Captain Nebula

Lucius

This is just the beginning of the background; but I intend to finish and post the whole character eventually.

It began as a dimness, a shadow obscuring certain stars, and only astronomers noticed. It seemed to vanish, only to be found occluding a slightly different patch of sky. The Occlusion, as they dubbed it, was moving. And growing. No, not growing - growing closer. Moving in a helix, spiralling down towards the heart of the Solar System. Tacking, they realized eventually, against the solar wind. It was not just astronomers who took notice now.

Probes were sent, from NASA, JSA, ESA. The images were awe inspiring, the data intriguing and baffling. When telemetry from the first probe abruptly stopped, the course of the great cloud of dust and gas changed - taking it straight towards the next two. A course it continued after it did whatever it did to the next two probes. Whatever it was, it was heading towards Earth. Not towards where the Earth had been when the probes were launched; but on a course to intercept. It was insubstantial as smoke, but it moved as if with intelligence and purpose. And indications were that it had destroyed the probes.

But then came broadcasts; snippets of everything from popular television to the coded transmissions that had been directed at the probes. As if it meant to communicate.

The experimental vehicle named Nebula was sent next, under the command of Captain Mercedes MacCleod. Nebula was manned - and armed. The mission was to try to persuade this intruder to the solar system to change it's threatening course or, if it were not intelligent or could not communicate or would not be persuaded, to attempt to destroy it with nuclear weapons.

No one was prepared for how fast it could move. When they began trying radio transmissions at two light minutes away, the entity changed course and speed yet again - and the astronauts and their ship were engulfed.

Stunned and helpless listeners at Mission Control heard one of the crew scream "The Captain! She's GONE!" Then nearly ten minutes of radio silence, punctuated by explosions. The spacecraft Nebula was no longer visible on instruments.

"This is...Captain...uh...Nebula" Both staticky and hesitant, confused sounding, the voice was still recognizable, and cries of "She's ALIVE!" mingled with cheers, quickly silenced as all wanted to listen, intently. "The crew are in shock, may have radiation poisoning, we're coming back as fast as possible." In response to questions from Ground Control."The Nebula...the ship is destroyed. We're coming back without it."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary still isn't sure about any of this....

Re: Captain Nebula

I wonder if you've ever written popular fiction. You're certainly good enough- your writing is not at all annoying, even before you remove all the adjectives, and your name would look good on a dustjacket. Which is approximately 90% of what you need to be a popular fiction writer.

Certainly leaves me wanting about three to nine more pages.

"I was fascinated by these objects. Even taking them apart molecule by molecule, I could not determine what they were. I looked for the source. That is when I first heard your people...perhaps I began to suspect that the probes had been made, and to some purpose. I thought Nebula was another probe. I had taken apart one of the most fascinating pieces when I realized, all at once - this thing, although made of solid matter, incredibly, it was alive, it was a thinking being. I can't explain what I did when I realized I was killing someone, but the only way I saw to save me in that instant of my disintegration was to become me. I...We...fused. And I realized somehow I had become this thing we came out to talk to or to stop, and I saw that I had already disassembled too much of Nebula and the crew were on their suit oxygen, we had to get to Earth. But that took energy, and I was heading towards a star to replenish - but there was plenty of energy right there! All I had to do was put myself between the solid people and those little stars-on-demand, and trigger them, and I could reach Earth before their oxygen ran out!"

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes we're still working on it.

i wonder if you've ever written popular fiction. You're certainly good enough- your writing is not at all annoying, even before you remove all the adjectives, and your name would look good on a dustjacket. Which is approximately 90% of what you need to be a popular fiction writer.

Certainly leaves me wanting about three to nine more pages.

agreed

I have just one criticism: You sent McCleod, in the Nebula, to observe stellar gas.

Overdoing the theme just a bit.

Doc

You have a point, and it's worse than that.

I named her Mercedes so that her nickname would be "Misty."

It's no worse than what is often seen in comics (what was Dr. Octopus' original name again?) but I'll give some thought to toning that down.

Or turning it up and taking it over the top.

I'm working on the mechanics at the same time as the background, and it's going to be a monster. Lately I'm hitting the extremes - Foxbatmite on nearly a thousand, Aunt May at negative fifty, this one again over a thousand. I think. I haven't begun to total it.

