I appreciate your comments they are very help full. I've been playing for about 6 mo.

Thanx

Dusty

Let me see if I understand: he's got a restrainable power and a forcewall he can use together to prevent his restrainable power from being restrained except in the most extraordinary circumstances? Is that really worth -1/2?

He's got an OCV of 13 with a 14 DC attack that avoids barriers while he's immune to attacks by most sample characters built on his point level?

Vanilla "Force" is a fairly uninteresting special effect for me, and I'm not sure I'd let it qualify for an EC in my campaigns as it stands. If it were allowed, keep in mind for a mutant, he'd be coming up against things that affect his EC for most encounters.

Ok I think I may have fixed some of Your concerns....

Mr. Amazing

Player: dusty

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

20 DEX 30

25 CON 30

15 BODY 10

9 INT -1

14 EGO 8

20 PRE 10

10 COM 0

5/20 PD 2

5/20 ED 0

4 SPD 10

11 REC 6

50 END 0

50 STUN 14

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 124

Cost Power

35 TK: Elemental Control, 70-point powers

40 1) Telekinesis (40 STR), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (75 Active Points)

28 2) TK sled: Flight 10", x16 Noncombat, rapid Noncombat movement (+1/4), Usable Simultaneously (up to 4 people at once; +3/4) (70 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

47 3) TK Field (15 PD/15 ED/10 Mental Defense/10 Power Defense/2 Flash Defense: Hearing Group/4 Flash Defense: Sight Group) (Protect Carried Items), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (82 Active Points)

35 4) TK Wall (10 PD/10 ED; 3" long and 2" tall), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (70 Active Points)

1 Life Support (Longevity: 200 Years)

Powers Cost: 186

Cost Skill

3 Breakfall 13-

3 PS: sales 13-

3 Oratory 13-

3 Hoist 11-

2 KS: Supervillans 11-

2 KS: US of A 11-

10 +2 with Ranged Combat

3 +3 with tk strike

Skills Cost: 29

Cost Perk

6 Reputation: old school super (A large group) 14-, +2/+2d6

2 Favor

1 Fringe Benefit: Passport

Perks Cost: 11

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Hunted: villan de' jour 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

10 Distinctive Features: Mutant Not Concealable, Always Noticed, Detectable Only By Unusual Senses

15 Psychological Limitation: code vs murder (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protects Innocents (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Common, Strong)

25 Psychological Limitation: Dedicated To Truth, Justice, And the American way Very Common, Total

15 Dependent NPC: E.P. Tayler(spunky newspaper photographer) 11- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Unaware of character's Secret ID)

30 Dependent NPC: The Nun's of Our Lady of Perpetual Sorrow Orphanage 8- (Incompetent; Group DNPC: x8 DNPCs)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (August Summers, Amway dealer) Frequently (11-), Major

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0