Narf's Fantasy Stuff

Narf the Mouse

Re: Narf's Fantasy Stuff

And today we have an expert swordsman who disdains the use of magic. Please give a big round of applause to

A Swordsman par excellence, Orson has focused on learning the blade and the honour of a swordsman to the exclusion of all else. In battle, he is deadly... ...But please, don't send him to negotiate with the Duke. They'll either get along like a house on fire...Or they'll get along like a house *On Fire*...

Orson is my attempt at a no-powers, no-magic, Standard Heroic combat character that can stand with the deadliest without fear. I'd like to think that I've managed...Especially if he can get into melee range...

My suggestion is to trim his martial arts back and spend the points elsewhere (fighting tricks, perhaps, or more raw speed). As it stands, he's a pretty expensive character, but not terribly effective (points wise) in combat. He's more or less helpless if blinded or grabbed, he's easily tripped, apart from with his greatsword he has a low CV (against an archer he might as well have a giant target painted on his forehead), etc. In general, combat ability starts to take a serious dive if you spend much more than 20 points on martial arts maneuvers and he's more than double the "way too many maneuvers" break point. I understand you want all those maneuvers for flavour, but it does hurt your attempt to build "a no-powers, no-magic, Standard Heroic combat character that can stand with the deadliest without fear". He dishes out a a heck of a lot of damage and could probably one-shot kill lots of characters, - but he has a max OCV of 10, and when he's doing that he has a DCV of 4, meaning even my current party's doddering old wizard can hit him on a 13 or less.

cheers, Mark

cheers, Mark

A scarred figure in a long, hooded cloak, Zabaras presents a fearsome appearance. His grim, harsh manner of speech and low tolerance for foolishness does little to help this impression; however, he is a dedicated champion of Good.

This is currently a rough draft; I'm looking for advice on polishing this character.

• 7 months later...

...*True Resurrection!*

I decided to make a character using a text file (Open Office). It was nowhere near as hard as I expected. It also brought more contact with the rulebooks than Hero Designer does, which I view as a good thing.

Alastar, Master Mage, is a character built using Normal Man Characteristic averages, not the normal "Athlete and a Scholar" averages. He'd spent most of his life studying books until his former master sent him on his journeyman training, aka, "These are the children of my old adventuring party. You're joining them. Get out of the tower before someone mistakes you for a vampire, kid." Although only barely a master mage at this point in time, he uses (and learned) his few spells wisely and cleverly. Although not over-fond of adventuring, he realizes he's gained practical knowledge about it - Why, he knew so little about the many things that could kill you and would probably try!

Alastar, Master Mage

Was just looking at the Absolute Effect stuff. Interesting concept, but I'm not sure about the pricing:

Absolute Attack: Seems fairly expensive, compared to AVAD.

Even when you factor Does BODY into the equation, AVAD is going to cost less to penetrate a larger range of defenses.

Absolute Defense: Is there any reason not to just get this?

Perfected Aether Field - Resistant Defense (1 PD, 1 ED), AED (three levels, vs everything; +9), 30 active points.

... and optionally, some normal, non-AED armor for backup?

Absolute Defense: That is a question. Got any answers? smile.gif
Maybe make AED a (large) adder instead of an advantage? Since 1/1 AED armor is as good as 20/20 AED armor in most cases (except with a matching AEA attack), then the value should be fairly close, not 1/20th the price.

Maybe make AED a (large) adder instead of an advantage? Since 1/1 AED armor is as good as 20/20 AED armor in most cases (except with a matching AEA attack)' date=' then the value should be fairly close, not 1/20th the price.[/quote']

So each AED level would be a +30 Adder? That works; thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I've realized I tend to write characters who are prodigies. Wonder why; maybe I just like them. Maybe I'm just on a prodigy-character kick. Another character made in Open Office (I'm starting to like making characters that way), using the "Normal Man" averages.

Don't ask me why he doesn't have armour, other than "didn't fit the character". *Shrug* Maybe the setting has guns and armour just makes you a slow, helpless target. (And could I get some flavour comments on the last character, too, plskthx?)

Brian, Swordsmaster

Minor point, but why is Reflexive Skill built with a Trigger?

Also, I believe you could save a few points by leaving the PS skills as 2/1 instead of based on Int.

On Alastar, I would make Spell Shield either more powerful (to use the entire pool) or slightly less powerful (39 or less active points, so you can use it simultaneously with other things).

Probably more powerful, because IIRC how Dispel works, this would only stop spells that were 9 AP or less, and have no effect otherwise.

It's interesting to see characters using the "Normal Man" parameters - definitely a different feel than standard Heroic!

Minor point, but why is Reflexive Skill built with a Trigger?

Also, I believe you could save a few points by leaving the PS skills as 2/1 instead of based on Int.

On Alastar, I would make Spell Shield either more powerful (to use the entire pool) or slightly less powerful (39 or less active points, so you can use it simultaneously with other things).

Probably more powerful, because IIRC how Dispel works, this would only stop spells that were 9 AP or less, and have no effect otherwise.

It's interesting to see characters using the "Normal Man" parameters - definitely a different feel than standard Heroic!

To represent that he can change those CSLs at any time, even in combat. For example - 4 CSLs in 2 DCs for a Strike, then immediately afterwards +4 DCV to defend against attacks. Someone then attacks before his phase; he dumps 2 CSLs in OCV and 2 CSLs into a DC for First Strike. Then it's back to DCVs again. And all before his next phase starts.

...Good catch. I knew I was forgetting something about them.

Yeah, Spell Shield needs fixing. I'm not sure how to, though.

One of the reasons I started making them that way - They feel more like Fantasy Hero characters and less like Superheroes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

And here we have Sarzallee, a nobleman of uncertain species (he didn't tell me), restless feet and deadly with a sword.[ATTACH=CONFIG]38239[/ATTACH]

He also uses an idea of mine for using Skills and Skill vs Skill rolls for combat in place of OCV and DCV (which is, in part, why I left his OCV and DCV alone). The attacker would provide the penalty to the defender's roll. His CSL could then be added to attack or defense roughly as normal (increasing an attack or defense roll).