Southern Belle

S7Michelle

Southern Belle is the character I'm submitting for a new play by post game. Comments and suggestions are welcome. The game itself is set in the Champions Universe and is basically a standard superhero level game, except that the active point limit is 60.

Southern Belle / Annabelle Buchanan

Powers: Southern Belle is a mentalist who primarily uses mind control enforced requests, such as "Would you please be a dear and hand me that cash box? Thank you so much." and an ego blast in the form of sleepiness, "My, it is warm out today isn't it. Doesn't this heat make just make you feel like taking a nice little nap?" She also, carries a parasol which can be used as both a shield and weapon and has a few defensive powers based on the fact that her enemies just don't really want to hurt her all that much.

Origin: Annabelle Buchanan was born to into a wealthy southern family who never expected more of her than to be decorative, know enough to get along well socially, and to eventually marry well. Unfortunately, that was not to be. The year that Annabelle graduated with her bachelors degree in art appreciation, her father managed to lose the family fortune to a mix of bad investments and the results of the IRS discovering quite a few irregularities. Almost immediately thereafter, Annabelle's fiancé broke up with her, only to marry another heiress only a few months later. Annabelle reacted badly to the family's change in fortunes, suffering a breakdown and having to spend several months under psychiatric care (Possibly in the Goldenmeadows Facility).

Ultimately, Annabelle's time under the psychiatrist's care had unexpected results. Annabelle isn't entirely certain herself what led to her gaining her powers. Perhaps, she'd had the potential all along and just hadn't realized it until stress and need awakened them. Perhaps, one of the drugs her psychiatrist gave her triggered them. Perhaps it was something else entirely. All that she knows is that while she was charming and attractive before the breakdown, now those gifts have been greatly magnified and thus Southern Belle was born.

Personality notes:

While gracious and polite, Belle feels entitled to the wealth and social standing that should have been hers. She has neither the desire, nor really the necessary skills, to work for a living, though she still has every intention of having the rewards that work generally brings.

In addition to being, well lazy is such a harsh word, Belle really isn't all that bright. Part of this is due to the fact that she was never encouraged to excel intellectually, but even more of it is just a lack of natural ability. Even if she had tried, Belle probably would never have been more than an average student. And in both high school and college she focused much more on being popular and attending parties, joining the right sorority, etc. than she ever did on her classes.

Finally, Annabelle is quite simply not entirely sane. She is perfectly comfortable walking down the street in clothing that went out of style centuries ago. She has been known to tell stores or restaurants to send the bill to the "Goldenmeadow Plantation," (which does not exist). Her statements and actions tend to imply that she may be living, at least in part, in her own delusions.

Annabelle isn't fond of killing or messiness in general and is unlikely to kill anyone herself unless strongly pushed.

Some schemes and plans of the villain:

Belle doesn't tend to have highly ambitious plans or schemes. Most of her plans are along the lines of "ask nicely for the item I want and then once they give it to me, leave."

Her primary goal is to live as luxurious and pleasant a life style as she can. Though, if thwarted or if a hero is especially rude to her, I can see her seeking revenge.

Other details:

Belle honestly is better off in as part of a group, or at least partnered up with a more ambitious partner. As long as she is treated well, and pampered, she is likely to readily assist someone else's master plan. She'd probably prefer that actually. It's much easier to let someone else do the thinking for you.

I can easily see Belle taking on the role of girlfriend to one of the other team members or more likely the team leader.

Character Sheet:

10 Strength 0

20 Dexterity 30

15 Constitution 10

10 Body 0

9 Intelligence -1

26 Ego 32

25 Presence 15

26 Comeliness 8

5 PD 3

5 ED 2

4 Speed 10

5 Recovery 0

30 Endurance 0

23 Stun 0

OCV 7

DCV 7 / 9

ECV 9

Total Characteristic Points: 109

Skills:

3 Slight of Hand (13-)

3 Stealth (13-)

6 Animal Handler (14-) (Equines, Canines, Felines, Birds, Raptors)

3 Bribery (14-)

3 Conversation (14-)

3 High Society (14-)

3 Persuasion (14-)

3 Seduction (14-)

3 Concealment (11-)

1 Familiarity: Disguise (8-)

4 Gambling (12-) (Card Games)

4 Transport Familiarity (Horses, small wind-powered boats, large motorized boats, skiing-snow)

4 Professional Skill: Appraisal (13-)

2 Professional Skill: Personal Finance(11-)

2 Professional Skill: Sewing (11-)

2 Knowledge Skill: Art (11-)

1 Language: Basic Conversation: French

Total Skill Points: 50

Perks

1 Fringe Benefit: Passport

5 I've Started Rebuilding My Fortune: Money: Well Off

Talents

1 Never Gets Mussed: (Player Created Talent): Hair and costume always stay neat and clean so long as that's what Belle wants.