Hm, I also have two characters already with that last name (or a variation.) I was going to give her an Afro-American father and Mexican mother, but maybe I'll tie her into my existing "dynasty...."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests I go back to reasonable point budgets after this....

re: name: Nah, you're not overdoing a theme, you're homaging the Golden and Silver Age. Especially the Silver Age. Everyone had names that were either alliterative or referential. Category one: Clark Kent, Lex Luthor, Lois lain, Lana Lang, Gorilla Grodd, and so on. Category two: Knight and Fogg, Dr. Octopus, Dr. Steven Strange (a twofer- alliterative and referring to a strange ability), and so forth.

When I really get a good idea with my heroes, it works out that way, too. Homage is totally cool. I devised a thrown objects guy whose secret ID name is Clinton Queen (both an alliteration and an homage to Hawkeye and Green Arrow. Not throwers, but close enough). One of the crime bosses I devised is obsessed with the power of light and darkness, and his name is Dr. Reisenscheine (say it out loud).

Point is: Character names can be corny, or they can be good, but the best names are both.

You have a point, and it's worse that than.

I named her Mercedes so that her nickname would be "Misty."

It's no worse than what is often seen in comics (what was Dr. Octopus' original name again?) but I'll give some thought to toning that down.

Or turning it up and taking it over the top.

I'm working on the mechanics at the same time as the background, and it's going to be a monster. Lately I'm hitting the extremes - Foxbatmite on nearly a thousand, Aunt May at negative fifty, this one again over a thousand. I think. I haven't begun to total it.

Hm, I also have two characters already with that last name (or a variation.) I was going to give her an Afro-American father and Mexican mother, but maybe I'll tie her into my existing "dynasty...."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests I go back to reasonable point budgets after this....

wouldn't mercy be the nickname of someone named mercedes?

If the name is the only thing bothering people, I think I'm doing good.

Once I get the character posted, though, I imagine you'll find all kinds of things to rip into. That's okay, I plan to highlight some of the rule-bending and -breaking things I am doing just so they're not missed.

:P Maybe I'll end up crafting two versions of the origin story - with and without extra cheese. Maybe I need a better character name than "Captain Nebula...."

The crunchy bits however will be cheese-stuffed. Partly because that's what's fast and easy to build, and having started this thread I don't want it hanging around forever unconsummated.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that this will be a "don't try this at home" character.

Guest Major Tom

re: name: Nah, you're not overdoing a theme, you're homaging the Golden and Silver Age. Especially the Silver Age. Everyone had names that were either alliterative or referential. Category one: Clark Kent, Lex Luthor, Lois lain, Lana Lang, Gorilla Grodd, and so on. Category two: Knight and Fogg, Dr. Octopus, Dr. Steven Strange (a twofer- alliterative and referring to a strange ability), and so forth.

When I really get a good idea with my heroes, it works out that way, too. Homage is totally cool. I devised a thrown objects guy whose secret ID name is Clinton Queen (both an alliteration and an homage to Hawkeye and Green Arrow. Not throwers, but close enough). One of the crime bosses I devised is obsessed with the power of light and darkness, and his name is Dr. Reisenscheine (say it out loud).

Point is: Character names can be corny, or they can be good, but the best names are both.

You do realize that you're a sick puppy, don't you?

Actually naming a character Dr. Reisenscheine...that's just straddling the edge

of TV's Batman-type campiness (not to mention running the risk of your

players experiencing a sudden urge to toss slightly-heavy objects in your gen-

eral direction).

Major Tom :rolleyes:

I had another installment, but then my computer went down and I have to start over....

Lucius Alexander

I think the palindromedary ate it!

Now I seem to have writer's block.

While I'm working past it -

In keeping with my offer to have two versions - with and without extra cheese - I'm open to suggestions.

I think you can see where this is going. The character will be a "fusion" between an exceptionally heroic (but not "super") human being, and a gas-and-energy entity native to deep space. It will be able to change from human to nebulous form. It will occasionally have difficulty harmonizing its bizarre dual memories and identities (why I used different colors for the sequence in the character's own words) and a lot of each was lost in the fusion, or at least misplaced - the character may occasionally have memories surface of the time before coming to the solar system, but most of that life is not consciously available.

So - anyone got a better name for the character?

Edit - I just learned the Champions Universe has a character named Nebula. One more reason to consider a different name. But I am drawing a blank on what to use - "Supergas" doesn't do it for me (unless we're going for extra, extra, extra cheese)

A better name for the human identity, or ideas on background? (I'm already rethinking that myself....)

