Starting points?

Christougher

I'm pondering a sci-fi campaign where the PCs would be Space Marines. I started working on equipment rated for actual normals with 8's for Primary Characteristics. For 150 point PCs(the level we usually play at), that stuff is going to be over/underpowered. Should I tweak the equipment towards 50-75 point soldiers, tone the PCs down to 75 points, or is there another option?

Re: Starting points?

Remember, as the GM, NPC forces are exactly as capable as you want them to be. If the Marines your PCs actually fight with on a regular basis don't seem to be providing any great aid, you can always have the players hear tales of another marine unit (like theirs) that just pulled off some epic feat of courage, so they fall like a part of something larger.

And if you're going for more higher-powered soldiers, I've found a lot can be done with 75 points plus disadvantages. Gives them the edge they need to survive a silly mistake, but not so powerful that they won't fear for their lives in a desperate situation.

If everyone is using the same equipment then their Defensive and Offensive capability will match. PC will like have the edge in skill alone.

However, Normals are untrained, unspecialized, non combatants.

A basic Solider is probably going to have 50pts in Capabilities (and Disadvantages) which will even up the odds some. Specialized Soldiers could reach 100pts.

Making a 150pt Character simply a Very Good Soldier.

If you have Dark Champions I would start with the Package Deals in there, modified by the Package Deals in Alien Wars to get some good concepts for how many points a Basic Soldier is.

Normals don't have military training, Soldiers do - they get more points.

If everyone is using the same equipment then their Defensive and Offensive capability will match. PC will like have the edge in skill alone.

However, Normals are untrained, unspecialized, non combatants.

A basic Solider is probably going to have 50pts in Capabilities (and Disadvantages) which will even up the odds some. Specialized Soldiers could reach 100pts.

Making a 150pt Character simply a Very Good Soldier.

If you have Dark Champions I would start with the Package Deals in there, modified by the Package Deals in Alien Wars to get some good concepts for how many points a Basic Soldier is.

Normals don't have military training, Soldiers do - they get more points.

I agree with Ghost on this one. A Marine goes through quite a bit of training, both physical and mental.

As an example, my unit used to have weekly sessions with our XO where we'd role play real battle scenarios as exercises in small unit tactics. We're not talking the officers either, the Privates would be given command decisions to make. As a Sergeant, I'd usually end up as a grunt in some Private's Squad. Even the lowest ranking Marines had Tactics 11- in no time!

I'd second 100 points as a Private fresh out of training, with combat veterans and Special Forces pushing 150+. And besides, adding the adjective "Space" adds a whole laundry list of extra stuff to learn.