Fallout (Too)

Certified

While going through the threads over on the Champions Online site I saw several requests for Growth powers. This got me thinking about Fallout. It's been almost a year since I've had a chance to play him and it's been over a year getting to familiarize myself with the current Hero System.Sure he's a giant ball of radiation but what would I have done differently? After scanning through the book I noticed a little rider to Growth saying if it's intended to be persistent buy the bonuses not the power. So it was 1 AM and I got that itch. While putting him together I noticed he began taking on a more nut cracker shape as I tried to focus on nature of his powers and how the Radiation could permeate everything. Here we go Fallout Too he's a bit more of a nut cracker than the first rendition but I tried to keep him in line with the original. Hope you enjoy:

Fallout

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

40 STR 30 17- Lift 6400.0kg; 8d6 [4]

20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

23 CON 26 14-

23 BODY 26 14-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

20 EGO 20 13- ECV: 7

13 PRE 3 12- PRE Attack: 2 ½d6

0 COM -5 9-

8+20 PD 0 Total: 8/28 PD (0/20 rPD)

5+20 ED 0 Total: 5/25 ED (0/20 rED)

5 SPD 20 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

13 REC 0

46 END 0

55 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 156

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Flight: 22"/44"

Leaping: 8"/16"

Cost Powers END

15 Radiation Fields : Elemental Control, 60-point powers, (30 Active Points); all slots Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Must absorb ambient radiation ; -¾), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Cannot be used Underwater; -¼)

Notes: This requires at least one hour of direct exposure to radiation without the use of his other abilities

20 1) Irradiating Field : Energy Blast 3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½), Damage Shield (Offensive; +¾), No Normal Defense ([standard]; Radiation Shielding ; +1), Does BODY (+1) (71 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Must absorb ambient radiation ; -¾), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (No effect on lead. ; -¼) 0

15 2) Density Manipulation : Flight 22", Position Shift, Costs END Only To Activate (+¼) (61 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Must absorb ambient radiation ; -¾), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Cannot be used Underwater; -¼) 5

15 3) Radiating Aura : Force Field (20 PD/20 ED), Costs END Only To Activate (+¼), Hardened (+¼) (60 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Must absorb ambient radiation ; -¾), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Cannot be used Underwater; -¼) 5

15 4) Piercing the Fusion Reaction : No Normal Defense ([standard]; Radiation Shielding ; +1), Does BODY (+1) for up to 30 Active Points of STR (60 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Must absorb ambient radiation ; -¾), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (No effect on lead. ; -¼) 6

Radioactive Senses , all slots Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Must absorb ambient radiation ; -¾)

14 1) Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) with all Sense Groups (25 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Must absorb ambient radiation ; -¾) 0

7 2) Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), Tracking (15 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Must absorb ambient radiation ; -¾), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Blocked by lead.; -¼) 0

11 Semi-Solid State : +4 with DCV (20 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Must absorb ambient radiation; -¾)

Notes: This requires at least one hour of direct exposure to radiation without the use of his other abilities

3 Malleable Form : Extra Limbs (9999) (5 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Must absorb ambient radiation ; -¾) 0

42 Living Body of Radiation : Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping Character does not sleep) 0

1 Inhuman Mind: Mental Defense (5 points total) 0

10 Altered State of Being : Power Defense (10 points) 0

Talents

3 Lightning Calculator

Skills

3 Cryptography 13-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Paramedics 13-

3 PS: American Football 17-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Biochemistry 13- (3 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Biology 13- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: Medicine 13- (3 Active Points)

2 4) SS: Radiology 13- (3 Active Points)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 194

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

20 Distinctive Features: Swirling body of radiation (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Watching: The secret organization that caused Fallout’s rebirth. 8- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

10 Physical Limitation: Alien Physique (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)

10 Physical Limitation: Extremely Large, cannot use normal clothes or items (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

10 Physical Limitation: Sinks like a stone in water, cant swim or float (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)

Notes: Due to Fallout’s unique nature when submerged in water he is forced to pullback to contain himself preventing any diffusion. While in this diminished state he is unable to swim.

