Variable Advatage vs Multipower

Kdansky

I found another weird mathematical anomaly: I tried to build a certain power a couple different ways, namely the ability to have an attack which can take on different shapes, resulting in Armor Piercing first, Penetrating if that fails, Explosion or AoE if enemies are numerous and if they really annoy you, use Autofire or something.

First build:

EB 10d6 - 50cp, OIF (-1/2), does not work if X (-1/2) (just assume it's -1/2)

Variable Advantage +1/2 (+1)

END cost: 10 (ouch)

total cost: 50 cp

Conclusion: Very clean build, does most of the things I want (though Autofire is impossible with 6 end per shot and the variable advantage does not include enough to add end cost reduction due to that being doubled if AF is applied). AoE also impossible since the cheapest AoE is nonselective +3/4.

Second version:

MP pool: 70 AP, OIF (-1/2), etc etc (-1/2). cost: 35 pts

all slots OIF+ETC (-1) too, making an ultraslot cost 3 pts.

That leaves me with (only) five slots and them I break even.

9d6 ArmorPiercing (67.5), 9d6 Penetrating, 8d6 AoE nonselective, 14d6 no advantage, 9d6 AF (5 shots) 32 charges (or 3 shots half end).

End cost: 7 for most slots, except if reduced (which would be possible).

Somehow the MP appeals much more to me.

At the numbers I chose the powers more or less break even, but for every 3 you add the MP gets another slot which helps a lot. I think the main problem with the VA is it's exact shape of 1/2. Having 3/4 sometimes helps a lot. If we want to add some rarely used slots we can also slap limitations on them, making them cost more end or low charges (e.g. the area thing can easily be limited to 2-3 charges, cutting the slot cost to 1), and in turn reducing the slot cost.

For me, MP clearly shines, since it works much better and if you customize it a lot, you get better suited powers for the same price.

And then, there's this bonus problem: I actually wanted to have Charges on the whole thing. Now with VA, this is easy and expensive (or very few charges total). With MP, you add 16 charges to each slot, resulting in lots and lots of shots (or reduce to 4-8 to get a couple points) for the same or cheaper price. Eh? And you could still add end cost too, if you really wanted to push the slot cost down.

And I was soooo happy to have found a use for variable advantage finally, when I turns out that MP is the better approach. :(

Re: Variable Advatage vs Multipower

Yeah, End is calculated off VA, sadly. Thanks for pointing me to that link, I'll read it.

Interesting, I could also build my power with VPP, I never thought about that. Hang on an hour, I'll try out what happens, I'll have to reread VPP, as I rarely use it.