Affecting desol help...

Talon65

I'm currently playing a character in a Pulp crime fighting game that has desolid. The Wraith has been returned from the dead to exact vengeance for innocents that have died by violence. When taking the power the GM and I agreed that she would be affected by ego powers (as the rules require) and magic when desolid.

Well, we've been playing for several months and now the GM has decided that I have to come up with something else that she is affected by since magic isn't common enough and I'm coming up blank. I can't think of anything that fits within her "Spirit of Vengeance" concept. He made suggestions like fire, water or wind and one of the other players suggested cold iron like the Fae but even the GM doesn't think any of these are fitting (including his own) and now I have to come up with something...

Any ideas or suggestions?

Re: Affecting desol help...

Hmm... perhaps a few more details about the characters background, attitude, and other abilities would spark some ideas.

Looking at your description of the character, it sounds as though Wraith is a mystical "spirit of vengeance" type, returning violence for violence. Perhaps he would be metaphysically vulnerable to attacks that are not innately "violent" in their intent. For example, he may be affected by foes who are essentially innocent and don't desire harm to anyone, but merely to protect people from potentially deadly types like the Wraith. Because they lack the intent to cause harm they don't count as proper targets for vengeance. Many heroic characters may be of that persuasion, and might oppose Wraith's tactics. Another possibility would be "passive" non-violent combat options that don't directly cause harm, like Entangling Wraith in a net, or Grabbing him just to restrain him.

Hope that helps. Again, more details might suggest more alternatives. :)

Well, her background is kinda unknown. The character is a ripo..eer "homage" to Adam Hughes' "Ghost". Hey, I was in a squeeze to come up with a character...

She woke up in a buried coffin and in a panic, popped out of the grave (desolid) with no memories whatsoever. In game, she has found out that she's a spirit of vengeance and Death himself has paid her a visit and lamented that she was taken from him by a "superior". The group has assumed that she died violently herself. She's currently taken the alias "Rebecca White" (the name on the head stone of the grave she arose from) and works as a secretary for one of the other player characters (who's a private dick) and is looking for clues to her past.

She's a little on the cold side, professional and aloof in regards to her personality as Rebecca White. She's even colder as the Wraith. She has no problem with taking out someone guilty of murder in front of witnesses and has point blank, shot dead an unarmed serial killer that was begging for his life because justice must be served. Even The Shadow has looked at her askance.

As a spirit of vengeance, she has Desolid, Flight linked to desolid, Retrocog with no conscience control (the dead come to her to ask for retribution against their murderers), Regen linked to Simulate Death, Two handed ranged fighting (two Colt 1911's 'natch), Rapid Fire, Life Support: Does not need to eat, sleep or breath (she's dead or at least something in between) and Insta Change. She also has psych lims: Vengeful and Vigilante Mentality. So far, her skills include Deduction, Criminology, Seduction, Persuasion and few others she's picked up since rising from the grave.

That help?

I'm thinking along the lines of traditional folklore regarding ghosts or spirits. After posting the OP I thought about something like simple salt. Folklore is that spreading salt across your doorways and windows will keep out spirits. Maybe she could not go disolid if in a circle of salt or can't cross a line of sat while disolid and of course any one shooting rock salt out of a shotgun would hit her while desolid. I'm not to sure that will be what he has in mind since he can't tell me what he has in mind...

So any other ideas that might fit in with ghost folklore?

I'm currently playing a character in a Pulp crime fighting game that has desolid. The Wraith has been returned from the dead to exact vengeance for innocents that have died by violence. When taking the power the GM and I agreed that she would be affected by ego powers (as the rules require) and magic when desolid.

Well, we've been playing for several months and now the GM has decided that I have to come up with something else that she is affected by since magic isn't common enough and I'm coming up blank. I can't think of anything that fits within her "Spirit of Vengeance" concept. He made suggestions like fire, water or wind and one of the other players suggested cold iron like the Fae but even the GM doesn't think any of these are fitting (including his own) and now I have to come up with something...

Off the top of my head.

Holy objects is a pretty standard one for the undead.

You're kind of a spirit related to Death maybe anyone who has beaten you in a game or competition will always be able to bypass your Desolid (An extention of the Chess thing)

You're a Spirit of Vengeance maybe the rightous can always bypass it (I'd probably require a detect with this one so it's a bigger change)

And just as an FYI your sig quote comes from Cesare the Marquis of Beccaria rather than Jefferson.

Thanks for the ideas. I've already talked to the GM. He didn't think holy items was something someone would normally use as a weapon but I'll keep it "on file" incase we don't come up with something better.

And just as an FYI your sig quote comes from Cesare the Marquis of Beccaria rather than Jefferson.

Actually, Jefferson was qouting Cesare Beccaria so I've modified my sig just for you. :P

• 2 weeks later...

cold iron springs to mind as something that has been known to affect the supernatural' date=' and would probably be something a mystically inclined character would know about.[/quote']

Yeah, one of the other players suggested iron also but we decided it didn't really fit. Cold iron is usually associated with the Fae and she's not fae.

The GM has decided to run with the salt idea. If someone shoots her with rock salt while disolid, it will affect her. If she crosses a line of salt she will become solid or enters a circle drawn with salt she can't go disolid in the circle. Circles or a line of salt have no affect on her whatsoever when she is solid and this is in addition to being affected by Ego or Magic based powers.

Thanks for the replies guys.

• 2 weeks later...

The Pulp wonky-tech idea: Spirits are a manifestation of the electromagnetic energies that once inhabited a body. Determine the frequency that will act as a damping field to nullify that electric power and use a big Tesla coil to generate said frequency.

One British inventor, H. Grindell-Matthews, actually demonstrated his "mystery ray" apparatus in 1924 to a Popular Science Monthly writer in London (See: Pop. Sci. Monthly, Aug. 1924, P. 33). When his beam was directed toward the magneto system of a gasoline engine, it stopped the system. Afterwards, it ignited gun powder, lit an electric lamp bulb from a distance and killed a mouse in seconds! Grindell-Matthews said the secret was involved with the "carrier beam" he used to conduct a high-voltage, low-frequency electrical current. During 1936, Guglielmo Marconi experimented with extremely low frequency (ELF) waves and displayed their exceptional ability to penetrate metallic shielding. These waves could affect electrical devices, overload circuits and cause machines like generators, electric motors and automobiles to stall. Diesel engines, which do not rely on electrical ignition, were not affected. Mysteriously, Marconi's research on the subject was never found after the war.

Use a big Tesla coil to