Oh She with the Prehensile Hair

Mr. Gridlock

Medusa was always one of my favorite Silver Age characters and I'm finally getting a chance to play a character with prehensile hair.

Question: If I want her hair to have a sort of "feedback" effect in that if it were directly targeted, would you build that with a Susceptibility is that just built into Stretching because it's her part of her (and would have her natural PD/ED)?

The other way I had thought to build her hair was to use TK with a Physical Manifestation and a Side Effect (for the feedback). Question: how long does it take to reform her hair once it's been attacked (as per Physical Manifestation, which doesn't specify)? A Phase? PS12? Has to be healed back per her REC/month?

Val     Char     Points     Total     Roll     Notes
15     STR     5     25     14-     HTH Damage 5d6 END [1]
20     DEX     30     20     13-     OCV 7 DCV 7
20     CON     20     20     13-     
13     BODY     6     13     12-     
18     INT     8     18     13-     PER Roll 13-
14     EGO     8     14     12-     ECV: 5
18     PRE     8     18     13-     PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6
18     COM     4     18     13-     
8     PD     5     8/14         8/14 PD (0/6 rPD)
8     ED     4     8/14         8/14 ED (0/6 rED)
4     SPD     10     4         Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12
8     REC     2     8         
40     END     0     40         
31     STUN     0     31         
6"     Running     0     11"         
2"     Swimming     0     2"         
5"     Leaping     0     5"         Total Characteristics Cost: 110

Cost     Powers     END

Prehensile Hair    
6     1) Extra Limbs (10), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points)
25   2) Stretching 5", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points); no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), Limited Body Parts (Extra Limbs; -1/4)
8     3) +10 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Linked (Extra Limbs; -1/4)
8     4) Missile Deflection (Physical Attacks) (15 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Will Not Work Against Heavy Missiles (-1/4)

10     Hair Movement: Multipower, 10-point reserve    
1u     1) Running +5" (11" total) (10 Active Points); no Noncombat movement (-1/4)
1u     2) Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2)
1u     3) Swinging 10" (10 Active Points); no Noncombat movement (-1/4)

6     [i]Iron Will:[/i] Mental Defense (10 points total) (7 Active Points); Nonpersistent (-1/4)    0

Hair Fighting
4     1) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4     2) Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 45 STR to Disarm
3     3) Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, 8d6 Strike, Target Falls
5     4) Hair Pummel: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 11d6 Strike
4     5) Squeeze: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 11d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab
4     6) Hair Smash: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 9d6 Strike
4     7) Wraparound Choke: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 3d6 NND
5     8) Wraparound: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, 45 STR , Grab Four Limbs;
8     9) +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Perks
1     Fringe Benefit: Licensed Social Worker

3     Well-Connected
4     1) Contact: William Dunne, attorney (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact) (5 Active Points) 8-
4     2) Contacts (5 Active Points) 11-

1     Money: Well Off

Talents
12     Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)
5     Lightning Reflexes: +3 DEX to act first with Prehensile Hair

Skills
20    [i]Can Put Her Mind to it:[/i] +2 Overall
6     [i]Prehensile Hair Advantage: [/i]+2 with Martial Maneuvers
8     [i]Prehensile Hair Advantage: [/i]+4 with Sweep maneuver
5     [i]Socially Adept:[/i] +1 with Interaction Skills
3     Breakfall 13-
3     Bureaucratics 13-
3     CK: City 13-
3     Conversation 13-
3     High Society 13-
3     Jack of All Trades
1     1) PS: Cooking (2 Active Points) 11-
2     2) PS: Fundraiser (3 Active Points) 13-
3     3) PS: Social Worker (4 Active Points) 14-
3     KS: City Politics 13-
3     KS: The Legal System 13-
4     Language: Spanish (completely fluent; literate)
3     Lockpicking 13-
Notes: She uses her hair as the lockpicks
2     Musical Instrument Familiarity 11-
3     Oratory 13-
3     Persuasion 13-
5     Rapid Attack (HTH)
2     SS: Psychology 11-
3     Seduction 13-
3     Streetwise 13-
3     Tactics 13-
3     Teamwork 13-
Total Powers & Skills Cost: 240

Total Cost: 350

200+     Disadvantages
20     Dependent NPC: Street Kids from her Shelter 8- (Normal; Group DNPC: x4 DNPCs)
10     Distinctive Features: "Now that's a full head of hair!" (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Virtually Everyone)
5     Hunted: City Police 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, Watching)
10     Hunted: Various people/criminals she's crossed paths with 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)
20     Normal Characteristic Maxima
20     Psychological Limitation: Code Against Killing (Common, Total)
20     Psychological Limitation: Protective of Children (Common, Total)
10     Reputation: Meddlesome Social Worker , 11-
15     Social Limitation: Public ID (Frequently, Major)
Total Disadvantages Points: 130

Re: Oh She with the Prehensile Hair

If I understand the questions correctly, the answer is no you do not need to add anything to stretching to take damage when your stretched body part is attacked and yes it has your normal PD and ED. I hope that helps.

As far as Physical Manifestation goes you have to re-activate the power when it is destroyed, so for TK it would be a would be a half-phase attack action (i.e. the next time you used TK).

Ok' date=' my inner munchkin is creeping out again. I would just add Physical Manifestation to the Stretching. As PMs take damage per the rules for Breakable Foci, the GM may rule that the character does not also take the damage.[/quote']

Makes sense to me. If spears don't cause character damage (usually) when they are broken, I think a Physical Manifestation with decently appropriate SFX should be safe too. Though it does bring up the old discomfort of a Limitation giving a bonus. Hmm. There really should be an Advantage to go with it IMO. Indirect and Does Not Cross Intervening Space could provide some of the benefit, but obviously carry too much benefit. :doi:

I personally like the TK+Physical Manifestation route because getting punched in the hair probably shouldn't hurt.

Nice build though :thumbup:

I was thinking more if her hair was cut, i.e. severed. Example: she's holding someone immobile and another character comes up and slices through her hair with a sword to free his compatriot.

I was thinking that could cause Feedback. Just as an interesting vulnerability she'd have to work around.

If the TK+PM took too long to reform (or if it had to actually grow back) that would be too limiting. I don't think the text states what happens when the PM is attacked (other than how much Def it has).

Ok' date=' my inner munchkin is creeping out again. I would just add Physical Manifestation to the Stretching. As PMs take damage per the rules for Breakable Foci, the GM may rule that the character does not also take the damage.[/quote']

Physical manifestation is a LIMITATION. It shouldn't be giving you advantages like 'immunity to damage to my stretched bits'. Shame on you, munchking :D

Physical manifestation is a LIMITATION. It shouldn't be giving you advantages like 'immunity to damage to my stretched bits'. Shame on you' date=' munchking :D[/quote']

I would say (maybe) that is still a limitation if you are using alot of Grabs or other continuous effects with Stretching that can be "broken". Believe me?

I would say (maybe) that is still a limitation if you are using alot of Grabs or other continuous effects with Stretching that can be "broken". Believe me?

Are your fingers crossed?

I would allow you to build the hair as an obvious inaccessible focus. That way it can be targeted and damaged, and Medusa takea no damage. If it is and out of combat, if Medusa is helpless, someone can take the shears to it.

How's that?