Trader to Hero

Michael Hopcroft

Is it possible to designa campaign where the pCs start out with no greatert goal than making a buck int eh starlanes and then find themselves suddenly having the save the sector from some great threat? Maybe they've been shipjacked and, in the process of revoering their ship, but inflitrate and destory a nest of pirates that threaten trade throughout the sector?

How well equippmed will characters built to be merchants be to cope with more serious threats? True, the starlanes are a danegrous place so an indpendent trader has to be tough, but what kind of essential skills will they lack? How amny ship's hands can transfer the skills of powereing an exoskeleton for loaiding the hold to driving a powered armor battlesuit?

I think this game is possible. It would require the GM to express the campaign concept to the players up front so they may create characters accordingly. If the GM doesn'tdo so the players will design characters who may be less inclined towards universe-saving, with at least one player designing a self-centered ne'er-do-well that would run like hell if asked to save the world. Knowing the direction the campaign will be heading the players can consider their character personalities and backgrounds accordingly.

BTW, for inspiration you can look no further than Joss Whedon's Firefly. A pair of former hero soldiers, a hooker with a heart of gold, a whiz-bang pilot, a savant engineer, a gun bunny, a preacher with a mysterious past, and a well-to-do doctor forced to flee after rescuing his sister from the government's experiments. The worst of the lot was Jayne, the gun bunny, and over the first season even his character developed from hard-hearted selfishness to a sort of heroic spirit. Point your players at this show, describe how you see it moving on to the larger plot after the first season, and watch'em go.

Hi Michael,

Guess what? You hit on exactly how I am going to start a new Star Hero game for my players. I don't think they read the message board but just in case I don't want to say a lot. ;) If you want some inspiration check the stuff on Fitz's site. It is along a vaguely similar line...I am using some of the material from this site as inspiration...

Sutton Hoo Salvage