Burnout in a Multipower - Defender's EB

Boll Weevil

I was looking at Defender's writeup in CU:NOTW this morning and saw his Overload Blast has an Activation with the possibility of Burnout. That power was built as an ultra slot in a Multipower containing several different EB combinations. If the Overload Blast does Burnout, will it take the whole Weapons Array MP with it? This may be a matter of sfx but all these EB's are basically built from the same Focus. I am guessing the official answer is no but I am curious to know what everyone thinks. Talk amongst yourselves.

Re: Burnout in a Multipower - Defender's EB

It depends on how much of a limitation the Burnout is bought as. If it just covers that one slot, I'd just apply it to that slot. If it gets enough of a points rebate to cover the whole multipower, I'd apply it to the whole thing.

SFX wise, I agree it should burn out the whole thing, except maybe the single weakest slot. At least until Defender takes a phase or two to work on a quick juryrig.

If Burnout is only on one slot of a MP, then mechanicaly only that one slot is affected by the Burnout.

If I have Burnout on one slot, and the GM applies it across the MP, I'd want some points back for a limitation being forced upon me! :mad: Unless, of course, I rolled an 18 on the Burnout roll, or had a level of Unluck come up...:rolleyes:

Ok, that's fair. If I did want to build this in what else would I need? The Overload Blast is the only slot that can trigger the burnout (the only one with an activation roll at all) but when it goes it takes the whole MP with it (or to Captain Obvious' point, Jammed until Defender can fix it).

Ok' date=' that's fair. If I did want to build this in what else would I need? The Overload Blast is the only slot that can trigger the burnout (the only one with an activation roll at all) but when it goes it takes the whole MP with it (or to Captain Obvious' point, Jammed until Defender can fix it).[/quote']

Here is the relevant parts of the multipower in question and how I would note the Overload Blast's potential Burnout affecting the reserve. Note the slot costs for all the variants.

50 Weapons Array: Multipower, 75-point reserve, Activation Roll 15-, Burnout (Only if fails Overload Blast activation roll [optional Pool Only Limitation]; +0) (75 Active Points); all slots OIF (Power Armor; -1/2)

2u 1) Overload Blast (published version): Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (60 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x4 END; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4) 24

2u 2) Overload Blast (alternate with no Activation Roll): Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (60 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1) 18

3u 3) Overload Blast (alternate with only x2 END): Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (60 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4) 12