A better name for the spacecraft - or an idea that doesn't even involve spacecraft?

Lucius Alexander

Captain Palindromedary

Following the announcement that the astronauts were returning without their spacecraft, there was a moment of stunned silence. Then someone said "The lag is wrong. They are almost 7 light minutes out, but that last response took less than one minute. How!?"

"I come in peace for all mankind." Those words, so familiar to everyone present, riveted their attention. "I come in peace for all mankind." Later it would be realized that the broadcast had been on every radio frequency in use, and in several languages. "I come in peace for all mankind." Every channel used for visual images bore an image of the Earth, growing rapidly larger.

Mission Control - and much of Houston - was enveloped in a pearly, radiant mist. Fortunately, before too many accidents occurred on the streets of Houston, the unnatural fog withdrew, shrank.....in the infirmary the babbling crew appeared as the obscuring light vanished....and finally became a swirling tornado of light right right in the heart of Mission Control. And then finally resolved into the familiar form of Captain Mercedes MacLeod.

But this was not the same person they knew. And she would never be the same again.

Lucius Alexander

House of the palindromedary

Without Extra Cheese.

It began as a dimness, a shadow obscuring certain stars, and only astronomers noticed. It seemed to vanish, only to be found occluding a slightly different patch of sky. The Occlusion, as they dubbed it, was moving. And growing. No, not growing - growing closer. Moving in a helix, spiralling down towards the heart of the Solar System. Tacking, they realized eventually, against the solar wind. It was not just astronomers who took notice now.

Probes were sent, from NASA, JSA, ESA. The images were awe inspiring, the data intriguing and baffling. When telemetry from the first probe abruptly stopped, the course of the great cloud of dust and gas changed - taking it straight towards the next two. A course it continued after it did whatever it did to the next two probes. Whatever it was, it was heading towards Earth. Not towards where the Earth had been when the probes were launched; but on a course to intercept. It was insubstantial as smoke, but it moved as if with intelligence and purpose. And indications were that it had destroyed the probes.

But then came broadcasts; snippets of everything from popular television to the coded transmissions that had been directed at the probes. As if it meant to communicate.

The experimental vehicle named StarGuard was sent next, under the command of Captain Mercedes MacCleod. StarGuard was manned - and armed. It's original intended purpose had been to intercept and destroy asteroids on a collision course with Earth. The mission now was to try to persuade this intruder to the solar system to change it's threatening course or, if it were not intelligent or could not communicate or would not be persuaded, to attempt to destroy it with nuclear weapons.

No one was prepared for how fast it could move. When they began trying radio transmissions at two light minutes away, the entity changed course and speed yet again - and the astronauts and their ship were engulfed.

Stunned and helpless listeners at Mission Control heard one of the crew scream "The Captain! She's GONE!" Then nearly ten minutes of radio silence, punctuated by explosions. The spacecraft was no longer visible on instruments.

"This is...StarGuard" Both staticky and hesitant, confused sounding, the voice was still recognizable, and cries of "She's ALIVE!" mingled with cheers, quickly silenced as all wanted to listen, intently. "The crew are in shock, may have radiation poisoning, we're coming back as fast as possible." In response to questions from Ground Control."The ...the ship is destroyed. We're coming back without it."

"I was fascinated by these objects. Even taking them apart molecule by molecule, I could not determine what they were. I looked for the source. That is when I first heard your people...perhaps I began to suspect that the probes had been made, and to some purpose. I thought StarGuard was another probe. I had taken apart one of the most fascinating pieces when I realized, all at once - this thing, although made of solid matter, incredibly, it was alive, it was a thinking being. I can't explain what I did when I realized I was killing someone, but the only way I saw to save me in that instant of my disintegration was to become me. I...We...fused. And I realized somehow I had become this thing we came out to talk to or to stop, and I saw that I had already disassembled too much of StarGaurd and the crew were on their suit oxygen, we had to get to Earth. But that took energy, and I was heading towards a star to replenish - but there was plenty of energy right there! All I had to do was put myself between the solid people and those little stars-on-demand, and trigger them, and I could reach Earth before their oxygen ran out!"

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks the salt was cut too

Guest Major Tom

Without Extra Cheese.

