Close Your Nose

BobGreenwade

Re: Close Your Nose

Except for the part about the average human being able to do this.

Like Sean, I can do this pretty well, and even though I'm definitely not average (haha), I'm still human. I don't get a perfect 100% coverage, but I can easily breathe mostly through my mouth and not be bothered by harsh smells if I concentrate on it. Underwater it's a lot easier and I can use a snorkel without anything over my nose. Yes, it's a bit less hassle with the thing, but the difference is marginal.

I'd go with "camels (and anyone with a decent SFX-justification) can get that for free", but if you really have to put a point value to it, I'd go with "Life Support: Can close Nose without EGO roll: 1 point" which I still find vastly overpriced.

Unlike you and Sean, I have to breath out constantly to prevent water going up my nose when underwater. (Yes, I'm a horrible diver). But then again, I may not be "average" either. My sense of taste and smell are also very strongly linked (perhaps more so than normal) and I frequently smell things as I breathe through my mouth and worse, taste things that I smell. I would pay one point for "close my nose". But that's just me personally.

Another thing people can do - with training- is 'circular breathing' - playing, eg a trumpet long note whilst breathing in and out (I assume they trap air in the mouth to keep the trumpet note going). It is sort of the opposite of what we are talking about here. Again that is an unusual ability, but probably one almost anyone could learn, so I'd suggest it should probably be treated as an element of a skill, something anyone could learn, rather than a power or talent.

Don't know about you' date=' but I can pucker my lips and scrunch them up to my nose to close off almost all air flow. It's tiring, but I can do it. Do my lips count as Extra Limbs (nevermind what my wife says about them)? :cool:;)[/quote']

When I was fit (07:00 8 Feb 1984 to 15:43 11 Feb 1984) and actually did some exercise (just the once, you understand, but it has stood me in good stead), I could do the nipple dance: you know, alternately clenching pecs to make your nipples bounce up and down, possibly in rhythm with Olivia Newton John songs (I was young and foolish). Could I use the invisible and intangible extra limbs that I use to pinch my mouth shut to do that too?

Oh, and I can roll my tongue...

Sean 'Too Much Information' Waters