Your takes on a magician detective

Desert

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Your takes on a magician detective

he'd better be careful of folks will think HE'Sthe criminal

He was arrested once, although that was just a ruse to put pressure on Lord D'arcy to find the real killer.

Lucius Alexander

Finding the real palindromedary

• 2 years later...

Re: Your takes on a magician detective

And then there were some magicians who pretended to be stage magicians while fighting the forces of darkness like Zatara and his predecessors.

Personally I like the last choice myself.

CES

I'm a fan of this as well. My detective, is not a stage magician at all, but a real magician who lives more of a detective's life. He does not dress oddly, but looks like a trenchcoat wearing guy who does most of his work at night, but has some magic at his disposal in the form of a variable power pool and some magical items to help him fight bad guys or figure out clues. He does not broadcast his magical abilities though for various reasons, some of which are he does not want to get "recruited" by either Demon or the US Government.

I like the base idea though, a sanctuary with some added defenses like mental defense and perhaps a vault to store items he can't or does not want to use, or let anyone else use. Overall though, he does do mundane criminal investigation, but he is also called upon to handle more paranormal situations or enemies. Some of whom may not be from this world. In this world, most "magicians" are folks with some magical talent but not a lot. This translates into most "magicians" folks being able to use magical items or trinkets but not able to actually cast magic or shape it to their desires. He can though so he is a cut above and thus sought out by others who know what he is capable of.