The experimental vehicle named StarGuard was sent next, under the command of Captain Mercedes MacCleod. StarGuard was manned - and armed. It's original intended purpose had been to intercept and destroy asteroids on a collision course with Earth. The mission now was to try to persuade this intruder to the solar system to change it's threatening course or, if it were not intelligent or could not communicate or would not be persuaded, to attempt to destroy it with nuclear weapons.

Stunned and helpless listeners at Mission Control heard one of the crew scream "The Captain! She's GONE!" Then nearly ten minutes of radio silence, punctuated by explosions. The spacecraft was no longer visible on instruments.

"This is...StarGuard" Both staticky and hesitant, confused sounding, the voice was still recognizable, and cries of "She's ALIVE!" mingled with cheers, quickly silenced as all wanted to listen, intently. "The crew are in shock, may have radiation poisoning, we're coming back as fast as possible." In response to questions from Ground Control."The ...the ship is destroyed. We're coming back without it."

"I was fascinated by these objects. Even taking them apart molecule by molecule, I could not determine what they were. I looked for the source. That is when I first heard your people...perhaps I began to suspect that the probes had been made, and to some purpose. I thought StarGuard was another probe. I had taken apart one of the most fascinating pieces when I realized, all at once - this thing, although made of solid matter, incredibly, it was alive, it was a thinking being. I can't explain what I did when I realized I was killing someone, but the only way I saw to save me in that instant of my disintegration was to become me. I...We...fused. And I realized somehow I had become this thing we came out to talk to or to stop, and I saw that I had already disassembled too much of StarGaurd and the crew were on their suit oxygen, we had to get to Earth. But that took energy, and I was heading towards a star to replenish - but there was plenty of energy right there! All I had to do was put myself between the solid people and those little stars-on-demand, and trigger them, and I could reach Earth before their oxygen ran out!"

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks the salt was cut too

Judas Priest...this thing set off nukes next to living beings for an emergency

snack?!

I hope it had boatloads of radiation absorption.

Major Tom :eek:

Judas Priest...this thing set off nukes next to living beings for an emergency

snack?!

I hope it had boatloads of radiation absorption.

Major Tom :eek:

You'll notice it was worried that the crew might suffer radiation poisoning. The alternative was asphyxiation....

Speaking of snacks-

How do people like the "no extra cheese version?"

edit - wait a minute - it took you that long to catch that?

edit again - and it wasn't necessarily "next to." It can hold a nuke in one, uh, apendage, and an astronaut in another, and put a LOT of distance between them....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary sings

Ground Control to Major Tom

Ground Control to Major Tom

Pop your KI pills and put your lead suit on....

Got a name.

I remember being Mercedes MacLeod. I remember growing up in New Mexico and spending time with my mother's family in Old Mexico...I remember, the first time I made the trip, wondering how the place I had always known could be “newer” than this strange place I was going to.

