Golem of the Ring

PerennialRook

Can I take the obvious inaccesable focus limitation for a follower if it is tied to a magic ring worn?

The maiden Julianna (built on 75 points plus 75 points disadvantages) is protected by an iron golem (120 points plus 75 points disadvantages) whose commands she gives through the power of a ring (60 Active Points. -1/2 OIF. Total Cost: 40 Points).

-Preston

A Follower costs 1 for 1 if their points exceed the buying character's. So (120 - 75) + 75 / 5 = 60, and my calculator does not embarass me on that one. Thank you HP.

Your golem would be an automaton, right?

If so, then you must define how you give it orders, which can be anything, and in your character's case it would be her ring. It could be a command word and anyone who learned the command work and mimiced her voice could command the golem, which is from the example on FRed page 310.

If your golem was a free willed follower then it might be able to take a disadvantage. Physical (or Psycho) Lim, Must Obey Whoever wears the ring.

On the other hand. :)

If you want to take the OIF limitation, then I say you would have to buy a Summon power and make the ring a focus for that power. It might cost less too.

Summon 200 pt Iron Golem 40pts

Slavishly Loyal +1 (80 AP)

OIF Ring -1/2 (53 CP)

Then you could take other limitations on the power, like extra time, or independant. The golem will stay with you for as long as you want, being slavishly loyal. A drawback will Summon is that the golem becomes more of a tool and less of a potential NPC that your character can become attached too.

Ok, I think I've gone on enough.

Curse you Hero system discussion boards for tempting me so!

Originally posted by Nevenall

A Follower costs 1 for 1 if their points exceed the buying character's. So (120 - 75) + 75 / 5 = 60, and my calculator does not embarass me on that one. Thank you HP.

Smacks forhead. Of course it does. Somehow I completely missed that highly relevant point. Oh well I still wouldn't allow a focus disad on a follower.

If you are using a summon wouldn't you also need the +1 addvantage Specific Being? After all it is not just any iron golem it is Julianna's iron golem. She will always get the exact same one, rather than a different one each time.

That would raise the cost to 120AP and 80CP.

Yes, it would require a specific being advantage, but for an maiden with an iron golem at her command, I think I can make an exception. :D

Using summon, she would have the same golem for at least as long as it lived. I think.

But with a follower you get more of a chance to roleplay.

Of couse you could take specific being, and then indepentant. Make it a magic ring.

Originally posted by PerennialRook

She doesn't summon the Golem, it is always there. It doesn't follower her, it follows the ring. I would assume however, that taking independant on the ring would be too much, though I don't see how she could replace or recover a unique item such as this.

Go with buying the Golem as a follower with a psych/phys disadvantage: Follows orders of the ring bearer. If I'm remembering my follower rules correctly, you'll still get a point-break with the follower's disadvantage.

!DrFurious!

Originally posted by PerennialRook

I thought disadvantages for the follower couldn't be advantagous to the followee.

Well, since a follower is generally co-operative (otherwise he wouldn't be a follower) the disadvantage doesn't *really* change this much. It does open the door to someone else obtaining the ring and using the follower against other - in my book that does qualify as a disadvantage for the follower.

I suspect that your statement applies to summoned creatures, not followers. I don't have my book handy so I can't confirm one way or the other.

!DrFurious!