Jedi hdp and lightsaber

badger3k

Somewhere on this site (I think), I picked up an hdp file simply called jedi.hdp. I can't find where I got it again, and I had some questions regarding the build. It had an unusual EC in it:

Lightsaber: Elemental Control, 130-point powers, all slots -1 Decreased STUN Multiplier (+0) (65 Active Points); all slots OAF Durable (-1), EGO Minimum 18 (CV penalties as though STR Minimum) (-1), No Knockback (-1/4), No Bleeding (-1/4), Untunable (Always Max Dice) (-1/4)

1) Lightsaber: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2 1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), AVLD vs. Combat Luck, Dodge-Based Defense, or Force Field/Wall (+3/4), Does BODY (+1) (130 Active Points); EGO Minimum 18 (CV penalties as though STR Minimum) (-1), OAF Durable (-1), EGO Minimum 18 (CV penalties as though STR Minimum) (-1), No STR Bonus (Adds Martial DCs at 4:1) (-1/2), Untunable (Always Max Dice) (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), No Bleeding (-1/4), Untunable (Always Max Dice) (-1/4)

2) Active Lightsaber: Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Damage Shield (+1/2), AVLD (vs. Combat Luck, Dodge-Based Defense, or Force Field; +3/4), Does BODY (+1), Continuous (+1) (119 Active Points); EGO Minimum 18 (CV penalties as though STR Minimum) (-1), OAF Durable (-1), EGO Minimum 18 (CV penalties as though STR Minimum) (-1), Specific Beam Only (Only With Block / Missile Deflection / Beam Touched) (-1/4), Untunable (Always Max Dice) (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), No Bleeding (-1/4), Untunable (Always Max Dice) (-1/4)

I'm trying to see why they went with the HKA (but no str) rather than an RKA (no range). Is it to get the martial DCs? I'm also curious as to the Does Body advantage on a Killing Attack. Isn't it redundant? And the Ranged Damage Shield is just weird. If anyone built this, can you explain this? (2edit - Looking it up, AVLD is Stun only, so the Does Body works, but I wonder why HD didn't recognize it. Maybe the hdp is from an older version?)

My take on the Lightsaber is simple:

Lightsaber: RKA 2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Must Be Used At Full Power (-1/4) Real Cost: 9

Everything else can be done with CSLs, martial arts skills, or the missile defense power.

Edit - I may have pulled it off the HD vault. I'll have to check.

Edit 3 - I checked the hdp - they used a custom power rather then AVLD, so the program didn't recognize that and saw a redundant advantage.

Re: Jedi hdp and lightsaber

RKA because it's not a strength-based weapon. HHKA based on Ego would be interesting. I like the min Ego requirement. They took Untunable twice, so I would probably not allow it. :) The wounds are only semi-coagulated, so the victims do bleed slightly -- I'd go with reduced bleeding rather than no bleeding, and not give a penalty.

I usually buy it as an AWLD, the defense being forcefields or other lightsabers. Does body, of course. Real cost is bloody expensive. I like the AWLD inclusion of Combat Luck.

RKA because it's not a strength-based weapon. HHKA based on Ego would be interesting. I like the min Ego requirement. They took Untunable twice, so I would probably not allow it. :) The wounds are only semi-coagulated, so the victims do bleed slightly -- I'd go with reduced bleeding rather than no bleeding, and not give a penalty.

I usually buy it as an AWLD, the defense being forcefields or other lightsabers. Does body, of course. Real cost is bloody expensive. I like the AWLD inclusion of Combat Luck.

Damn - I meant to put that in, but missed it. Good catch. Given my second edit (above), I need to make it:

Lightsaber: RKA 2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Does BODY (+1), AVLD (Lightsaber, FF, FWall, Combat Luck; +1 1/2) (120 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Must Be Used At Full Power (-1/4) for 25 real cost.

I kept it independent since I haven't seen anything (in my limited experience) that says the lightsaber is a personal item. Given that my concept for the campaign would be Heroic, this might not be paid with points, but that's not set in stone. Since a Jedi should make his own lightsaber, it makes more sense to make it cost points.

Hmmmn. Mind if I jump in?

The Does Body advantage is for the AVLD. Normally, NND and AVLD do stun only.

Me personally, I reduce the value of AVLD to +1 and add Hardened DEF to the above. Just like the blast doors in Phantom Menace, some objects would just take time to get through. With Combat Luck as an additional defense, I may just cut mine down to +3/4. There are a lot of defenses available with all that.

I like the Only at Full Power Limitation. That makes a lot of sense.