I remember playing with the way stars look and sound.....if I was full of energy I could shift speed and direction just to distort the colors and....the radio waves sound so funny if I do that. I remember my father's gray eyes so light in his dark face. I remember when I told him I wanted to go to the stars – I'd been reading Heinlein, and Norton, and Asimov - he said “Maybe you will. Remember, folks gonna try to hold you down, just 'cause a my color, just 'cause your ma wasn't even born in this country, just 'cause you're a girl...but really, just 'cause they's jealous or ignorant.” I remember, he put his hands on my shoulders and looked so serious “Misty – don't ever believe 'em when they say 'you can't do that!'” I remember daring myself to go to planets, much bigger worlds than this...feeling the awful weight, the pull on every part of my body, not nearly as great as the draw of a star, but without that glorious counterthrust of energy pouring out in the other direction. The stories I loved were First Contact stories....where aliens meet for the first time. I joined the Air Force and learned to fly, I joined the Navy and saw the world, I learned about languages and cultures, I learned about space. I remember the taste of that first strange object....the metal so pure, the shapes so regular and logical, the weird ways electricity flowed in it. And there were more like it! I noticed this world was singing to them. I didn't understand your transmissions, I don't think I really knew it was even meaningful...but I sang back, as I sing back to stars sometimes, as I would sing back to one of my own kind. I'd written papers, I'd been the main author of a report for NASA on the theoretical situation of a First Contact. Sometimes people said things like “Here comes Captain Kirk. Excuse me, Captain MacLeod.” or “First Contact Protocol – Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure!” but I just remembered what my father said. Then, when they began to think the Occlusion might actually be an alien or a vessel or something of the sort, I was the first choice to command the mission. I had never felt such pride and happiness. I had barely started to take apart this new object when I realized there were things inside very different...I burned with curiosity, I took one apart eager to know what it was, and then the answer came like a nova inside me – it was alive! And I was killing it! I had never felt such shame and sorrow. I don't think my kind usually put together physical objects we've taken apart....I don't know how I did what I did next. But everything that had been Mercedes MacCloud, down to the energy state of every neuron on her brain, was part of me now – and I saw a way to make it so, to keep it so, to....fuse with her. But I don't remember everything. I speak fluent German, I was stationed there, I have a map of the country in my head – I don't remember the name of a single person I met in Germany. And...I feel differently about things. I remember that I have known other beings like me, made of stardust and vapors and patterns of force – but I don't remember them clearly. I think I am less than I was. I feel differently about things. I remember the oath I swore, becoming an officer. But the United States seems like such a small thing now; I remember what it feels like to let a world bigger than Neptune pass through my body.And is an oath sworn by a human, binding on...something else? My name was Mercedes MacLeod. My name was something that cannot even be spoken in sound waves, only in pulses of energy in wavelengths your kind have never measured.I will need a name, for I mean to stay in this system for a long time. Matter in your world comes in such complex, intricate forms! I am sorry I destroyed the shield you meant to use to protect your world. I will take its place for you. Anything smaller than your moon, I can deflect or destroy! Because I could not bear to let some disaster befall a world full of things like you solid people and slugs and volvox and the songs of whales and the Moody Blues.... Let me be called Nova Defensor, your new defender!

Query: Is this format okay or should I not run it together and make each "aspect" speak in seperate paragraphs?

Lucius Alexander

A world with things like palindromedaries and backandforthtrians

Finally!

I finished the crunchy bits, and it's under a thousand points!

Nova Defensor

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15/80 STR 5 12- / 25- Lift 200.0kg/1.6ktons; 3d6/16d6 [1/7]

20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

15 CON 10 12-

12/17 BODY 4 11- / 12-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

21 EGO 22 13- ECV: 7

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6

8 COM -1 11-

4/22 PD 1 Total: 4/22 PD (0/10 rPD)

3/21 ED 0 Total: 3/21 ED (0/10 rED)

4 SPD 10 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

6 REC 0

30 END 0

28/33 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 100

Movement:

Running: 7"/14"

Flight: 13"/104"

Gliding: 40"/640"

Leaping: 3"/6"

Swimming: 3"/6"

Teleportation: 10"/320"

Cost Powers END

32 Living Nebula: Elemental Control, 80-point powers, (40 Active Points); all slots Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4)

38 1) Astronomical Size: Growth (+25 STR, +5 BODY, +5 STUN, -5" KB, 3,200 kg, -3 DCV, +3 PER Rolls to perceive character, 6.3 m tall, 3.2 m wide), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (87 Active Points); Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4)

32 2) Astronomical Mass: Density Increase (25,600 kg mass, +40 STR, +8 PD/ED, -8" KB), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (80 Active Points); Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4)

32 3) But still, Mostly Space: Desolidification (affected by Gravitic), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (80 Active Points); Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4)

33 4) Vast Being: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75%, Hardened (+1/4), Difficult To Dispel (x2 Active Points; +1/4) (90 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4) 9

33 5) Vast Being: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75%, Hardened (+1/4), Difficult To Dispel (x2 Active Points; +1/4) (90 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4) 9

33 6) Vast Mind: Mental Damage Reduction, 75%, Hardened (+1/4), Difficult To Dispel (x2 Active Points; +1/4) (90 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4) 9

28 7) Too Vast to Affect: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED/10 Mental Defense/15 Power Defense) (Protect Carried Items), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Hardened (+1/4) (82 Active Points); Limited Power Not Vs Megascale attacks (-1/4), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4) 7

27 8) At Home in the Universe: Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity All non-terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity All non-terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: Anything else I didn't think of; Longevity: Immortal; Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep) (81 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4) 8

120 Cosmic Powers: Multipower, 240-point reserve, (240 Active Points); all slots Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

6m 1) Flight 13", Position Shift, x8 Noncombat, No Turn Mode (+1/4), combat acceleration/deceleration (+1/4), rapid Noncombat movement (+1/4) (72 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 7

