Teaser?

Guest Keneton

Guest Keneton

I know the grimore is not out yet, but could you list the divisons of arcana for the Turakian Age as described in the sidebar of the chracter section of Fantasy Hero? I understand if this is giving out too much, but you already list a few. . Necromancy, Elemental magic (fire) etc.

I'd like the info for some FH conversion work I am doing.:)

I've moved this to the FH board, since it's not a rules question.

Sure, I can list 'em. Let's see if I can remember them off the top of my head:

Alchemy

Conjuration

Divination

Druidry (plant and animal magic)

Elemental Magic (air, earth, fire, water, misc.)

Enchantment (magic item creation)

Necromancy

Sorcery (mental magic, illusions, etc.)

Thaumaturgy (shapechanging and related disciplines)

Witchcraft

Wizardry (anything not fitting into another category)

There's also a section of Divine Magic (and Druidry sometimes doubles as divine as well).

The Turakian Age setting has some other types of magic, but they're very setting-specific, so I'm saving 'em for The Turakian Age setting book -- Turakian Theurgy, Ulronai warrior-magery, certain types of rune-magic, and so on. The FHG spells are more generally useful for multiple types of campaigns and settings.

One thing that I found out in one of my history classes was that there were actually five elements, not four. Hermetic lore (true lore, not the various gaming ones) had Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and Metal as the primary elements. I can come up with a primary source with a little research. I know that copies of some of their texts are available (with translations, of course) if anyone were interested.

Nightshade

No rune magic in the Grimore?

Nope, 'fraid not. With a subject as broad as "magic," I have to draw the line somewhere. Since runes make the most sense in a cultural context, where I can explain who uses them, what they signify, and so on, I'm going to save Turakian rune-magic for the Turakian Age setting book.

Originally posted by Nightshade

Hermetic lore (true lore, not the various gaming ones) had Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and Metal as the primary elements.

Originally posted by CorpCommander

Is Ether a primary element as well or part of AIR? I know the Greeks believed the planets were held in suspension in Ether.

According to the sources I've read Quintessence was the 5th element. Is Quintessence equivalent to Ether? I forget.