I tend to give a high base damage simply because of the observed behavior in the films. If you allow for saber customizations, similar to the KotOR games, you might stick with the base 2d6 and allow for different focus crystals to provide additional damage.

So my write-up (with the new additions) would look something like;

Lightsabre:
Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Required Hands One-Handed (+0), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), AVLD - Force Field/Wall, Combat Luck and Hardened Defenses (+3/4), Does Body (+1) (146 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Full Power Only (-1/4)
Real Cost: 49

The Darth Maul Double Lightsaber would be the same except I would probably give it +2 PSL to offset Sweep penalties. It would also get the Two Handed requirement.

Everything I've read says that it is difficult to wield, so I might add in a -1/4 Limitation that increases the liklihood of Automatic Miss/Fumble to a natural roll of 17-18. I'm not happy with that entirely. I've also considered a Side Effect that reduces DCV if there is a missed attack, but I'm not happy with that either. Maybe a combination, like:

Side Effect: Character is at 1/2 DCV if he rolls an unmodified 17-18 on the attack dice. (-1/4)

I kind of like that. So....

Dual-Bladed Lightsaber
: (Total: 156 Active Cost, 52 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), AVLD - Force Field/Wall, Combat Luck and Hardened Defenses (+3/4), Does Body (+1) (146 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Full Power Only (-1/4), Side Effect: Character is at 1/2 DCV if an attack roll is an unmodified 17-18 (-1/4) (Real Cost: 45)
plus
+2 with HTH Combat (10 Active Points); Only to Offset Sweep Penalties (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7)
Real Cost: 52

And just for fun, Mace Windu's Lightsaber;

Mace Windu's Lightsaber:
(Total: 166 Active Cost, 56 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Required Hands One-Handed (+0), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), AVLD - Force Field/Wall, Combat Luck and Hardened Defenses (+3/4), Does Body (+1) (146 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Full Power Only (-1/4) (Real Cost: 49)
plus
+20 PRE (20 Active Points); Only to Cause Fear (-1), Activation Roll 11- (-1) (Real Cost: 7)
Real Cost: 56

I have this apocryphal story that runs through my head every once in a while. What if some street urchin found Mace Windu's lightsaber? As far as I know, he is the only canon character to have a purple blade. So the story in my head goes that some two-bit con artist finds Mace's saber and passes himself off as Mace. That works great, right up until he learns that none other than Darth Vader is looking for Mace Windu. So he passes it on in some pazaak game or other con.

Now that person decides to use the lightsaber as a leverage tool. Right up until he learns that Darth Vader is on his tail. Rinse and repeat until the identity of Mace Windu is subsumed by his lightsaber.

I added the Fear Only PRE, because everybody knows that Mace Windu was the only one with a purple lightsaber. The Activation roll serves the same purpose as a Recognition roll. "Mace Windu! Sure man, here's my stuff." or, "Mace who?"

And I'm done rambling. :)

Hmmmn. Mind if I jump in?

The Does Body advantage is for the AVLD. Normally, NND and AVLD do stun only.

Me personally, I reduce the value of AVLD to +1 and add Hardened DEF to the above. Just like the blast doors in Phantom Menace, some objects would just take time to get through. With Combat Luck as an additional defense, I may just cut mine down to +3/4. There are a lot of defenses available with all that.

I like the Only at Full Power Limitation. That makes a lot of sense.

I tend to give a high base damage simply because of the observed behavior in the films. If you allow for saber customizations, similar to the KotOR games, you might stick with the base 2d6 and allow for different focus crystals to provide additional damage.

So my write-up (with the new additions) would look something like;

Lightsabre:
Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Required Hands One-Handed (+0), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), AVLD - Force Field/Wall, Combat Luck and Hardened Defenses (+3/4), Does Body (+1) (146 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Full Power Only (-1/4)
Real Cost: 49

The Darth Maul Double Lightsaber would be the same except I would probably give it +2 PSL to offset Sweep penalties. It would also get the Two Handed requirement.

Everything I've read says that it is difficult to wield, so I might add in a -1/4 Limitation that increases the liklihood of Automatic Miss/Fumble to a natural roll of 17-18. I'm not happy with that entirely. I've also considered a Side Effect that reduces DCV if there is a missed attack, but I'm not happy with that either. Maybe a combination, like:

Side Effect: Character is at 1/2 DCV if he rolls an unmodified 17-18 on the attack dice. (-1/4)

I kind of like that. So....