6m 2) Flight 5", Position Shift, No Turn Mode (+1/4), combat acceleration/deceleration (+1/4), rapid Noncombat movement (+1/4), Noncombat acceleration/deceleration (+1), MegaScale (1" = 1 million km; +1 3/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (71 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 7

2u 3) Sailing the solar winds: Gliding 23", Position Shift, x16 Noncombat (43 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Requires Light To Use (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

2u 4) Sailing the solar winds: Gliding 17", Position Shift, MegaScale (1" = 1,000 km; +1), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (49 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Requires Light To Use (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

2u 5) Hyperspace: Teleportation 7", No Relative Velocity, Position Shift, x32 Noncombat, x8 Increased Mass (64 Active Points); Requires A Cosmic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 6

3u 6) Hyperspace: Teleportation 3", No Relative Velocity, Position Shift, x8 Increased Mass, MegaScale (1" = 100 km; +3/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (72 Active Points); Requires A Cosmic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 7

8m 7) Focused Gravitics: MegaScale (Effectively, inside it's "body") (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Area Of Effect (up to One Hex; +1/2), Selective (+1/4); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2) for up to 80 Active Points of STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (79 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4)

16m 8) Focused Gravitics: Affects Physical World (+2); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2) for up to 80 Active Points of STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (160 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4)

12m 9) Destructive Analysis: (Total: 187 Active Cost, 61 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (1d6+1 / 2d6 w/STR), Penetrating (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Does BODY (+1), Attack Versus Limited Defense (+1 1/2), Affects Physical World (+2) (130 Active Points); -2 Decreased STUN Multiplier (-1/2), Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), Limited Power Not Vs Gravitic or Magnetic Defenses (-1/4), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) (Real Cost: 40) plus Detect A Large Class Of Things (all physical objects, including living things) 17- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Microscopic: x100,000,000, Rapid: x1,000 (57 Active Points); Linked (Disassemble down to molecular/atomic level; -1/2), Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) (Real Cost: 21)

Notes: Having almost killed someone the last time this power was used, Captain Nebula will probably be reluctant to use it again.

7m 10) Malleable Body: Stretching 7", x64 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (90 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Physical Manifestation (can be targetted) (-1/4), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

4m 11) Malleable Body: Stretching 3", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 1 million km; +1 3/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (52 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Physical Manifestation (can be targetted) (-1/4), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

2u 12) Stealth : Invisibility to Sight, Hearing and Radio Groups , Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

2u 13) Cloud shapes: Shape Shift (Sight and Smell/Taste Groups, limited group of shapes), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (34 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

22m 14) Living Shield: Force Wall (10 ED/10 Power Defense) (Alterable Size), Transparent to PD Attacks (+1/2), MegaScale (1" = 1,000 km; +1), Affects Physical World (+2) (225 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 22

111 Cosmic Awareness: Detect A Large Class Of Things : Energy (Heat, Light, Sound, Radiation, Electricity, Magnetism), Gravity and Matter 14- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Microscopic: x10,000, Range, Rapid: x10, Sense, Targeting, Telescopic: +8, Tracking, Transmit, Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; +1/4), Indirect (Percieves into and through things.; +1/4) (111 Active Points)

31 Mindbridge: Mind Link , All minds of people inside the character's body. class of minds, Specific Group of Minds, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Affects Physical World (+2), MegaScale (1" = 1 million km; +1 3/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (55 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4)

4 Extra Limbs (100) (5 Active Points); Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4)

24 Power Can Draw END from Character or END Reserve (+1/4) for up to 80 Active Points of STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4)

63 Endurance Reserve (500 END, 50 REC) Reserve: (100 Active Points); REC: (50 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1), Limited Recovery (Dependant on power source - to get full REC must be near an atomic bomb, the surface of a star, etc...lesser energy sources will count for much less and take more time to add up to even 1 END.; -1), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4)

Talents

3 Cosmic Rhythm: Absolute Time Sense

12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

3 Lightning Calculator

5 Rapid Healing

6 Speed Reading (x100)

Skills

3 Scholar

1 1) KS: Air Force Lore 11-

2 2) KS: First Contact Stories 13-

2 3) KS: History of Aviation 13-

2 4) KS: History of Space Exploration 13-

1 5) KS: Navy Lore 11-

2 6) KS: Science Fiction 13-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Astronomy 13-

