move through damage

garlic

After reading the 5ER move through rules, I'm confused about the damage that the opponent takes and that the character doing the move through takes.

1) The rules say that damage is based off of STR + velocity -- what is the character's velocity, and how does that relate to their move? Does this change if it's a 1/2 phase move instead of a full phase move?

2) Typically both character's talk half of the damage. However, the rules on how knockback is involved confuses me: what cases does the character doing move through take more than 1/2 damage? Does the opponent ever take more than 1/2 damage (presuming they aren't knocked into something)?

Re: move through damage

After reading the 5ER move through rules, I'm confused about the damage that the opponent takes and that the character doing the move through takes.

1) The rules say that damage is based off of STR + velocity -- what is the character's velocity, and how does that relate to their move? Does this change if it's a 1/2 phase move instead of a full phase move?

2) Typically both character's talk half of the damage. However, the rules on how knockback is involved confuses me: what cases does the character doing move through take more than 1/2 damage? Does the opponent ever take more than 1/2 damage (presuming they aren't knocked into something)?

re: 1)

How FAST a character is moving is not always the same as how FAR they actually move in a phase. A character can make a half move move through and still apply his full move velocity to the damage calculation (as long as he can move 1" per 5" of acceleration).

re: 2)

The target takes full damage and the character performing the move through takes half damage unless he does not do ANY knockback to the target in which case he also takes full damage (like hitting a brick wall).

The damage for a move through is based on the attacking character's full strength/5 in d6 the Relative* Velocity/3 in d6 of the attacker and the target.

Once you have determined damage you need to roll for KnockBack. If the target IS knocked back then the attacker takes half of the damage that he inflicted. If the target is not knocked back then he takes the full damage he inflicted. In either case the target takes full damage.

If that is not very clear I can provide examples :)

*if the target is stationary then this will just be the velocity of the attacker.

Ok, so target takes full damage all the time, and the mover takes 1/2 damage if he knocks back, and full damage if he doesn't.

damage is STR dmg plus (relative) velocity damage.

I'm still confused as to how I determine someone's velocity.

Ok, so target takes full damage all the time, and the mover takes 1/2 damage if he knocks back, and full damage if he doesn't.

damage is STR dmg plus (relative) velocity damage.

I'm still confused as to how I determine someone's velocity.

Say Ultra-Dude has 20" of Running.

Bad-Guy is standing 8" away from Ultra-Dude.

Ultra-Dude decides to use a Move Through to attack Bad-Guy.

It takes Ultra-Dude 4" to accelerate to his top velocity of 20" per Phase. He can choose to move only 8" and stop after hitting Bad-Guy or he can (as the name of the maneuver suggests) keep moving through and past Bad-Guy for the additional 12" (or just 2" if he was attacking as a half-Phase/half-move action after already performing a different half-Phase action first).