"Crisis of Find Weakness Levels" or "Is Armor Piercing Naked?"

TheDux

Character I am helping a friend build (more of a tender toe than me) is building a character who has many (somewhat magical) skills that a can only be used while wielding a dagger.

So he has a number of powers that look like:

Dagger Strike - HKA

Viper Strike - HKA PLUS HKA (-Gradual Effect)

Nerve Strike - HKA PLUS Entangle

Erruption Strike - HKA PLUS EB (+Explosion) (-Delayed Effect) (-Extra Time)

He also has an uncanny ability to find the perfect place to strike with a dagger. In order to get the Find Weakness effect on all attacks that require use of a dagger, would he buy it as 10 point "one type of attack" or 20 point "any group of attacks"?

I am also designing an "Arcanist" that has a similar uncanny ability to strike with magical spells (Non-elemental, Fire, Ice, Lightning, and Poison), and need some help understanding different levels of Find Weakness.

I was trying to think of this logically. Working backwards the scale would look something like this:

30 Points - All Attacks

20 Points - Magic Spells

10 Points - Lightning Spells

But the text shows All Flame Spells is on the 20 point level.

I am guessing this would have to be realtive.

Compare the following Energy Blasters (Wizards):

Volcano Shaman: 60% of powers (by Character Points) are fire based attacks. He can study a target to find the best way to strike with his fire attacks.

Grand Druid: 20% of powers are lightning based attacks, 20% fire, 20% ice. He can study a target to find the best way to strike with his magic attacks.

Since Find Weakness can be applied to 60% of each of thier attacks, would they both take the same point level? Volcano Shaman's applied to a narrower (but equally large) group and Grand Druid's applied to a broader group?

Alternatively

Can I use Armor Piercing as a naked advantage to apply to all attacks used by dagger and how/why would I do this?

Find Weakness is obviouly cheaper if there are enough powers that I would have to add AP too (+1/2 can add up quick).

It seems that Find Weakness is out the door anway, and this method is becoming the norm.

Re: "Crisis of Find Weakness Levels" or "Is Armor Piercing Naked?"

You are unlikely to get any sensible responses from me about 'Find Weakness' as I don't like it at all. There are better ways to build the construct and a naked AP advantage is certainly one of them. As the AP only applies to the dagger attacks (and, presumably, not the associated effects, like poison) I see no reason one NAPAdvantage should not apply tot eh whole suite of powers.

Technically the NAPA can apply to anything the GM lets it apply to but in practice I would normally only allow one power, or a very tight and related group of powers to apply. Anything more and I'd require it was built with 'variable sfx'. That is purely personal preference but does differentiate in cost between different uses, some much broader, of the same base power.

The problem with that is that you are limited in how much AP you can apply, or rather what you can apply it to - being limited by active point costs - which seems odd.

We covered this in a thread last year, I think - I'll try and dig it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: "Crisis of Find Weakness Levels" or "Is Armor Piercing Naked?"

Neither.

Put all these Dagger attacks into a Multipower with the reserve bought with Armor Piercing, OAF (Dagger). Should be cheaper, especially if you have a lot of dagger related powers.

Doc

IME it is (usualy) cheaper and cleaner to put it on the slots instead of the Reserve, because of advantage stacking

Looking at the powers he wants i would suggest the following

a Dagger power as it's own power (0.5d6 HKA, can be thrown, 0 end,AP, OAF, Real weapon, 10 points)

Then a Multipower for the other stuff (The viper, nerve, erruption) if he wants them all AP then make them so, put a only as part of a multiattack with dagger lim on it (ok technicaly it is the linked lim put on a emtore mp, which your not suppose to do but it makes sense here) and your good to go...