2 2) SS: Astrophysics 13-

2 3) SS: Avionics 13-

1 4) SS: Cultural Anthropology 11-

2 5) SS: Linguistics 13-

2 6) SS: Physics 13-

3 Traveler

2 1) AK: Germany 13-

2 2) AK: Japan 13-

2 3) AK: New Mexico 13-

2 4) AK: Solar System 13-

2 5) CuK: Japan 13-

2 6) CuK: Mexico 13-

3 Jack of All Trades

2 1) PS: Astronaut 13-

2 2) PS: Flight Instructor 13-

2 3) PS: Officer 13-

2 4) PS: Test Pilot 13-

3 Linguist

0 1) Language: .English (imitate dialects; Father's Tongue)

1 2) Language: .Spanish (idiomatic; Mother's Tongue)

1 3) Language: American Sign Language (fluent conversation)

1 4) Language: Arabic (basic conversation)

1 5) Language: German (fluent conversation)

1 6) Language: Japanese (basic conversation)

1 7) Language: Mandarin (basic conversation)

1 8) Language: Russian (fluent conversation)

Military Pilot and Astronaut

5 1) Combat Piloting 14-

7 2) TF: Combat Aircraft, Helicopters, Large Planes, NASA Spacecraft, Parachuting, Basic, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles, Small Planes, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles

5 3) Military Training: WF: Common Melee Weapons, Small Arms, Aircraft Weapons

6 4) Systems Operation (Communications Systems, Life Support Systems, Radar, Sensor Jamming Equipment) 13-

3 5) Paramedics 13-

3 6) Oratory 13-

5 7) Navigation (Air, Land, Marine, Space) 13-

3 8) Tactics 13-

1 9) Mechanics 8-

1 10) Electronics 8-

3 11) Computer Programming 13-

1 12) Maintain, unjam, field repair, etc: Weaponsmith 8-

3 13) Cryptography 13-

Alien Being

5 Cosmic: Power 14-

5 Analyze: Object (Via Destructive Analysis) 14-

3 Analyze: Energy Fields 13-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 886

Total Cost: 986

1000+ Disadvantages

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

5 Age: 40+

10 Distinctive Features: Astronomically large cloud of interstellar gas and dust embedded in a mysterious energy field. (Easily Concealed; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Deep Space)

15 Accidental Change to Nebulous Form: Subjected to Mind Control, or Telepathy beyond surface level. 14- (Uncommon)

25 Accidental Change to Nebulous Form: Unconscious, sleeping, or BOD below 1 Always (Common)

5 Dependence: Nebulous Form, Takes 3d6 Damage (Very Common, 1 Day) Notes: Human form is unstable and begins to break down if the nebulous form is not resumed from time to time.

5 Susceptibility: In nebulous form, gravity of 1 G or so or more. 3d6 damage per 6 Hours (Very Common)

10 Dependent NPC: Husband 8- (Normal)

15 Psychological Limitation: Torn between two identities. "Am I human? Or am I...something Else?" (Very Common, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Afraid of being trapped in Human form (Common, Moderate)

10 Physical Limitation: Large gaps of memory; does not perfectly remember either life as a Human, or as a "nebula." (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

10 Social Limitation: Public Identity (Frequently, Minor)

15 Reputation: Not really Human anymore...., 14-

5 Hunted: Practically every security and law enforcement agency on Earth. 8- (As Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area (Earth), PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

5 Hunted: The Media 11- (Less Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area (Earth), PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

Total Disadvantage Points: 986

In human form, MacLeod still has all the abilities of a skilled pilot - if anything, her senses and reaction time seem to have been enhanced.

In nebulous form, it reacts relatively slowly for a "superbeing" (many powers have Extra Time and Gradual Effect.) But it is also proof against most possible forms of attack.

Note that it takes 42 END to activate the Elemental Control and thus assume the gigantic but insubstantial form. If the END Reserve ever falls below that, becoming "Trapped" in Human form may be a real possibility – because the REC doesn't work in that form.

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

Cheesy Crunchy Bits

Crunchy Bits with Cheese!

As promised, the product warning labels.

-------------------------------

Ingredient: Munchkin Cheese

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

5 Age: 40+

Terrible ideas that I know shouldn't even be in the game, but I used them here anyway.