20 Psychological Limitation: Code Versus Killing Common, Total

10 Psychological Limitation: Subject to strong media rumors about his moral character (Uncommon, Strong)

20 Reputation: May cause cancer from exposure (false) , 14- (Extreme)

20 Social Limitation: Public Identity (Many Enemies) Frequently (11-), Severe

20 Susceptibility: Surrounded by lead or water 3d6 damage per Minute (Common)

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Background/History: Jason Burrows was once an almost normal collage student, studying to become a Radiologist. With grades just above average and a fondness of sports Jason never conceived of the strange mutagenic powers growing within him. When one of his professors noticed that his body carried abnormal amounts of radiation his name and information was logged for future review. For whatever reason, Jason’s body did not dissipate any of the ambient radiation absorbed during day to day activities.

Jason’s data was forwarded to an organization that preyed on weak mutants looking to capitalize on their abilities before they realized their potential. Monitoring his progress though collage his body already contained lethal levels of radiation before his senior year. Self contained, it was only detectable though blood sampling and other detailed analysis. To avoid harming the young man the professor who originally made the discovery kept Jason’s medical files confidential working with his doctors. This set Jason up for the event that forever changed his life.

Just out of collage Jason was offered an internship with one of the leading hospitals in the country for cancer therapy specializing in radiotherapy. On his first day Jason was trapped inside a clean room with an experimental XBRT laser where he was bombarded with the ultra high levels of radiation. The beam controlled from the outside had been modified increase the output ten thousand fold, fatal to a normal man within seconds.

On that day Jason Burrows died. His body burned away from the inside in a nuclear fire. Fallout was born, his consciousness existing within the field of static electricity created in ambient radiation. The resulting explosion of his birth destroyed nearly half the wing; eighteen dead in the explosion and another sixty four from radiation exposure in the weeks after. Since that day Fallout has undergone extreme scientific observation but so far it seems he can contain the radioactive elements that comprise his consciousness in a semisolid body.

Personality/Motivation: When unidentified military forces attacked the research facility Jason was being held he was instrumental in their defense. Fallout has aided the military and policing organizations on numerous occasions helping to quell super powered threats. However, to this day seeks revenge on the organization that ended his chances at a normal life and has dedicated himself to stopping the machinations of science out of control. He accepts the need for experimentation and the progress of technology and does not fear scientific advancement but cannot abide by the loss of an individual’s right to choose.

Quote:

Powers/Tactics: In battle Fallout centers himself away from friendly combatants using his size and strength to maneuver opponents often throwing them around with ease. His semisolid state allowing him bursts with radioactive energy debilitating nearby foes. Note: When Fallout’s cohesion is threatened he will pull himself into a dense collection of matter appositely the size of a normal person, as described under appearance.

Campaign Use:

Appearance: A pulsing humanoid shaped ball of crackling radioactive energy. A red eye of force float within the center. With concentration Fallout can return to a semi-humanoid state. While humanoid his flesh retains the same red-green hue constantly flickering and rippling as if trying to burst free of the skin.

Re: Fallout (Too)

For one, you can't just take one martial maneuver.

For another, you can't just link everything off of Life Support. Not only is it persistant and costs no END, but it's got fewer points than most of the powers you've linked to it, and you can't use it at any value other than full, really, so that limitation isn't a limitation.

I would have just bought all of those as OIHID, myself.

I expect that once you fix the linkspam, you'll be quite a few points over.

I agree with Question Man, the character is very nice (not the kind of thing I would ever want to play, but really well written).

The problem is Braincraft is absolutely correct. You cannot purchase only 1 maneuver, and the linked is illegal.

Even if you could legally link all of his powers to his life support, there are still things wrong with it.

1) You cannot get the bonus for "Must use power at full value" when linking to a power that only has 1 value. So the value of Linked would be reduced by 1/4 for all the powers

2) The "greater power" is the one with the higher active point value, the "lesser power" is the one with the lower active point value. If a greater power is linked to a lesser power, the value of the linked is reduced by 1/4. Therefore any power he possesses that is more than 49 AP must have its linked value reduced.

So at the most the linked would be worth -1/2, but everything in the EC would get only -1/4. And thats if they could get any limitation for linked at all.

There is one flaw in Braincraft's suggested fix, though. If the character is stuck permanently as a radiation creature he can't have OIHID.

Removing the linked did shoot him well above 350. I've edited Fallout replacing the Linked with Limited based on his Susceptibility and reduced the overall power level of his Elemental Control. (Strength was dropped as well.) In addition I've added some clarity to the Fuel Dependency and expanded what powers require the radiation bath. Because Linked was removed, I moved the Lightening Calculator back to Talents. Also, Fast Strike was removed all together but can someone clarify why one cannot take a single martial maneuver?

