HERO Basic Rulesbook : Superhero caract bracket

IKerensky

Hello,

some interrogations about the stats bracket suggested for a super hero campaign:

1- The PD/ED are suggested to be in the 20-25 range wich is a lot more than the bracket suggested in Champion 5th Edition. Normal or too much ?

2- Did CV suggestion take skills and power into account or just raw OCV and DCV ?

2- There is no suggestion for END, STUN, BODY and REC... some kind of bracket could really help first timer here...

Thanks...

Re: HERO Basic Rulesbook : Superhero caract bracket

1. The suggested number for PD/ED in 5E & Champions 5th is 20. I wouldn't call that a lot more. And it's a good range.

2. Generally that takes into account total CV (Characteristic, Skills, Maneuvers). I wouldn't worry as much about actual numbers as your campaign CV spread. If everyone is with 2-3 CVs of each other the hard numbers matter less.

3. I would file Body with the Characteristic Spread (10-40); Stun, End, Rec are all pretty open IMO. Endurance should be enough to let a Superhero go a full Turn before needing to worry or manage it much. Stun, figured the average attack versus the average defense and how many hits you think you should take before going down (or as much as you can afford). Recovery is another one I might file under the Characteristic Spread for a Superhero campaign, perhaps a little lower, or as much as you can afford.

1. The suggested number for PD/ED in 5E & Champions 5th is 20. I wouldn't call that a lot more. And it's a good range.

Well the table p126 of Champions says : Low Powered : 12, Standard : 20, High Powered : 25.

That is why I found it a bit high, since at 400pts Champions was suggesting a 20 top... I suppose 5 pts isn't a big deal after all but I will need to take attention to what height I put the powers DC...

BTW, is it 20-25 without power and gear or with it ?

The Characteristic scores are going to vary a lot depending on the type of character you have. An Energy Projector type that stays at range and has a good force field might only have 30 STN, but a brick that expects to suck up a lot of damage could have 70 STN. Part of that is going to hinge on what the character's DCV is and how often they expect to get hit.

Although I was not initially happy with the idea of removing Figured Characteristics from the game, now that I am toying with it I find that it really allows a lot more freedom in designing characters exactly the way you want them. Conceptually your Energy Projector character should not have a 20 STR since he isn't an olympic weightlifter, but with Figured Characteristics it was so cost effective that you almost couldn't afford not to. So what I am really saying here is build for character concept. Determine "average" damage and figure out how many shots it you think it should take to KO the character. Then set STN and defenses as needed. Figure how energy hungry your hero is to set END and REC.

Finally, as Ghost Angel says, if everyone has similar ranges for CV (and to a lesser extent defenses) then the exact numbers won't make too much difference because everyone will be on the same level roughly. You can tweak it later as you get a feel for it.