Exploding Dice

JohnTaber

Re: Exploding Dice

Hi Doc: Nice thread. :)

More data that is influencing this...from a campaign that I am running now...

I am currently using a meta gaming bennie concept similar to fan mail from Primetime Adventures in a Fudge based Victorian horror game. For some reason my players are having a hard time getting into the meta gaming mechanic. Thus my thought is to avoid a mechanic of any kind that relies on judgements of other PC actions. Yours idea do not do this but I wanted to give mpore background.

Lots of players dont like wild dice (as they were called in D6 Star Wars) possibly because they throw up lots of wild events, things that you cannot plan for and, like any other critical system, work against PCs in the long term if everyone has access to them.

Now. If the system has no drawbacks (such as lots of ones cause bad things to happen) and only the heroes and named villains can explode their dice then I think the players are more likely to buy into it - no-one wants their Hero PC taken down by a rock thrown by an exceptionally lucky peasant....

I am planning the later. There would essentially be no drawback AND it would be a mechanic only for the PC and key NPC who are "blessed by spirits".

I would be careful in the implementation that it doesn't happen too often that it becomes just another part of rolling damage - it should be special and deliberate (though the effects would be open to chance).

Why should I be careful making this just another part of rolling damage? What is the drawback? To me is seems like this would be an advantage...

Again...great reply...thanks! :thumbup:

Why should I be careful making this just another part of rolling damage? What is the drawback? To me is seems like this would be an advantage...

Again...great reply...thanks! :thumbup:

I was talking about how the players relate to the mechanic rather than the practicalities of it.

If it is something that is invoked and special to the player then it is more likely to invoke some special feel for the game as well. So if you are going to add to the administration side of the game you want to ensure it ties in with the feel of the game thus justifying the extra bit of admin and, hopefully, making the players look forward to invoking it rather than thinking that this just makes a long combat system that bit longer.

:)

Did I explain that clearly - just dashing out of the office....

Doc

I was talking about how the players relate to the mechanic rather than the practicalities of it.

If it is something that is invoked and special to the player then it is more likely to invoke some special feel for the game as well. So if you are going to add to the administration side of the game you want to ensure it ties in with the feel of the game thus justifying the extra bit of admin and, hopefully, making the players look forward to invoking it rather than thinking that this just makes a long combat system that bit longer.

:)

Did I explain that clearly - just dashing out of the office....

Doc

Gotcha. Now I understand. Good thought...hummm...I'll have to decide how I want to proceed. Thanks again! :)