How to Build This: Voodoo Defense

TheChainTyrant

Hello. I have my own thoughts about this, but I wanted to see what you guys think. If any of you are familiar with the show One Piece, my initial inspiration came from the character Basil Hawkins. His ability goes something like this. If an attack were to do bodily harm to him, then that harm would be redirected to another person via a voodoo doll. If an attack were damaging enough to kill the target, then the doll would be destroyed as well. He is known to carry upwards of 10 of these with him, and possibly much more when he is prepared. The nature and magnitude of the attack is irrelevant, the only limit to his defense is the number of dolls on his person. These dolls were all connected to human extras, and he has not been seen using this ability offensively. That is, connecting a doll to an enemy and using the transfered attacks against him.

My thoughts were something centering around a triggered desolidification with charges and appropriate limitations. I'm not sure how to model the advantage where if the attack is not enough to kill the connected human, then the charge is not used; that the charge is only used up if the attack could kill (20 BODY damage) or incapacitate the voodoo doll's target. The desolidification should only last for one segment, so perhaps the instant (-1/2) limitation? It should be able to apply to all attacks made against the character in a segment, like autofire, sweep, and coordinated attacks. Note that this power would in no way protect against non-lethal attacks, like flash (unless that flash did BODY or Stun).

Is desolidification a good way to go for building this? Any other thoughts or considerations I'm not taking into account? I'm still trying to get used to 6e, so please bear with me if there's something I missed. Thanks!

Re: How to Build This: Voodoo Defense

I'd be slightly wary of this ability in game as it looks very much like invulnerability to me. The various 'invulnerability' threads are probably a good place to look. Desolid works as a way of avoiding all damage - so long as the attack does not affect desolid.

The human proxies might be built as a form of focus.

I'd be slightly wary of this ability in game as it looks very much like invulnerability to me. The various 'invulnerability' threads are probably a good place to look. Desolid works as a way of avoiding all damage - so long as the attack does not affect desolid.

The human proxies might be built as a form of focus.

As this was inspired by an anime character, yes, this ability may seem a little over the top. My aim here is not to build invulnerability. It is to pair the fluff with the best mechanics I can. The character itself has very little in terms of resistant defenses, and this power isn't meant to be paired with any other significant defensive ability (aside from a decent DCV). If he takes a bullet or is run through with a sword, then his proxies take the blow and the doll drops out of his body. Once those are gone he's as vulnerable as any other heroic mortal.

For balance concerns I've chosen to make the charges useful only against a single attack that does BODY, rather than lasting the entire segment. An autofire attack that hits five times, then, would use up five charges. The defense does not activate against attacks that do STUN only. Taking a focus limitation really wouldn't be limiting, since the proxies are just random extras off-screen. His power is very obvious in its function though, so I added the perceivable limitation.

Here's a more concrete version of what I've been thinking of:

Voodoo Martyr Protection: Desolidification, 12 Recoverable Charges (+1/4) (50 Active Points), Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2), Only To Protect Against Attacks That Do BODY Damage (-1/2), Perceivable (-1/4). Total Cost: 22 points

Does this seem like an accurate representation? Since the charges advantage makes the power instant, should I include an advantage like trigger or uncontrolled? Could this be better done through the use of another base power? Thanks for the input.

Seems like a plan :) I do not know the character but I would assume that this is not a power that needs 'activation' - if the character is shot in the back they still get the benefit - so you might need trigger. Not lasting a whole phase is accomplished by making the power 'instant'.

The trigger could specify (for example) 'any attack that exceeds defences', so if you get slapped and it does not exceed your PD then it will not use a charge, but if you just specify 'attacks that do Body' you could be affected by a whole range of attacks that don't (did you mean 'attacks that CAN do Body' or 'attacks that do Body through defences'?)

Either way, here is a slight modification of the build, including extra time to activate which represents the preparation of the dolls.

Neither of us have addressed the proxies: that could well just be sfx, but there are, of course, serious moral implications for letting someone take a bullet for you.

Voodoo Defence: 90 Active, 30 Real

Desolidification , 12 Recoverable Charges (+1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1) (90 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, Only to Activate, -3/4), Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2), Instant (-1/2), Perceivable (-1/4)

Reflection, that is good enough to 'always' reflect attacks, with the (very large) limitation that they must be directed at pre-determined allies? What is the range on these dolls, are the mooks always in the area, or are they on the other side of the world and drop dead?

Reflection' date=' that is good enough to 'always' reflect attacks, with the (very large) limitation that they must be directed at pre-determined allies? What is the range on these dolls, are the mooks always in the area, or are they on the other side of the world and drop dead?[/quote']

I thought of Reflection, but it doesn't work on HTH stuff right?

The human lives bound to these dolls can be just any mook on the street. They are not allied in any way. Keeping in theme though, this character is a fortune-teller as well, and only binds people if he sees the shadow of death looming over them. If they're fated to live a short life, he might as well make use of that knowledge right?

he has not been seen using this ability offensively. That is, connecting a doll to an enemy and using the transfered attacks against him.

What? This isn't something he does to enemies - this is how he treats his friends?!??

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks I need a nap

This reminds me of a Naruto character with similar SFX but who did use it offensively. He had a full phase gestures power that required his target's blood to work. If he had the blood (usually on his weapon) & completed the ritual then any further damage (from any source) he took would be directed to the person the blood came from. It was played up as a spiritual/mystic type power.

Usually, after the ritual was complete he would immediately stab himself in the chest killing his target.

As for buying it?

I kind of like the reflection take on this. Lots of skill levels & a GM handwave on the HTH part.

Or we can break out 6th edition and buy:

- Damage Negation up past the campaign damage limits, only after ritual is completed.

- A NND Does Body 0End attack & a NND Blast, both with Variable Special Effects that mimic the attack the character got hurt with, only up to the amount of damage that would have hit the character. Both of these attacks are bought with a trigger that goes off & hits the target of the ritual when an attack is negated by the Damage Negation

- LOTS of CSLs so your triggered attack doesn't miss.

This is of course rediculously expensive, but the ability to make other people take damage instead of you should be. You are unhurt-able while it lasts.

(As an aside, in the Naruto Anime the character with this power was beaten by an elaborate switcharoo that tricked him into using his partner's blood instead of his intended target's. Then when he was "Killed" his partner died instead & then he was offed before he could perform the ritual again)