Standard Deviation and Intelligence

Agent X

Re: Standard Deviation and Intelligence

I think the reason isn't even a matter of Standard Deviation. Though your StDev agrees with my assertion. I feel that INT starts to break down the system somewhere above 30 or 35. This is mostly because INT is a 1 pt skill and is used for Perception rolls and most skills. 5 XP get you a +1 to all of your INT based full skills and Perception rolls.

With 51 points being the very beginning of superhuman intelligence you are talking all INT based skills an PER rolls starting off with a 19- meaning you need to throw down an eight or less penalty in order to start hitting a 50/50 on the die roll. Nevermind what would happen if you throw an INT Based RSR onto a Framework. You could have full slots of 80 pt powers and still succeed in using them 50% of the time.

I think the reason isn't even a matter of Standard Deviation. Though your StDev agrees with my assertion. I feel that INT starts to break down the system somewhere above 30 or 35. This is mostly because INT is a 1 pt skill and is used for Perception rolls and most skills. 5 XP get you a +1 to all of your INT based full skills and Perception rolls.

With 51 points being the very beginning of superhuman intelligence you are talking all INT based skills an PER rolls starting off with a 19- meaning you need to throw down an eight or less penalty in order to start hitting a 50/50 on the die roll. Nevermind what would happen if you throw an INT Based RSR onto a Framework. You could have full slots of 80 pt powers and still succeed in using them 50% of the time.

I'm not much on rules changes but I've always had trouble with too close a connection between intelligence and perception. As to the skill issue, I can see your point. I dunno how to fix it without causing other things I'd complain about.

You have a good point. I like to use the example of Tarzan as being one of the smartest' date=' if not the smartest, characters in novels. He taught himself English with a book - without anyone to demonstrate the sounds the alphabet represented![/quote']

I thought that was because there is a one point corespondance between chimp/gorilla and english so he got 1 point for free and went from there....:)

I am also not happy considering INT to be in any way related to IQ (whatever IQ may be...depends what you test for) because its main function is PER rolls so wolverine should have a higher INT than Professor X....lots of very gifted persons are "clueless" its a gereralization thats based on experience. It's by no means universal, but two genius characters might be differant because one has an Int of 8 and the other has a 20......

I thought that was because there is a one point corespondance between chimp/gorilla and english so he got 1 point for free and went from there....:)

I am also not happy considering INT to be in any way related to IQ (whatever IQ may be...depends what you test for) because its main function is PER rolls so wolverine should have a higher INT than Professor X....lots of very gifted persons are "clueless" its a gereralization thats based on experience. It's by no means universal, but two genius characters might be differant because one has an Int of 8 and the other has a 20......

I.Q. is short for Intelligence Quotient:

Main Entry: intelligence quotient

Function: noun

: a number used to express the apparent relative intelligence of a person that is the ratio multiplied by 100 of the mental age as reported on a standardized test to the chronological age called also IQ

Source: Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

I have to go with I.Q. and Intelligence as a stat being connected.

Did some more research and came up with this:

Standard Deviations to IQ-Wechsler to Hero Intelligence

-5 to 25 to 1

-4 to 40 to 2

-3 to 55 to 3

-2 to 70 to 5

-1 to 85 to 7

0 to 100 to 10

1 to 115 to 13 George Washington

(Kinetik is right in here. So is Steel Commando.)

2 to 130 to 18 Al Gore's estimated intelligence

(Defender would be in between Al Gore and Napoleon :cool: )

3 to 145 to 23 Napoleon Bonaparte

4 to 160 to 28 Stephen Hawking, Albert Einstein

(Mechanon is right in here but with his Overall Skill Levels...)

5 to 175 to 33 Immanuel Kant, Bobby Fischer, Galileo Galilei

(Dr. Destroyer is right in here but with his Overall Skill Levels...)

6 to 190 to 38 Sir Isaac Newton

(Mentiac of Unity is right in here.)

7 to 205 to 43 John Stuart Mill

(Mechanon's effective Intelligence with Skill Levels)

8 to 220 to 48 Leonardo da Vinci

(Teleios exceeds da Vinci's intelligence)

9 to too high to 53

(Dr. Destroyer's effective Intelligence with Skill Levels)

Anyway, some guys estimated intelligences* on these famous people. These guys are pretty smart sounding BUT it's all guesswork. Interestingly, my arbitrary decision to tie die roll thresholds with standard deviations worked quite well with Champions Genre ranges for human intelligence of a maximum of 50. Oh, and I added some Champs characters :)

I think for a lot of games out there that these ranges would alter the benchmarks for the suprageniuses in the campaign quite a bit. Food for thought...

*They use a Stanford-Binet chart but the variation isn't enough for me to alter especially since they are estimates in the first place.

More on frequencies of intelligence using my system which no one really cares about me. :winkgrin: (I'm not guessing so much now about it. I found a table. :cool:

84% of people have less than a 13 Intelligence.

97.8% of people have less than an 18 intelligence.

1 in 1,000 has an intelligence of 23

1 in 100,000 has an intelligence of 28

1 in 10,000,000 has an intelligence of 33

1 in 1 billion has an intelligence of 38

At this point the table stops but it looks like there is a certain progression that can be predicted so I will.

1 in 100 billion for a 43

1 in 10 trillion for a 48

Of course, there haven't been what? More than 14 billion human beings alive on the planet so something gets broken past 6 deviations AND there have been a small smattering of folks who have scored above the 6th deviation in the real world.

I know most people don't really care about this but I like to be able to come up with a benchmark so I can say my character has an x IQ and translate into intelligence just like I can say my character can lift x pounds and translate into strength.

I use NCM (with various exceptions) in my Heroic games. At the same time, its only useful for some genres and styles of play. This seems like it would work, but it also seems complex. I prefer simple and elegant. More power to you, though.

I use NCM (with various exceptions) in my Heroic games. At the same time' date=' its only useful for some genres and styles of play. This seems like it would work, but it also seems complex. I prefer simple and elegant. More power to you, though.[/quote'] I love me some benchmarks. :yes: