New Mechanic: STR Rules For Handling Lift

STR Rules For Handling Lift

A single source of STR may lift it's normal referenced value of mass (maximum lift) at no penalty regardless of it the definition of the source (limbs/lever/hydrolic).

Lifting an object that is less than the maximum lift grants a bonus to manipulating the object (+1 Bonus per 5 STR Above What Is Needed To Lift Object).

Lifting an object that exceeds your lifting mass incurs a penalty to manipulating the object and possibly other penalties as the GM sees fit (-1 Penalty per 5 STR Point Difference Between Maximum Lift and What Is Needed To Lift Object).

Multiple sources of STR may be used to lift an object that normally would be unmanageable with any one single source of STR.

Multiple Source Maximum Lift = Largest STR + (Half STR Value Of Each Additional Source Of STR)

Examples:

10 STR + 10 STR + 10 STR = 10 + 5 + 5 = 20 STR Maximum Lift

30 STR + 20 STR + 10 STR = 30 + 10 + 5 = 45 STR Maximum Lift

Just An Idea

- Christopher Mullins

Re: New Mechanic: STR Rules For Handling Lift

What would the bonus/penalty for manipulation add to? If it is OCV then I'm detecting a potential problem. 60 STR Guy picks up a 50kg lump of metal and he can take the wings off a fly with it. :D

On the 'adding strength' thing, I like it but...

I like it because it makes adding strength very easy, but it seems odd that if 60 STR Guy enlists the help of a puny normal (say 10 STR Guy) then he can lift twice the weight he can normally manage. I can see the potential for considerable abuse.

Nice to see you churning out innovations again :thumbup:

What would the bonus/penalty for manipulation add to? If it is OCV then I'm detecting a potential problem. 60 STR Guy picks up a 50kg lump of metal and he can take the wings off a fly with it. :D

I left that vague specifically. My preference would have it apply to the Manipulation Mechanic, but since such a mechanic doesn't exist yet, that doesn't help. (8^D)

Yes, if applied to OCV directly, it would have potential problems, but if applied to DEX directly or to the Block Maneuver (using the object for that purpose), it might add some additional flexibility.

The best thing about this method is that allows one to try and lift heavier objects at the expense of other things as the GM sees fit.

On the 'adding strength' thing, I like it but...

I like it because it makes adding strength very easy, but it seems odd that if 60 STR Guy enlists the help of a puny normal (say 10 STR Guy) then he can lift twice the weight he can normally manage. I can see the potential for considerable abuse.

Yeah, not sure what to do about that, unless you think it should be a Third or Fourth or something like that would be more appropriate.

Nice to see you churning out innovations again :thumbup:

Been busy with those annoying real life things again. (8^D)

- Christopher Mullins

We already have rules for "multiple sources of lifting" that both make sense and are easy to use. Why remake the wheel?

So if my character has 10 Arms, I have 10 Sources Of Lifting, right? (8^D)

- Christopher Mullins

I've used a simple rule for lifting (also breaking things) - you simply add the capacity of the STR, not the actual numbers.

So if STR 10 Normal tries to help Captain Humongous (60 STR) to lift a tank, his extra 100 kg of lifting capacity is essentially pointless. If, on the other hand, 2 x 10 STR guys (lifting capacity 100 kg each) help a 20 STR (400 kg) guy lift something, their total lifting capacity is 600 kg - which (when it comes to them helping him break or move something) is equivalent to about 23 STR.

Characters can choose (when it comes to breaking things) to work out if it's more effective all tugging on it individually (2x 10 STR attacks, 1 x 20 STR, for example) or all trying to coordinate and applying one 23 STR attack. This only applies if they can all feasibly apply their STR on the target at once, of course, and it just lies there passively letting them all work on it. It never applies to a resisting target which must be attacked normally.

cheers, Mark