Hopefully this brings Fallout up to code as it were, enjoy.

Removing the linked did shoot him well above 350. I've edited Fallout replacing the Linked with Limited based on his Susceptibility and reduced the overall power level of his Elemental Control. (Strength was dropped as well.) In addition I've added some clarity to the Fuel Dependency and expanded what powers require the radiation bath. Because Linked was removed, I moved the Lightening Calculator back to Talents. Also, Fast Strike was removed all together but can someone clarify why one cannot take a single martial maneuver?

Hopefully this brings Fallout up to code as it were, enjoy.

I don't have my book in front of me, but I remember Martial arts having a minimum number of maneuvers listed in the skill description. I think its 4 or 5.

If it isn't in the skill description its in the Martial Arts section in the back of the book.

I hate to be the continual bearer of bad news, but you still have a couple of mistakes.

20 1) Irradiating Field : Energy Blast 3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½), Damage Shield (Offensive; +¾), No Normal Defense ([standard]; Radiation Shielding ; +1), Does BODY (+1) (71 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Must absorb ambient radiation ; -¾), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (No effect on lead. ; -¼) 0
You can't have get points for the power not working against its NND defense.

To clarify: Lead is a form of radiation shielding. Because the power is an NND with the defense being "radiation shielding" the power does not work against lead by default. Since the power does not work against lead, you cannot get points for the disadvantage "Limited Power, does not work against lead".

15 2) Density Manipulation : Flight 22", Position Shift, Costs END Only To Activate (+¼) (61 Active Points); Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; Must absorb ambient radiation ; -¾), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Cannot be used Underwater; -¼) 5
Flight does not work while fully submerged by default. You need a +1/4 advantage "Usable Underwater" in order to do it. So you can't get any points for his flight not working while underwater.

a) What are his refueling needs? If he can charge up just by being anywhere, it's worth no points. If he needs to stop and rest for an hour every six hours, that's kind of a pain in the ass. What counts as 'ambient radiation'? Sunlight? Being inside a nuclear reactor? Eating weaponized plutonium? Sitting in a locked room, feeding off neutrinos? Getting an x-ray taken? Can he extend the time between recharges if he hardly uses his powers? Can he shorten the time between recharges if he pushes a lot? Why did you use this limitation instead of with a disadvantage or END Reserve? Is the answer 'to shave points'? You might get dirty looks from your GM.

B) You're going to be toast the first time you meet Hydro-Man, or do anything near water. This is like Green Lantern being beaten up by a guy in a banana costume.

I don't have my book in front of me, but I remember Martial arts having a minimum number of maneuvers listed in the skill description. I think its 4 or 5.

If it isn't in the skill description its in the Martial Arts section in the back of the book.

The revised 5th edition (pg 64) gives the minimum as 10 points worth of maneuvers, it can be two 5 pointers, or 4 3 pointers, or whatever.

a) What are his refueling needs? If he can charge up just by being anywhere, it's worth no points. If he needs to stop and rest for an hour every six hours, that's kind of a pain in the ass. What counts as 'ambient radiation'? Sunlight? Being inside a nuclear reactor? Eating weaponized plutonium? Sitting in a locked room, feeding off neutrinos? Getting an x-ray taken? Can he extend the time between recharges if he hardly uses his powers? Can he shorten the time between recharges if he pushes a lot? Why did you use this limitation instead of with a disadvantage or END Reserve? Is the answer 'to shave points'? You might get dirty looks from your GM.

B) You're going to be toast the first time you meet Hydro-Man, or do anything near water. This is like Green Lantern being beaten up by a guy in a banana costume.

A- I'm not sure if sunlight would cover it, maybe with the hour of downtime needed it might work. When we played in the last campaign Fallout lived inside a nuclear reactor. I would think some direct source of low level radiation like several microwaves or a wall of old televisions in addition to sunlight might be enough. That's one I would leave in GM's hands to make a final call. The other way I would set the powers up would be that he lost AP without direct exposure to radiation but Fuel Dependent seemed to be the closest I could get other than Dependence and I didn't want to take that six times.

B- Depends is it this Banana? I removed the Limited from his Force Field to help with the Bananaman problem.