Offline CoX Character Generator

Pattern Ghost

OK, removing the URL from the OP. Here's what NCSoft's support had to say. Just sent me an e-mail back today (6/11):

Hello,

For a variety of reasons, we do ask that the standalone character creator not be hosted or distributed. Among other things, it's quite out of date, and it wasn't intended for distribution in most territories. If you have the address of a website where it is available, I'd appreciate it if you could provide it so that we can take a look and request that it be removed if need be. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,

GM Peldor

City of Heroes Support Team

On the bright side, I was able to create another 14 day CoX trial account on my existing NC Soft master account. So, if you're a former CoXer, and just want to mess with the costume creator, the more up to date in game version is readily available.

Re: Offline CoX Character Generator

Ah yes. I remember the furor when this came out, right in the heels of Cryptic swearing up and down that providing that exact bit of functionality (i.e., a creator utuility separate from the full game) was impossible to develop. :doi:

IIRC, shortly after it was released and its existence revealed to the Western world, the company made the program disappear. Glad to see someone rescued it from obscurity.

Illegal software.

Generally pirated, cracked, hacked or otherwised compromised software. This specific case is, IIRC, a chunk of the program hacked out and made into something the creators did not intend to do.

PG beat me to it, but, yes, it was legal. It was released as a promo for their Korean version of the game (City of Hero).

Like I said, it caused a huge hullabaloo in the CoX forums when it was discovered and Cryptic quietly removed it from distribution, so I'm not surprised if the link is unreliable.

My old desktop still has a copy installed, although I have no idea if I still have the installer.

Well, the first hit on Google if you put in "City of Heroes character creator" is that page. If NC Soft doesn't want it up, they could have it removed. Not our job to enforce their copyright. And "illegal" is a bit strong of a word to use for a civil issue. I'm going to assume that if NC Soft hasn't taken steps to have the download taken off the site in question, they don't care too much about it.

EDIT: Removing site URL.

It's in VA, so not exactly hard for them to slap a DCMA on the guy hosting the file if they want to.

Edit: Apparently, NCSoft keeps gamers hours. I'll call them back at noon Central time and simply ask them if they care that this guy is distributing the freebie now.

Edit: Ok, I left my info with their tech support who is going to forward it to their legal department. So, when (if) they contact me back, I'll update the thread and let you all know if it's OK with NCSoft to use the file.