Breaking News! 6e exposes 5e min-maxing!

Bismark

This is of course stating the blindingly obvious, but here we go ;)

Just started converting one of my old 5e Fantasy HERO characters to 6e - specifically, a Rolemaster-style sorcerer from my Shadow World game a couple of years back.

Having just finished the characteristics and the CVs I noticed that 'grandfathering' this character is going to take a lot of points - rather more than the suggested point increase from 5e to 6e characters.

It is 54 points more(!) and counting - and I have not even factored in the increased cost of the guy's magical Focus + supplementary Mana/END Reserve (which has got 7 points more expensive with the removal of the Independent Limitation).

It appears that I min-maxed every single characteristic (STR 20, DEX 18 etc...) on this character (and even bought down some STUN I did not consider essential to add the proverbial 'cherry on top').

I shudder to think what the assassin dude will cost now. He was SPD 4 and - of course - DEX 23 (with the plethora of DEX-based Skills he had, plus the high SPD, it was simply not cost-effective to have less DEX).

This has been a wake-up call; I can no longer optimise characters 'in my sleep'; I'm feeling quite inadequate now :D

Re: Breaking News! 6e exposes 5e min-maxing!

It sounds like your "min-maxing" also included a heaping helping of cheese. I mean buying Independent on your End Reserve? That's real pungent cheese' date=' since Independent was designed for the creation of Magic Items in a normals game.[/quote']

Just started converting one of my old 5e Fantasy HERO characters to 6e - specifically' date=' a [i']Rolemaster[/i]-style sorcerer from my Shadow World game a couple of years back.

Emphasis is mine, but he did say it was a Fantasy HERO character.

Emphasis is mine' date=' but he did say it was a Fantasy HERO character.[/quote']

Wasn't paying that attention. It was a magic item that had independent. Which is totally appropriate :D

Whoops!

Tasha

The item in question was a supplementary END Reserve which doubled as his weapon - it was a Kopis/Falcata-type sword, which also had enhanced damage and armour-penetrating capability so the guy would have a decent weapon.

The character's main END reserve was not Independent - in fact it was not even in a Focus, it was just a bog-standard 'built-in' END Reserve to power his Essence magic Multipower.

[There was a bit of cheese in there though - but it wasn't HERO System cheese so much as Rolemaster conversion cheese - normally Rolemaster Essence Magic requires the caster to have both hands free for the Gestures, but this is waived if the character has a magic-boosting item in his/her hand - and if that item happens to be a handy weapon, well, that comes in very handy in combat situations :whistle:]

[There was a bit of cheese in there though - but it wasn't HERO System cheese so much as Rolemaster conversion cheese - normally Rolemaster Essence Magic requires the caster to have both hands free for the Gestures' date=' but this is waived if the character has a magic-boosting item in his/her hand - and if that item happens to be a handy weapon, well, that comes in very handy in combat situations :whistle:']

Ah. In Hero I'd just call that Gestures that requires only one hand, plus an additional -0 Limitation. Heh.

Guest steamteck

I would put it more like "Characteristic-based characters will take the biggest hit." It seems that Powers either stayed the same or' date=' in some cases (e.g. [i']Area of Effect[/i] most of the time) got cheaper.

Sounds about right to me.