Hero Designer: Automaton and Forcefield Conflict?

bigmack83

When building a character as an automaton, i added all the normal powers before adding the automaton. In case of a forcefield i have a problem.

The character is a very defensive character and has the following FF:

FF (20 PD/20 ED/20 Mental Defense/20 Power Defense/10 Flash Defense: Sight Group/10 Flash Defense: Hearing Group) (Protect Carried Items), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (137 Active Points)

But when i add the automaton ability (either of the takes no stun options) it automatically changes to this:

FF (20 PD/20 ED/20 Mental Defense/20 Power Defense/10 Flash Defense: Sight Group/10 Flash Defense: Hearing Group) (Protect Carried Items), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (412 Active Points)

which is essentially 3x the cost. I cant find anything that causes it to do this in the 5ER rulebook. I dont know if this is a glitch or what. Granted i do have most of the books i dont recall any other reference to this and cant exactly read everything at once. i will keep looking but if anyone has the answer to this it would be much appreciated

EDIT: I have also noticed a similar issue with Damage resistance.

Re: Hero Designer: Automaton and Forcefield Conflict?

Automaton characters who take no STUN pay triple for their defensive powers, so Hero Designer is correctly tripling the cost of the force field.

I note that, for an attack to affect the automaton, it must first penetrate the force field (requiring over 20 BOD) and then get past its PD/ED, whatever they may be. Being invulnerable to attacks that roll less than 20 BOD seems well worth a few hundred points!

When building a character as an automaton, i added all the normal powers before adding the automaton. In case of a forcefield i have a problem.

The character is a very defensive character and has the following FF:

FF (20 PD/20 ED/20 Mental Defense/20 Power Defense/10 Flash Defense: Sight Group/10 Flash Defense: Hearing Group) (Protect Carried Items), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (137 Active Points)

But when i add the automaton ability (either of the takes no stun options) it automatically changes to this:

FF (20 PD/20 ED/20 Mental Defense/20 Power Defense/10 Flash Defense: Sight Group/10 Flash Defense: Hearing Group) (Protect Carried Items), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (412 Active Points)

which is essentially 3x the cost. I cant find anything that causes it to do this in the 5ER rulebook. I dont know if this is a glitch or what. Granted i do have most of the books i dont recall any other reference to this and cant exactly read everything at once. i will keep looking but if anyone has the answer to this it would be much appreciated

Re: Hero Designer: Automaton and Forcefield Conflict?

@Hugh

good point. this makes sense that its harder to damage the player and should be more expensive. I just didnt see the rule for it.

@ghost-angel

thanks for the page number.

i found the location of the rule and is much appreciated.