Dual-Bladed Lightsaber
: (Total: 156 Active Cost, 52 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), AVLD - Force Field/Wall, Combat Luck and Hardened Defenses (+3/4), Does Body (+1) (146 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Full Power Only (-1/4), Side Effect: Character is at 1/2 DCV if an attack roll is an unmodified 17-18 (-1/4) (Real Cost: 45)
plus
+2 with HTH Combat (10 Active Points); Only to Offset Sweep Penalties (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7)
Real Cost: 46

And just for fun, Mace Windu's Lightsaber;

Mace Windu's Lightsaber:
(Total: 166 Active Cost, 56 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Required Hands One-Handed (+0), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), AVLD - Force Field/Wall, Combat Luck and Hardened Defenses (+3/4), Does Body (+1) (146 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Full Power Only (-1/4) (Real Cost: 49)
plus
+20 PRE (20 Active Points); Only to Cause Fear (-1), Activation Roll 11- (-1) (Real Cost: 7)
Real Cost: 56

I have this apocryphal story that runs through my head every once in a while. What if some street urchin found Mace Windu's lightsaber? As far as I know, he is the only canon character to have a purple blade. So the story in my head goes that some two-bit con artist finds Mace's saber and passes himself off as Mace. That works great, right up until he learns that none other than Darth Vader is looking for Mace Windu. So he passes it on in some pazaak game or other con.

Now that person decides to use the lightsaber as a leverage tool. Right up until he learns that Darth Vader is on his tail. Rinse and repeat until the identity of Mace Windu is subsumed by his lightsaber.

I added the Fear Only PRE, because everybody knows that Mace Windu was the only one with a purple lightsaber. The Activation roll serves the same purpose as a Recognition roll. "Mace Windu! Sure man, here's my stuff." or, "Mace who?"

And I'm done rambling. :)

I like it, but the hardened still bothers me. Unless you limit what can get hardened, that could lead to situations where a stormtrooper can resist lightsaber blows. That might be realistic, but the idea of an average blow (say 10 Body) being stopped by the armor is a bit...uncomfortable. I say this since hardened has normally been used to block AP attacks, and such armor may be common.

Maybe limit it to hardened material as opposed to hardened characters?

"Hardened" is a mistake' date=' I think. Remember, Qui-Gon could still cut through the blast doors.[/quote']

Didn't it take a bit longer then expected? I think there was something said about it taking more time to cut through some material, indicating that there are things that provide some resistance to the lightsaber. The question is how to work that within the mechanics.

It may just be that the doors had more BODY. That's pretty simple, right?

In my opinion' date=' the blast doors being that thick (well over a meter) jut gave them a [i']lot[/i] of BODY...
A whole lot of Body. Like in the hundreds. How many second was he doing that? 120? Little less/more? Let's go really conservative and say 5 Combat Turns (60 seconds). At speed 4, he is doing an average of 6 Body (using badger3k's write-up). So that is 24 Body per turn (no defense) times 5 turns. 120 Body for some blast doors?

Nothing wrong with that, but dang. :eek:

I like it, but the hardened still bothers me. Unless you limit what can get hardened, that could lead to situations where a stormtrooper can resist lightsaber blows. That might be realistic, but the idea of an average blow (say 10 Body) being stopped by the armor is a bit...uncomfortable. I say this since hardened has normally been used to block AP attacks, and such armor may be common.

Maybe limit it to hardened material as opposed to hardened characters?

How many characters are Hardened in Star Wars? :confused:

About the only time Lightsabers were used against Clone/Storm Troopers was in the prequels and it seemed to do a decent job at cutting through armor. I would say Clone/Storm Troopers do not have Hardened armor.

Vader seems to have had some Hardened Armor. That could have just been a special effect of his Combat Luck though.

Speeder bikes don't.

Metal rails don't.

AT-AT underbelly doors don't.

Wampas don't.

Personally, I'm not seeing a problem with Hardened myself. Then again, what works for me may not work for you. Just threw in an alternate concept.

:)

How many characters are Hardened in Star Wars? :confused:

About the only time Lightsabers were used against Clone/Storm Troopers was in the prequels and it seemed to do a decent job at cutting through armor. I would say Clone/Storm Troopers do not have Hardened armor.

Vader seems to have had some Hardened Armor. That could have just been a special effect of his Combat Luck though.

Speeder bikes don't.

Metal rails don't.

AT-AT underbelly doors don't.

Wampas don't.

Personally, I'm not seeing a problem with Hardened myself. Then again, what works for me may not work for you. Just threw in an alternate concept.

