Magic VPP question...

fbdaury

Ok, I had this idea for a character with a relatively large VPP that could only be changed outside combat because he needs to "etch" (read:lightly carve) mystic symbols into his body for the powers that he plans to use for that period of time. This would mean that while he has points allocated in his VPP, his base Body is reduced by 2 or 3 points as a side effect.

One of the main spells that he knows outside of the VPP is a spell of restoration- a healing spell that he can use to heal himself or others. However, if he heals himself or someone else heals him, he regains the 2/3 body from his VPP first and therefore is unable to use his abilities until he can etch new symbols into himself, requiring materials and tools he keeps in his base.

My question is this- how would you limit this effect, I've thought of three methods:

1)Large Dispel to VPP when healed (uncommon)

2)Physical limitation on the character

3)Accidental Change to non-VPP form when healed (Uncommon and Always)

Which of these methods wou.d you use if allowing this in your game or is there some other way that you would use to achieve the same effect? Thanks for any answers in advance.

Re: Magic VPP question...

Yes, NoThere is correct. You are over-thinking.

The actual limitation should be something along the line of 'Requires Runic Etching.' The Etching process would also probably require some kind of PS: Runic Etching. If you want, you could include that RSR in the Pool.

The simple fact here, is that the Etching removes points of BODY. When that BODY is healed, the etches go away. If the etches go away, the power is gone.

The rub here, is that healing will usually either effect the smallest or the oldest wounds first. Being that these etchings are most likely to be both, even 1 pip of healing begins to cost him powers. This is a pretty beefy Limitation. "Sure, you are at -2 BODY and we are about to fight the big mean cyber-ogre-space-pirate-monkey-ninja but if I heal you first you won't have any powers! So just try and not get hit." I would lean more towards the -1/2 than -1/4. Of course, that depends a lot on how frequent people in your campaign take BODY.

Oh and BTW, I tend to lean towards the moderately self destructive Achilles heel type power constructs myself. KUDOS!