Damage Shield and Entangles

jwpacker

Just out of curiosity - if I have a damage shield that does BODY damage, and I'm hit with an attackable entangle, does the DS automatically do it's damage to the entangle on each of my phases?

And has anyone had somebody build a power, say a spell, that was a KA with the DS advantage, and a limitation "only against entangles" as a sort of "breakout" ability?

Re: Damage Shield and Entangles

If I'm the GM, yes, your Damage Shield works against Entangles (and grabs) unless limited in such a way as to not do so.

I don't have a spell specifically against Entangles defined as a DS, but if I did I'd give a large Lim value to "Only vs Entangles"...either a -1 1/2 or a -2 (I'd start with -2 to see where that priced out, and modify the lim down a bit if it seemed too cheap).

However, it might prove to be more efficient to define such an effect in other ways...such as DCV specifically vs Entangles or Missile Deflection vs Entangles or a Triggered Dispel vs Entangles. The reason being is that if you are hit by an Entangle there are some secondary concerns to your DCV and actions that come with. Thus its better for the Entangle to not take effect on you in the first place; the SFX of an alternate approach can still be "damage causing aura" if you like...and can also be combined with a DS if desired for maximum coverage.

Thanks guys. Illuminating as always.

The OP came up because twice now I've seen magic wielding characters being told that they have a huge weakness in their inability to do much of anything without Incantations or Gestures or both, and that a relatively light weight Entangle could put them out of action for an entire battle.

So while I got around that myself by using Variable Limitations, allowing me to sub in some concentration or extra time for the G&I, the thought occurred to me to purchase myself a damage shield based spell that specifically didn't require G&I.

Thanks guys. Illuminating as always.

The OP came up because twice now I've seen magic wielding characters being told that they have a huge weakness in their inability to do much of anything without Incantations or Gestures or both, and that a relatively light weight Entangle could put them out of action for an entire battle.

So while I got around that myself by using Variable Limitations, allowing me to sub in some concentration or extra time for the G&I, the thought occurred to me to purchase myself a damage shield based spell that specifically didn't require G&I.

Well, gestures and incantations are usually more of a fantasy thing than a superhero thing. Not that you can't put them on, of course, but you shouldn't feel that it's a requirement. Variable Limitations was a nice touch, I think.