How invisible is Bard Song?

Naanomi

Re: How invisible is Bard Song?

So what I'm saying is, you have to decide then build what you want - there is no 'right' answer. Different songs could easily be built in different ways.

Oh, I totally agree. I was just looking for a good model for the 'traditional' pre-3.x DnD bard-song. In-obvious fits the bill by and large.

Oh' date=' I totally agree. I was just looking for a good model for the 'traditional' pre-3.x DnD bard-song. In-obvious fits the bill by and large.[/quote']

As, I believe, G-A mentioned, I'm not sure there is that much 'translation': we just didn't worry about 'visibility' in pre3DnD :) It was probably situational: if we HAD thought about it, and thought it had mattered, it would probably have been sorted with a Performance roll, with a penalty for how subtle you wanted to be. Did pre3DnD have Performance skill?

You could certainly do it with Hero. You could build it with IPE as a naked advantage for all your songs, based on a skill roll. So they are normally obvious, but the skilled bard can create the effect without anyone noticing. Howzat?

Of course you can not hide negative adjustments in Hero: the target of a negative effect knows they are the target of a negative effect, and there is noting you can do about it. I'll be addressing IPE in a future episode of THE MINISTRY OF STUPID IDEAS PRESENTS...

We used skills in 2nd Edition AD&D all the time, just not in combination with powers. Skills were their own thing, and you never ran into a special ability or spell that required they be rolled. I guess how much the skills (okay, "non-weapon proficiencies") were used depended a great deal on your group, but we used them a lot.

We used skills in 2nd Edition AD&D all the time' date=' just not in combination with powers. Skills were their own thing, and you never ran into a special ability or spell that required they be rolled. I guess how much the skills (okay, "non-weapon proficiencies") were used depended a great deal on your group, but we used them a lot.[/quote']

We used non-weapon Prof.'s too. In every character we made. I pretty much agree with the above. From my group as a kid, and my military buddies (of course, we're talking 2nd ed) that's 31 folks at least, not much, but I'm sure it represents something, almost all of the rp in southwestern Ohio (Miami U had a gaming club, 102 members and I never heard of anyone not using non-weapon profs), and all the rp in the military with folks from Panama, California, Arizona, Columbia, 2 from Ohio, and 2 from West Virgina. And this is the first I've heard of not using non-weapon profs in anything but a quick pickup game that would be known to be only one game long. Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but it's something.