A sample Space Opera Starfighter

SuperPheemy

Before I dive headfirst into the mass that is Fantasy Hero, I wanted to do a little more work on my Galactic Champions/Space Opera setting. Thus, I've designed a mainstay of Space Opera, the single-pilot fighter craft.

If any of you are moved to feedback, I'm always open to suggestion. In designing this craft, I was trying to get a feel of Space Opera physics, where fighter craft zip around each other like WWII fighters in a dogfight.

SA339 Aerospace Fighter

Player:

Val Char Cost
30 STR 0
20 DEX 30
20 BODY 6
4 SPD 10
0" RUN-120" SWIM-20" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 70

Cost Power END
Power Systems
37 1) Main Power Plant: Endurance Reserve (100 END, 100 REC) (110 Active Points); OAF Immobile (-2)
9 2) Auxillary Power Plant: Endurance Reserve (25 END, 25 REC) (28 Active Points); OAF Immobile (-2)
Propusion Systems
60 1) Main Engines: Flight 30", Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4), Megascale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) (90 Active Points); Costs Endurance Costs END Every Phase (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) 9
10 2) Docking/Landing Thrusters: Flight 5"
Weapon Systems
41 1) Fire-Linked Blaster Arrays: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6 (vs. ED), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2) (112 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc of Fire 60 Degrees (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) 11
50 2) Anti-Ship Torpedo: Killing Attack - Ranged 10d6 (vs. ED), Armor Piercing x1 (+1/2) (225 Active Points); 2 Charges (-1 1/2), Limited Arc of Fire One Hex Row (-3/4), Only on the same horizontal level (-1/4), OIF (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Can Be Missile Deflected (-1/4)
Defensive Systems
15 1) Shielding: Armor (5 PD/15 ED) (30 Active Points); Ablative BODY Only (-1/2), Limited Defense 180 Degrees (-1/2) [Notes: Forward Shielding]
9 2) Shielding: Armor (5 PD/10 ED) (23 Active Points); Ablative BODY or STUN (-1), Limited Defense 180 Degrees (-1/2) [Notes: Aft Sheilding]
25 Sensor Array: Radar (Analyze, Discriminatory, Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree, Telescopic (+20)) (50 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1)
14 Tactical Communication Net: Mind Link (Specific Group of Minds), No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x32) (45 Active Points); Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), OIF Bulky (-1), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)
13 Environmental Controls: Life Support , Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum, Self-Contained Breathing (19 Active Points); Costs Endurance Costs END Every Phase (-1/2) (uses Personal END) 2
5 Inertial Compensation: Telekinesis (10 STR) (15 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (-1), OIF Bulky (-1), Affects Whole Object (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: Only to counter the effects of inertia on crew] 1
8 Combat Agility: +4 with single Characteristic Roll [Notes: Used only in Flight based rolls.]
Powers Cost: 296

Total Character Cost: 366

Val Disadvantages
25 Distinctive Features: Military Attack Spacecraft (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Disadvantage Points: 25

Base Points: 341

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Costs Endurance Costs END Every Phase (-1/2)

I think you don't need this. Don't those powers always cost endurance every phase?

Other than that little thing, it looks super. That torpedo is scary!

Combat Agility: +4 with single Characteristic Roll [Notes: Used only in Flight based rolls.]_

I saw a system that was similar to this in Star Hero which might intrest you, assuming you haven't seen it already.

Enhanced Flight Control: +4 to Combat Piloting roll (AP 8); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), (RC 3).

I'm not certain. Notice the Docking Thrusters entry below it. That one has no Advantages or Limitations, yet it doesn't generate an End Cost.

I put it together in Hero Designer, and used the fighter template on Page 223 of Star Hero. The fighter there also lists "Costs End" at a -1/2 Lim on its drives.

Oh, I see! I just got confused by the completeness with which you write things. I normally just write that as Costs END (-1/2). You definitely did it correctly, I just didn't read it carefully enough and thought you were trying increase the frequency of paying the endurance cost or something.

But this makes me think of something else. Does anyone know why docking thrusters are bought with no endurance cost? It seems slightly inconsistent.

Nice work.

The fact that all the weapons aren't multipowers, and especially that the sensors aren't a VPP, are definite and very big plusses, to me. I've never cared for writeups in that style.

The Tactical Communication Network as a Mind Link gives me a bit of pause, though it's perfectly fine. It does limit some of the potential for fun with EW/ECM/ECCM, though.

HR Radio sense/transmit with Telescopic, Rapid, and Concealment, plus Spatial Awareness with Telescopic and Affected as Radio, perhaps?

For Military craft, Difficult to Dispel might be handy on sensors/communications too, regardless of how they're written. One Megascaled Suppress/Dispel against a SFX of "sensors" (with personal immunity, natch) could silence the guns of an entire fleet...

Power supplies, too. Ick.

No non-ablative def? Once they start taking some fire they will fold pretty quickly. Even without the ablative disad two shots to the rear will hurt and three will kill. Of course this is exactly in line with Star Wars and Battle Star Galactica. Just make sure your pilots are expendable. :D

I also notice no Megascale on the attacks. Doesn't this leave their weapons really short ranged?

Yeah, the fighter's designed to be very Star Wars/ BattleStar Galactica in "feel". The reason for no Megascaling is because the fighter is intended to engage at close ranges, sort of like the carrier based fighters of WWII. (Note the Anti-Ship Torp). The big, Megascaled guns are reserved for the line ships.

I prefer Mind Link to HRRP because of the rubber science involved. I can still mess with the Tac Net with appropriate suppressions, but can present an easier suspension of disbelief when describing real-time voice communication between units light-seconds apart.