Powers:

60 Mental Powers

6U Penny for your Thoughts: Telepathy 8d6; Reduced Endurance (0 End; +1/2) (60 active points)

6U Sweet Dreams: Ego Attack 4d6; Reduced Endurance (0 End; +1/2) (60 active points)

6U Please: Mind Control 12d6 (60 active points)

5U Pretty Please: Mind Control 4d6, Cumulative (+1/2), Increased Cumulative points, x4, 96 points; +1/2), Reduced End (0 END, +1/2), Telepathic (+1/4) (55 active points)

3U Please Just Stand Right There: Entangle 2d6, 2 Def, BOECV (Mental Defense Applies; +1), Takes No Damage from Physical Attacks (+1/4), Works against Ego, Not STR (+1/4), Reduced End (0 END, +1/2), (60 Active Points), Mental Defense Adds to Ego (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) Total Points: 34

6U May I have that? Telekenisis (20 strength) Fine Manipulation (40 points) Reduced END (0 END, +1/2) (60 active points)

2U It really isn't all that unusual: Invisibility to Sight Group, No Fringe (30 points), Invisible Power Effects (Character can be seen just doesn't stand out as unusual or memorable) (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +1/2) (60 Active Points), Not vs. people with mental defenses (-1/2), Not vs. cameras (-1/4), Does not apply in combat (-3/4) Total Points: 24

Total 94

5 Southern Charm: +10 Presence (10 active points); Only for pleasant interaction- based presence attacks and skill rolls (-1) (Note: Would make skill rolls for pleasant interactions (16-))

10 Mental Shield: Mental Defenses (10 + EGO/5) (10 active points)

12 Protective Costume: armor 6 PD, 6 ED (18 Active points) OIF (-1/2)

7 You Wouldn’t Hit A Lady, Would you?: +2 DCV (10 active points); Only vs Beings with Minds/Emotions (-1/2)

20 "Y'all don't want to hurt lil' ol' me, do ya?": Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% and Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% (Active Points: 30); Only vs beings with minds/emotions (-1/2)

13 Parasol (20 active points); OIF (-1/2)

1U Parasol Strike: HtH Attack 4d6, (20 active points), OIF (-1/2), Hand-to-Hand Attack (-1/2), Total Cost: 10 points

1U Sharpened Tip: Killing Attack-Hand-to-Hand 1d6 (1d6 +1/2d6 with strength) (15 active points). OIF (-1/2), Total Cost: 10 points

1U Protective Shield: armor 4 PD, 4 ED (12 active points), OIF (-1/2), Non-persistent (-1/4), Total Points 8; plus Flash Defense: Sight Group (5 active points), OIF (-1/2), Non-Persistent (-1/4), Total Points 3

Total: 16

20 Mary Poppins Had the Right Idea: Flight 10" (20 Active Points), Prefers to fly while holding her parasol (-0)

Disadvantages:

15 Psychological Limit: Believes she is Entitled to the Finer Things of Life (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Delusions: Occasionally lives in her own little world which seems to be an idealized Old South (Uncommon, Strong)

10 Psychological Limit: Code vs. Killing (Common, Moderate)

10 Always Act Like a Lady: (Common, Moderate)

5 Psychological Limitation: Easily Manipulated by Flattery (Common, Moderate) (Should be a 10 but can't have more than 50 points in any category)

20 Hunted by the Police (and/or Primus) 8- (More Powerful, NCI, Imprison/return to mental institution)

20 Hunted by City Superhero Team 8- (More Powerful, NCI, Imprison/return to mental institution)

10 Unknown Hunted 8- (Either a stalker, or a business/group that wants to use her abilities)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity: Annabelle Buchanan

5 Distinctive Feature: Southern Accent (Easily Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable)

10 Distinctive Feature: Mutant (Not Concealable; Always Noticed, Detectable Only by Unusual Senses)

10 Enraged when effectively taunted or humiliated (common), 8- to become enraged, 14- to recover

10 I can't believe you hit me: Vulnerability: Belle takes x2 stun the first time she is physically struck in combat (Uncommon x2)

OR

10 I can't believe you hit me: Susceptibility: Belle takes 2d6 of stun when struck in hand to hand combat (Common 10, Instant +0, must be touched -5, 2d6 +5)

Total Disadvantage: 150

Re: Southern Belle

Beautiful. Simply beautiful. She could easily be a (not very) reformed villian-as-PC.

Make sure to give her a supporting cast of goons to do the heavy lifting and fighting for her. She'd have a hard time facing more than one hero at a time (unless she had time to get her mental hooks into one of them before the fight).