:)

That was really a question from me. I have no idea what, if anything, is hardened, but for me if there was something that could stop a lightsaber, you can bet that I would do my best to make sure my soldiers had it. Now, it could be expensive, but for an Empire? If blast door material, which has to be pretty common to be made into blast doors (and for doors to be effective, the walls have to be similar material or else it will save the doors but destroy everything else), will work against lightsabers, surely that material would be used in armoring soldiers who are going against Jedi. Having a technology that can produce blasters, hover vehicles, FTL drives in personal starcraft and the ability to destroy planets, making armor out of blast door metal surely can't be too hard.

It just makes no sense in game background terms, to me. Obviously YMMV.

There are also other ways of using hardened. A character might be really skilled at turning their body or rolling with a blow and negating the effects of a strike. This type of hardened would work against a lightsaber.

Other then that, as I said, I haven't really looked into it, so I'm assuming that you (and others) have more knowledge on which to base that decision on.

Other then that' date=' as I said, I haven't really looked into it, so I'm assuming that you (and others) have more knowledge on which to base that decision on.[/quote']I don't know about that. ;)

As for troopers using Hardened armor, even if the material is the same, you just can't layer it thick enough. In other words, go back to the fable of the father and his sons. A single stick is easy to break, a bundle of sticks is harder to break. The stormtrooper armor is the single stick, the heavily armored blast door is the bundle of sticks.

And for that matter, troops are easier and less expensive to replace than sophisticated machines. The Empire may have a lot of resources, but it also is led by those with an absolute disregard for life. Troops are expendable assets. It is sufficient that they shoot straight and look intimidating.

But, as we agree, YMMV.

I don't know about that. ;)

As for troopers using Hardened armor, even if the material is the same, you just can't layer it thick enough. In other words, go back to the fable of the father and his sons. A single stick is easy to break, a bundle of sticks is harder to break. The stormtrooper armor is the single stick, the heavily armored blast door is the bundle of sticks.

And for that matter, troops are easier and less expensive to replace than sophisticated machines. The Empire may have a lot of resources, but it also is led by those with an absolute disregard for life. Troops are expendable assets. It is sufficient that they shoot straight and look intimidating.

But, as we agree, YMMV.

Well, you got a point there. Especially if the troopers are all clones who can be grown en masse. A bit like some countries armed forces. But if we define Hardened by the thickness, isn't that the same as the Body anyway - BODY of an object is based on its thickness (and material). It seems like we've come back full circle in the argument. Your ball... ;)

(Although your argument based on time and the Body of blast doors is a good one. I have no clue what the thickness of the doors is, so unless you know that we can't figure the amount/thickness, but just using the 5er, a tank has 20 body on the sides. A vault door has 9 I think. Wow. Isn't there an expanded table in Ultimate Brick?)

Well' date=' you got a point there. Especially if the troopers are all clones who can be grown en masse. A bit like some countries armed forces. But if we define Hardened by the thickness, isn't that the same as the Body anyway - BODY of an object is based on its thickness (and material). It seems like we've come back full circle in the argument. Your ball... ;)[/quote']The "thickness" is the Special Effect. Hardened is one way of simulating that. As I recall, materials have a DEF as well as a Body. All that Hardened does, is make the DEF harder to punch through with attacks designed to do just that (namely Armor Piercing and Penetrating). You could use an inflated amount of Body to do the exact same thing. Both work. I just don't think an arms race between Body and Damage is a good thing. It leads to ludicrously out of whack write-ups.

(Although your argument based on time and the Body of blast doors is a good one. I have no clue what the thickness of the doors is, so unless you know that we can't figure the amount/thickness, but just using the 5er, a tank has 20 body on the sides. A vault door has 9 I think. Wow. Isn't there an expanded table in Ultimate Brick?)
Page 448-449 HERO 5th revised. Looking at those tables makes me think that my write-up is broken. For a vault door, the DEF is 16 and the Body is roughly 13-15. No actually, that sounds about right. If it is Heavy Armor, then my write-up would not work. It could never exceed the DEF in order to do Body damage.

I may have to increase to 3 1/2 or 4d6 RKA in order to simulate that. Or build it as a Compound Power that Dispels DEF with the Extra Time Limitation. Now I have to take it all back to the drawing board. :nonp:

Leave it to me to find the one extreme one-off circumstance that violates my own write-up. :D

The "thickness" is the Special Effect. Hardened is one way of simulating that. As I recall' date=' materials have a DEF as well as a Body. All that Hardened does, is make the DEF harder to punch through with attacks designed to do just that (namely Armor Piercing and Penetrating). You could use an inflated amount of Body to do the exact same thing. Both work. I just don't think an arms race between Body and Damage is a good thing. It leads to ludicrously out of whack write-ups.[/quote']

I think you are right with that.

