Design Challenge: Initiative Recruits

fbdaury

So, I was wondeing who here has been following this Marvel title and enjoying it- its the only MU title I currently read consistently, except for issues with Steve Uy art, because I really hate his art.

Anyways, I was thinking it might interesting to see if anyone would be interested in coming up with a two-stage character- the first write up would be for your character at the time that they reach Camp Hammond, and the scond would be at the end of the training period. Starting write up would be for upto 300 point character with the final write up being for the finished 350 point character. In the first issue they give a rough breakdown of the training as: caombat training, first aid, and superhuman ethics, so all of these things should be incorporated into the final character and it would make some sense for their to be at least some improvement of the character's physical chars, running, and swimming skills, as these are all dealt with in the training throughout the first graduating class's story arc.

If anyone else is interested I would also do a character and then we could compare how different people approach character creation and also how they would approach the Initiative training and the changes it would make in a novice hero. So, anyone else interested in giving it a try?

Re: Design Challenge: Initiative Recruits

So, I was wondeing who here has been following this Marvel title and enjoying it- its the only MU title I currently read consistently, except for issues with Steve Uy art, because I really hate his art.

Anyways, I was thinking it might interesting to see if anyone would be interested in coming up with a two-stage character- the first write up would be for your character at the time that they reach Camp Hammond, and the scond would be at the end of the training period. Starting write up would be for upto 300 point character with the final write up being for the finished 350 point character. In the first issue they give a rough breakdown of the training as: caombat training, first aid, and superhuman ethics, so all of these things should be incorporated into the final character and it would make some sense for their to be at least some improvement of the character's physical chars, running, and swimming skills, as these are all dealt with in the training throughout the first graduating class's story arc.

If anyone else is interested I would also do a character and then we could compare how different people approach character creation and also how they would approach the Initiative training and the changes it would make in a novice hero. So, anyone else interested in giving it a try?

wouldn't that be obsolete now that the plainclothes green goblin himself norman osborn is in charge of the initiative?

wouldn't that be obsolete now that the plainclothes green goblin himself norman osborn is in charge of the initiative?

As of the end of issue 23, it woud seem yes, but I was thinking the characters would be going into Camp Hammond right around the same time as HardBall, Trauma, Cloud 9, and the rest of the comic ensemble cast, as the program is just gettting intofull steam.

I'd probably come up with a Initiative Recruit Package deal first, since everyone has several skills in common and then they branch out into the various specialty fields.

As for the book, it's going through some changes as a result of Dark Reign and the War of Kings tie in... it's been solicited up through August so we have SOME idea of what's going down...

I'd probably come up with a Initiative Recruit Package deal first, since everyone has several skills in common and then they branch out into the various specialty fields.

As for the book, it's going through some changes as a result of Dark Reign and the War of Kings tie in... it's been solicited up through August so we have SOME idea of what's going down...

Well, tha packages I came up with follow, one is for basic hero out of Camp Hammond, the other is for a hero picked to join one of the 50 State teams, entitled Avenger training to save confusion.

One other note: I use Pre-5th ed rules for package deals, I just like it better that way- so the disavantages factor into and reduce the overall cost of the packages and do not count out of the usual 150 limit, YMMV.

(43) Initiative Basic Training Pacakage:

Not The same Candy Asses you were coming in-

+3 Dex, +3 Con, and +1 Spd (total, includes .3 Spd from Dex)

Move Your Asses-

+2" Running (8" total/ 4" halfmove/ 16" NCM)

Over the Wall-

+2" Leaping

Perk:Licensed Superhero

KS:Supers' World 11

KS:US Superhuman Laws 11

PS: Registered Superhuman 11

Paramedics 11

Tactics 8

Teamwork 11

TF:Avengers Issue Jet Packs

Initiative Basic Hand to Hand

Block OCV+2 DCV+2 Block/Abort

Dodge OCV - DCV+5 Dodge all attacks/Abort

Strike OCV+0 DCV+2 Strength +2d6 Strike

Throw OCV+0 DCV+1 Strength + v/5, Target falls

WF: Small Arms

+2 OCV with any tight group of attacks

Disadvantages:

Watched: US Government (MPow/NCI) 8/easy

(-18) Initiative Avenger Training Pacakage: (Add-on to Basic Training)

Perk:National Police Powers

Perk:Concealed Carry Permit

Membership: 50 State Initiative Superteam (lvl 3)

Raise Tactics to 11

Raise Teamwork to (Dex/5+9)

Add following Maneuvers to Initiative Basic Hand to Hand-

Disarm OCV-1 DCV+1 Disarm, Str+10 for roll

Grab OCV-1 DCV-1 Grab 2 limbs, Str+10 to hold

Disadvantages:

Subject to Orders (Very Frequently, Major)

Famous

(this Means that overall the Avengers Package costs the character 25 points in total)

I think what were looking for here, and correct me if im wrong is write ups for the initial recruits from issue 1, and that would be

Cloud 9 (EC wind powers?)

MVP (Heightened Physical stats)

Armory (VPP attack powers)

Hardball (force powers multipool?)

Komodo (regeneration)

Trauma (mental illusions)

I dont know if you would include the guantlet in that line up too, as he wasn't a recruit as such, but an instructor. I'd be interested in taking part, sounds like fun, its a good (if underated) title.

Cheers

Cloud 9's gas cloud provides flight, darkness and and a choking NND. I'd have to look back to see, but I don;t think she ever actually used the choking effect on anyone while she was using it to fly...

Armory washed out in the first issue, so there's not much to go on there. The Tactigon might be interesting to write up, but no one that's used it has lasted more than a few issues...

