Expanding the Root manuever

Ninja-Bear

For awhile I've been looking out how to have a counter manuever for the throw moves. I know that you can use breakfall, acrobatics, and the clinging power to counter throws, but they didn't seem right, because they are not "martial manuevers" per se. I've even considered creating a new set of manuevers. The other night, I was playing around with a pakua character, when I noticed the root manuever. What I found is interesting.

A) The shove manuever has a counter manuever, which throws do not. Which I find odd because, you'll find throws more often than shoves, at least in my experience.

B) The Root manuever works similar to the use of clinging, they both have a str contest. The exception, is the root manuever has the block element attachted, where clinging doesn't. Frankly I don't like the block element added to it.

C) The cost is about the same. Consider:

Judomaster: Clinging (10 pts.) only vs throws (-1) real 5pts

*Note I would allow someone to abort to this power

Judomaster: Root -ocv -dcv STR +15 to resist Shoves (Throws) Block,

Abort

Anyways I'd thought I'd bring this up for discussion.

All comments are welcomed. :)

Re: Expanding the Root manuever

A) Im fond of Root and Shove and tend to use them on my characters pretty frequently.

B) A Counter-Throw is a fantastic idea. "Target Falls" is one of the few items in the system that just happens. However, you can already abort to a Block vs such a maneuver which accomplishes the same thing.

To make a version of Block that only worked vs Target Falls and / or Throws specifically, you'll need to make it better than Block in some way.

An approach I've taken in the past is DCV levels specifically against Target Falls...heres a character I can think of off hand that has it...

http://www.killershrike.com/SanDora/Characters/PCs/Redux/Saemund/Saemund%20Magnussun.HTML

5) Cannot Be Toppled: +3 with DCV [vs Target Falls]; Only vs. "Target Falls" Maneuvers (-1)

However, a Maneuver based option that worked within the custom maneuver rules would be cool too.

I think the Block approach works best. However, since Block is an OCV vs OCV maneuver, a bonus to OCV rather than DCV might work better.

A Power-based variant might be to simply buy enough Density Increase to make the character difficult/impossible to throw. Density Increase 6 levels Only to resist Throws -2

I think the Block approach works best. However, since Block is an OCV vs OCV maneuver, a bonus to OCV rather than DCV might work better.

A Power-based variant might be to simply buy enough Density Increase to make the character difficult/impossible to throw. Density Increase 6 levels Only to resist Throws -2

This is fine except, what I am looking at is making it a martial manuever -not just a power that works as a skill. :) And as I said, isn't interesting that shove has a counter move, but throw doesn't ? Now I can be wrong, but I always viewd shove as a horizontal throw. Also by making it a manuever it keeps everthing together.

Bear with me. Another use of the root could be used for resisting disarm techinque. Consider that Steve has mentioned that you could possibly use the disarm manuever bonus to resist being disarmed. (I'll have to look up the specific reference.) If you use the root manuever mechanics, as a resist disarm technique, this would accomplish the same thing, plus it will help distingush character better.