Page 448-449 HERO 5th revised. Looking at those tables makes me think that my write-up is broken. For a vault door, the DEF is 16 and the Body is roughly 13-15. No actually, that sounds about right. If it is Heavy Armor, then my write-up would not work. It could never exceed the DEF in order to do Body damage.

I may have to increase to 3 1/2 or 4d6 RKA in order to simulate that. Or build it as a Compound Power that Dispels DEF with the Extra Time Limitation. Now I have to take it all back to the drawing board. :nonp:

Leave it to me to find the one extreme one-off circumstance that violates my own write-up. :D

The materials on 448-9 have no mention of hardened that I can see. All it says is that DEF is resistant. Most material would have no need to be hardened (except in cases where that is needed, as in a super-prison). The AVLD works by bypassing that DEF, so it would always do Body.

Hell, for all we know, QGJ (correct?) might have rolled all 1's, which is why it took longer then normal.

The materials on 448-9 have no mention of hardened that I can see. All it says is that DEF is resistant. Most material would have no need to be hardened (except in cases where that is needed, as in a super-prison). The AVLD works by bypassing that DEF, so it would always do Body.
Oh yeah, my thoughts are that the DEF is bought as Hardened when you want Lightsaber resistant materials. Sorry about the cornfusion.

A whole lot of Body. Like in the hundreds. How many second was he doing that? 120? Little less/more? Let's go really conservative and say 5 Combat Turns (60 seconds). At speed 4, he is doing an average of 6 Body (using badger3k's write-up). So that is 24 Body per turn (no defense) times 5 turns. 120 Body for some blast doors?

Nothing wrong with that, but dang. :eek:

Well, that was a blast door. As in, "Meant to keep a major explosion out." It probably was intended to seal the bridge off from the rest of the ship, so that if the ship was destroyed the bridge could function as a lifeboat. So it not only had to resist the explosion of the ship, but stay intact enough to hold air.

That was really a question from me. I have no idea what, if anything, is hardened, but for me if there was something that could stop a lightsaber, you can bet that I would do my best to make sure my soldiers had it. Now, it could be expensive, but for an Empire? If blast door material, which has to be pretty common to be made into blast doors (and for doors to be effective, the walls have to be similar material or else it will save the doors but destroy everything else), will work against lightsabers, surely that material would be used in armoring soldiers who are going against Jedi. Having a technology that can produce blasters, hover vehicles, FTL drives in personal starcraft and the ability to destroy planets, making armor out of blast door metal surely can't be too hard.

It just makes no sense in game background terms, to me. Obviously YMMV.

The Empire consistently went for quantity over quality. Stormtrooper armor isn't even all that good at stopping blasters, much less lightsabers. And TIE fighters didn't even have shields, which were standard equipment on most fighters of the era. This was because the government didn't care about the lives of the individual soldier/pilot. The main exception to this was the personal craft of high government officials - like Lord Vader.

Besides, they had to outfit millions of Stormtroopers, and billions of soldiers in general. There is an entire galaxy to garrison, after all. It's hard to pay for high-quality equipment in that kind of quantity, even for a galactic government.

The big exception to the 'quantity over quality' policy of the Empire was in it's capitol ships. Sure, they probably had other, lighter ships, but they probably were not built in very large quantities. That way the Emperor could concentrate the big guns of the fleet into as few (trusted) hands as possible.

Thus the Imperial and Super class Star Destroyers.

Sure, the occasional frigate or cruiser may have turned to the Rebellion. But the Emperor made sure the big ships stayed loyal - and more powerful than anything the opposition had.

At least until the Mon Calamari armed their big passenger liners with battleship-class weapons and shields, but that's a different point.

Well' date=' that was a [i']blast[/i] door. As in, "Meant to keep a major explosion out." It probably was intended to seal the bridge off from the rest of the ship, so that if the ship was destroyed the bridge could function as a lifeboat. So it not only had to resist the explosion of the ship, but stay intact enough to hold air.

There is that. It would have high Def to protect it and have high Body to make ruptures harder to occur if the door was damaged.

I Troops are expendable assets. It is sufficient that they shoot straight and look intimidating.

And shooting straight is a option!:D

We always thought of it as the Imperial Soldiers being camera-shy. They do well off-camera (like against the Jawas), but as soon as we can see them they can barely hit the broad side of a barn because they're nervous.rofl.gif