Trauma is an actual shapeshifter though. He gains powers based on the form he assumes.

I think what were looking for here, and correct me if im wrong is write ups for the initial recruits from issue 1

Actually, what I was suggesting is creating your own Initiative character in two versions: Pre Camp Hammond and after graduation, whether it be to a team or back on the streets as Non 50 States Hero.

So the idea is to create your own character, but to consider how the training received might change that character over the course of Basic- like how Cloud 9 changes from the quiet/self concious person she started out as to the headshot, gun-notching professional we see near the end of the Secret Invasion when she caps a Super Skrull from within her cloud with Adamantium jacketed bullet.

Okay, to start this off, here is the pre Camp Hammond write-up for my character creation, Road Arc.

Road Arc

Name: Thomas "Tommy" Patterson Jr.

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 165 lbs.

Eyes: Blue Grey

Hair: Dirty Blonde (natural)

Legal Status: Initiative recruit sent to Camp Hammond.

Str 13 (3) Damage: 2 1/2d6 Lift:150kg Leap:2 1/2"/1 1/4" Roll: 12 End:1

Dex 25 (45) OCV 8 DCV 8 Roll: 14

Con 25 (30) Roll:14

Body 10

Int 13 (3) Roll: 12 Perception Roll: 12

Ego 10 ECV 3 Roll: 11

Pre 10 Pre Attack:2d6 Roll: 11

Com 14(2) Roll: 12

PD 7(4) 15rPd/22 Pd

ED 15(5) 25rEd/35 Ed

Spd 5(15) Phases: 3,5,8,10,12

Rec 10(6)

End 50

Stun 30 Total:113 points

(79) Electrified Running- +24" running at 0 end (end only on base 6" run, +1/2), 1 End

(30" total running/15" half move/120" NCM- top run of 221 MPH before push), x4 NCM

(15) Building a Charge- 90 endurance reserve, 14 recovery but only in turns where

he has made at least a half move every phase (-1/2)

(5) Electrified Movements- +2 DCV, costs end (-1/2); x2 end cost (-1/2) 2 End

(50) Electrical Generation Powers (50 Active point reserve)

(2u) Arc Leaping- +18" Leaping, Accurate (20 1/2" across/ 11" upwards) 2 End

(2u) Bio-Electrical Recuperation- 5d6 Healing (standard healing, -0); extra time: 5/10 End

full phase (-1/2), 1/2 DCV (-1/4), Variable limitation: Self only or x2 end cost when used

on others (-1/4)

(2u) Electrical Blast- 10d6 energy blast; x2 end cost (-1/2), Inaccurate (1/2 10 End

OCV and 3" Range increments, -1/4)

(4u) Electrical Field- 15rPd/25rEd forcefield

(3u) Electrified Punches- +10d6 hand to hand attack (-1/2) 5 End

(3u) Ionized Running Path- Flight 25", x2 NCM; Must start and end phase on 5 End

solid horizontal surface (-1/2)

(3u) Taser Touch- 3d6 NND (Full coverage rED, +1) Does Body (+1); No range 5 End

(-1/2)

Perks/Talemts/Skills:

(1) Perk:Licensed Courier

(-) PS:Courier 11 (everyman skill)

(4) CK:New York City 13

(4) Navigation (land) 13

(3) Streetwise 11

(2) +1 OCV with Taser Touch

(200+) Disadvantages:

(10) Distinctive Features:Altered Human (Not Concealable, special tech or senses,

Recognized)

(10) DNPC:Girlfriend Amanda Seaton (normal/knows he is at Camp Hammond), 8

(15) Claustrophobia (Common/Strong)

(15) Does not wish to be a hero, just wants to get his registration card so that he

can go back to his courier job - Common/Strong)

(15) Resents Authority Figures (Common/Strong)

(5) Social Lim: Superhuman (Infrequently/minor- still disliked in some parts of US)

(15) Social Lim:Secret Identity (on record but files only available to government)

(10) 2d6 Unluck

Tommy Patterson came froma long line of lawyers and military men that then went into politics and it was obvious from an early age that this was not going to be the fate of Tommy- between his slacker attitude and his general disdain for authority it was apparent that he was going to disappoint his family. At age 17, Tommy "escaped" from the latest in a long line of military academies and made his way to Bew York, where he was able to get an under the table job as a bike courier while finishing his high school studies via correspondance.

In New York, Tommy found himself, becoming a successful courier and meeting a young woman who became his girlfriend, he even gave some thought about going to college for law so that he could become a legal aid lawyer to help the people on the street that he saw every day fall through the cracks of society and the legal system. Before he could do so however, his life changed forever...

While making a bike transfer across town, he got caught in the middle of a fight between Spiderman and the Sinister Six, who were trying to steal an unidentified chemical from a Stark Industries lab. Tommy was accidentally doused with the chemical and then hit with a stray bolt of Electro's electrical powers, causing him to mutate. Feeling every nerve in his body on fire, Tommy tried to run from the fight, only to find himself moving at superhuman speed. He also realized he was filling up with electrical energy and he no longer hurt. Running back to the fight, he blasted a few members of the Six with his powers, allowing Spiderman to beat them. While he felt good that he had helped, Tommy realized that he was not the hero type started to simply use his powers to improve his courier job and help people here and there when he could.

Then came Stamford, the superhuman civil war, and Registration. Contacting his father for the first time in 4 years to tell him his situation and ask what to do, Tommy was advised that if he wanted to keep his abilities and use them as he had been, he would need to register, so he did. And now he just wants to get through Camp Hammond so that he can go back to his life.