Ingredient: Legacy Power That Should Have Been Cleaned Up Long Ago(causes heartburn and makes you gassy, may cause you to pass walls)

32 3) But still, Mostly Space: Desolidification (affected by Gravitic), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (80 Active Points); Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4)

Not crazy about how Desolid works - it combines two separate powers and links them to a single set of implied SFX - but it's currently the only way to get what I wanted here. In this case (and in many others, I admit) it fits as it is.

Ingredient: Home Brewed Immunities

27 8) At Home in the Universe: Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity All non-terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity All non-terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: Anything else I didn't think of; Longevity: Immortal; Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep) (81 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4) 8

Not cheesy per se, but note the bolded parts. I paid a lot in Active Points to be basically immune everything.

Ingredient: Naked Advantage in a Multipower, mature discretion advised.

As I have it in Hero Designer:

8u 7) Focused Gravitics - Not an Ultra: MegaScale (Effectively, inside it's "body") (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Area Of Effect (up to One Hex; +1/2), Selective (+1/4); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2) for up to 80 Active Points of STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (79 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4)

16u 8) Focused Gravitics - Not an Ultra: Affects Physical World (+2); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2) for up to 80 Active Points of STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (160 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4)

As it's really supposed to be.

8m 7) Focused Gravitics: MegaScale (Effectively, inside it's "body") (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Area Of Effect (up to One Hex; +1/2), Selective (+1/4); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2) for up to 80 Active Points of STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (79 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4)

16m 8) Focused Gravitics: Affects Physical World (+2); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2) for up to 80 Active Points of STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (160 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4)

I've been told, officially, that while a Naked Advantage in a Multipower is allowed "with permission" it is required to be a fixed rather than variable slot. I can use the "Cost Multiplier" trick to double the cost to what would be appropriate, but the program still insists on putting the little "u" rather than "m" there.

Ingredient: Bizarre Power/Modifier Combo

4m 11) Malleable Body: Stretching 3", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 1 million km; +1 3/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (52 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Physical Manifestation (can be targetted) (-1/4), Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

Megascale Stretch has been declared by Steve Long to be "not illegal" but he strongly implied that it's stretching things a little too far. Hero Designer thinks so, but on this I can tell it to shut up and do the job.

Ingredient: Unprocessed, Hastily Packaged Cosmic Cheese/Non-Sense

111 Cosmic Awareness: Detect A Large Class Of Things : Energy (Heat, Light, Sound, Radiation, Electricity, Magnetism), Gravity and Matter 14- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Microscopic: x10,000, Range, Rapid: x10, Sense, Targeting, Telescopic: +8, Tracking, Transmit, Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; +1/4), Indirect (Percieves into and through things.; +1/4) (111 Active Points)

Okay, this is just laziness. Instead of really statting out all the exotic senses this being should have, I slapped up a basic "detect everything" power. But look at how long it took me to get this done! Would you have really wanted me to spend still more time making sense(s) of this aspect of the character?

Ingredient: Punchline!

38 1) Astronomical Size: Growth (+25 STR, +5 BODY, +5 STUN, -5" KB, 3,200 kg, -3 DCV, +3 PER Rolls to perceive character, 6.3 m tall, 3.2 m wide), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (87 Active Points); Only In Nebulous Identity (-1/4)

Are you ready for the REAL secret origin of Captain Nebula/Nova Defensor/Whatever I call it?

It started with a throwaway line. "Can I put Megascale on Growth, and measure my character's height in Astronomical Units?"

It was a joke, but I couldn't forget. I kept coming back, thinking, what kind of character could POSSIBLY have such a power?

I finally asked Steve Long "Is this possible?" Generally liberal soul that he is, he pronounced it "suspicious" and "ridiculous" but "not illegal."

Rules never stop me when they don't make sense, but sometimes they do if they do make sense, and I'd see the sense if this were forbidden....but it wasn't. Would I have forgotten it if the answer had been "No way. But I'll have some of whatever you're drinking" or "Stop pestering me with insane questions and get some professional help?"

I dunno.

But with that faintest of blessings, I was compelled by my own Psychological Limitations to go forward. Slowly, as it turned out.

One of my first jests about it, given that the mass doesn't increase with the size, was "I'd be a :jupiter:Gas Giant!:saturn:"

Whereupon I was accused of going "all nebulous." In fact I found with a bit of calculation that I could add Density Increase, and STILL be less dense than a nebula.

This whole character was built around that one power - something I've called "My Craziest Idea Ever."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is sure that Lucius has had much crazier ideas.