Michael Hopcroft

I'm trying to come up with a concept for a heroic character and its nemesis. Both would be as much forces of nature as persons, and the force they represent is Chaos. The heroic character reflects the creative aspects of Chaos, the villain the destructive.

I have the story ideas in mind for them, but I am having a hard time thinking of the actual powers beyond Mental Defense vs telepathy (their minds are so chaotic that attempting to read them results in utter gibberish at best). I'm not sure whether they use superpowers to bring chaotic effects to the physical world or whether they, like the Joker, are super-normals with exceptionally chaotic minds and plans. (The Dark Knight version of the Joker is almost an elemental force of Chaos even without superpowers).

The villain may come up with plans that make sense only to him, and occasionally change them at random. The hero may come up with ways to defeat bad guys that seem wacky (Hitting a bad guy in the face with a coconut cream pie doesn't seem an effective attack unless the pie is laced with chloroform....) or he may be able to make connections no sane man could make ala Jim Morrison.

So, how to start with these characters? Perhaps are they twins?

Re: Avatars of Chaos

Sorry can't help ya. I'm afraid your being a bit too vauge. Your going to have to decide if they have powers or not, and wiether they just happened to become agents of chaos or were created.

Course that dosen't mean I can't talk about a few things.

They represent Chaos

Noting wrong with the sibblings thing. Have to respect a classic. But if your thinking they were born not created here are a few alternate ideas.

1. The man of order- An efficency expert or anyone else who is very regulated sees the force of Chaos which tells him he will become it's agent. He points out how orderly his life is and Chaos says thats why it chose him. After all he's the worst possible canidate. Powers would be along the line of 12d6 luck and unluck affects others.

"No I have no idea how the cow got covered in peanut butter, or flying through the air. Just be glad it landed on the bank robbers and not you. Uhm whats that noise?"

2. the careful what you wish for- After finally breaking away from the strict controlling parents the charecter revels in their new found freedom. Casting a spell they summon the force of chaos to ask for the power to give others this feeling of freedom. It agrees and tells him the same power has also been given to an evil bastard. "Why?" "I am Chaos incarnate. Why not?"

3. The sinister plot- Chaos has decided the age of reason has gone on long enough. It finds two people who hate each other and will stop at nothing to ruin each others lives. Tomorow the will be given equal yet oppisite powers to fight with. It's a small start but only a start.

And never underestimate the power of transform.

"Sargent what isn't our back up here yet?" "uhm sir the men report all our patrol cars are now strawberry gelitin."

Now for regular types with gadgets and things the villianous one is easy. Just a variant on the Joker. I do what I want when I want, and if you get hurt from my doing it can you make a funny face?

"You have 48 hours to give me 8 gallons of choclate ice cream, a pony, a gameplay 4, and 12 cents or I shoot your entire family."

The good guy is a tad harder.

1. The it's broke and I can't fix it- Society has gone to hell in a handbasket. The crazies are running the asylum. Why am I the only one who can see it. Why whenever I try to fix it, am I told I'm doing something wrong. For the most part he only tries to hurt criminals, but sometimes he just goes a little wacky.

"Sure it's legal for you to use the pension fund to go to Barbados, and it's not legal for me to throw this fire bomb into your house. How is this fair? Of course something happened. What just cause I say it's a fire bomb it is? You even believed it when you said you were honest didn't you?"

2. the Hedonist- I drink, smoke, overeat, and there are four women in my bed. Is it wrong, immoral, obscene? Who cares it's great. Here have some pot and relax. Do what you want, when you want, just don't hurt anybody doing it is there motto. The last part is the hard one to get through, but one day maybe they'll put enough crooks behind bars to get it.

Re: Avatars of Chaos

I'm trying to come up with a concept for a heroic character and its nemesis. Both would be as much forces of nature as persons, and the force they represent is Chaos. The heroic character reflects the creative aspects of Chaos, the villain the destructive.

I have the story ideas in mind for them, but I am having a hard time thinking of the actual powers beyond Mental Defense vs telepathy (their minds are so chaotic that attempting to read them results in utter gibberish at best). I'm not sure whether they use superpowers to bring chaotic effects to the physical world or whether they, like the Joker, are super-normals with exceptionally chaotic minds and plans. (The Dark Knight version of the Joker is almost an elemental force of Chaos even without superpowers).

The villain may come up with plans that make sense only to him, and occasionally change them at random. The hero may come up with ways to defeat bad guys that seem wacky (Hitting a bad guy in the face with a coconut cream pie doesn't seem an effective attack unless the pie is laced with chloroform....) or he may be able to make connections no sane man could make ala Jim Morrison.

So, how to start with these characters? Perhaps are they twins?

like the brothers hank and don hall the original hawk and the dove