Late Pulp Era Adventure Ideas: Operation Paperclip/T-Force

shadowcat1313

Operation Paperclip (also Project Paperclip) was the code name for the O.S.S.U.S. Military rescue of scientists from Nazi Germany, during the terminus and aftermath of World War II. In 1945, the Joint Intelligence Objectives Agency was established with direct responsibility for effecting Operation Paperclip.

This was primarily for bringing the rocket and synthetic fuels scientists to the US, but I can see many other interesting possibilities. the British had a group called T-Force that was in germany trying to protect various german projects from being looted and robbed etc, although later accounts put it closer to the fox watching the henhouse.

we know the Nazis had a great interest in the occult, and considering that Sir Ian Fleming was one of the commanders of T-Force, and the Control Agent for Alistair Crowley, whos to say that they didnt send another team in run by Crowley looking for the Occult experiments etc after the war? he died in 1947.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Paperclip

Re: Late Pulp Era Adventure Ideas: Operation Paperclip/T-Force

He also conceived of a plan to use British occultist Aleister Crowley to trick Rudolf Hess into attempting to contact a fake cell of anti-Churchill Englishmen in Britain, but this plan was not used because Rudolf Hess had flown to Scotland in an attempt to broker peace behind Hitler's back. Anthony Masters's book The Man Who Was M: The Life of Charles Henry Maxwell Knight asserts Fleming conceived the plan that lured Hess into flying to Scotland, in May 1941, to negotiate Anglo–German peace with Churchill, and resulted in Hess's capture: this claim has no other source.[6]

As M walked briskly towards sit-ops, his aid intercepted him paper in hand, "Signal from Berlin Sir Ian, just four words and some numbers. We haven't been able to raise them since."

Flemming nodded, "What four words, and when's the next window?"

His aid seemed uncomfortable about reading the missive "Just 'The Beast has returned' Sir and 18 minutes until we next can attempt communications."

M stopped, "Let me see that." he grabbed the paper. "27:6:1 Damn! Find the Librarian now, and start putting together a team."

"Yes, Sir may I ask what it means?"

"The 27th book of the Bible is Revelations and 6:1 is 'And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.' Someone wants us in Berlin, and I think it may be Crowley. Get me a team!"

The players are the team sent to Berlin in the late 40's hunting for and being hunted by Crowley who's attempting to bring about the end of the world. Toss in Regardie and Fortune as advisors to the group and you've got yourself a ball game. You might want to watch the tone though since it would be very easy for it to drift out of Pulp and into a more traditional espionage Dark Champions type game.

going to have to do more research on this, all sorts of ideas are coming to mind.

Otto Rahn, a german archaeologist who committed suicide in 39, and openly declared he wasnt a nazi, and was one of the inspirations for Indiana Jones, was mostly looking for the Holy Grail.

Historical Fact: Himmlers headquarters was modeled after Castle Dracula and was located within 3-5 miles of a place where there was a mass witch burning

this was Wewelsburg Castle, near Paderborn.

what if Crowley was a double agent?

what if Crowley got in over his head and realized what was going on and tried to stop it?

Historical Fact: Crowley lived in a manor house on Loch Ness for many years, this was later bought by Jimmy Paige from Led Zeppelin. all kinds of ideas come to mind based on this alone.

Other names to look at that you might find interesting

Hans Kammler - Headed Nazi Secret Weapons Research, disappeared (declared dead) in 1945

Alfred Ritscher - Commanded the Schwabinland in the late 30's, essentially headed the Nazi survey of Antarctica, so tons of Lovecraftian fun to be had, or something simple like the Fourth Reich launching flying saucers from their rapidly growing empire that's conquering or has just finished conquering the Hollow Earth (Since everyone knows the entrance is in Antarctica)

currently for my UK hero project the British Government run Three separate departments who's job it is to acquire or remove from play articles of a extra terrestrial, super technological or mystical nature.

I think all of these agencies would be vying with there American and Russian counterparts to get there hands on the Nazis ill gotten gains and technological advances via T force.

most of these have been in operation since WWII or even before.

M.A.G.I.(mystical artifacts group intelligence) responsible for preventing foreign powers from acquiring materials of an occult nature operated from at least 1933. Crowley may well have been an agent or perhaps an elaborate deception for the real work.

SECTION 14(aka MI14) special weapons group of British intelligence tasked with investigation analysis suppression and acquisition of advanced weapons technology.

ROOM 40 (later expanding into the trinity projects) originally an admiralty project sprung out for war time code breaking to analyse signals of a non terrestrial origin. expanded post war into a long term project to acquire reproduce and restrict alien technology whilst maintaining earth's diplomatic status.