Word of Law: Mind Control

digimod

Re: Word of Law: Mind Control

It might be arguable that 'criminal' is hard to define. Someone who has exceeded the speed limit has broken the law and is therefore a criminal. Anyone who drops litter might also fall into that category.

Equally someone might be doing something that is considered criminal but they think that they are right in doing it: perhaps freeing animals from a research lab.

Nothing wrong with doing it that way, but you will need to be clear as to what you mean.

Also, if this is a Superhero game (or really any setting with a strong moral compass) than you will most likely only be using the power on "criminals" anyway. I mean, you're a good guy, going after bad guys, 99% of whom have done something illegal and thus are criminals. Is this really that limiting? Then again, you're only asking for -1/2, so I guess it depends on your GM and the setting...

That is what I was thinking - that the GM would decide when it would work. Who it works on could be based on the moral and ethical nature of the persons actions. A case that it would not work with is the Robin Hood type character who feels empowered to break the law for the greater good. Another case that it might not work on is the person who is forced to steal from the bank he works for because the real criminal is holding his family hostage. Ghost Riders "Penance Stare" and some of the apparent powers of the Spectre are examples that manifest only on the criminal or "guilty" person.

I wanted the limitation not to make the power cheaper but to define the mystical nature of the power. I am contemplating removing the limitation - it might be too complicated or misconstrued as abuse and that was not my intent.

Also' date=' if this is a Superhero game (or really any setting with a strong moral compass) than you will most likely only be using the power on "criminals" anyway. I mean, you're a good guy, going after bad guys, 99% of whom have done something illegal and thus are criminals. Is this really [i']that[/i] limiting? Then again, you're only asking for -1/2, so I guess it depends on your GM and the setting...

That is what I was thinking - that the GM would decide when it would work. Who it works on could be based on the moral and ethical nature of the persons actions. A case that it would not work with is the Robin Hood type character who feels empowered to break the law for the greater good.

So Magneto is unaffected because he feels justified in his actions, the alien invaders are soldiers, not criminals, and the burglar feels justified because he got a raw deal out of life. Define it right and no one will be affected.

Another case that it might not work on is the person who is forced to steal from the bank he works for because the real criminal is holding his family hostage.

Alternatively, that person is affected fully (perhaps even extra) as he DOES feel he is committing a criminal act, despite being forced into it.

I'd list out some examples and discuss it with the GM Ultimately, if I were GMing, my simple answer would be the greater the limitation value you place on it, the fewer targets will be affected by it. -1/2 sounds reasonable, so it would be pretty uncommon for targets one would expect to be considered "criminals" to be unaffected.