The Fall of Vault 88

Jkeown

So, it's my birthday, and we're playing whatever I want.

I want to play Fallout HERO. I've created 3 package deals: Admin, Security and Maintenance. This means 2 of my players will likely be the same branch. No big deal.

The scenario is that vault-dwellers are starting to go missing. A few "random" encounters with crazed folks turns into more frequent encounters with actual ghouls. They must be getting in somehow. Players search for the breach in the vault. There is no such breach. The ghouls are the missing vault dwellers, of course.

Long story short: Just as the ghoul population tips over and most everyone but the PCs are either mad, dead, dying or turned, the timer goes off and the door opens to the outside. Thus perhaps begins a long campaign of Fallout.

Any ideas on spicing this up? Especially from those who've never played Fallout?

Re: The Fall of Vault 88

Since you're looking for non-Fallout-y spice how about this

You've got a long opening about the Ghoulification of the Vault; then the door opens onto the world - this world just a few decades in the future - A nuclear scare triggered some vault activations in the 50's - there was an actual incident - panic, confusion and the large body count meant that this Vault's original occupants were presumed dead and the sealed 'defunct' vault is now the center piece of a monument honoring the fallen. The timed opening is actually the Vault being cracked open on the Centenial memorial in preperation of it being converted into a museum/resort.

So now the players manage to exit into a whole new world that's suddenly being exposed to whatever virus is creating the Ghouls...