Normal rolling (6E)

Crypt

This thread is somewhat linked to the one about unifying three attack powers but here i prefer to focus on a precise and independant question :

Let's say i want to use the rolling mecanism of normal damages (total=stun; 'pips'=body) even with Killing attacks.

Knowing that, on average:

normal method = 1.5 times more STUN than with the killing method.

killing method = 1.17 times more BODY than with the normal method.

What would you do in order to make sure the game keeps his balance ?

In your opinion what would be the value of the advantage of using the 'normal' method instead of the 'killing' one ? +1/4 ?

Note: I don't speak about the way Killing damages work against defenses. I only speak about the rolling method.

Re: Normal rolling (6E)

This thread is somewhat linked to the one about unifying three attack powers but here i prefer to focus on a precise and independant question :

Let's say i want to use the rolling mecanism of normal damages (total=stun; 'pips'=body) even with Killing attacks.

Knowing that, on average:

normal method = 1.5 times more STUN than with the killing method.

killing method = 1.17 times more BODY than with the normal method.

What would you do in order to make sure the game keeps his balance ?

Assuming you refer to the altered STUN multiplier of 1d3 in 6E, it's easy enough:

1) Roll damage

2) Count total for Killing damage

3) Count BODY for STUN damage, adding +1 per die used (this gives the multiplier for each individual die).

4) Multiply by number rolled per individual die, count total for STUN total.

This results in the same average STUN multiplier as in 6E (x2) with the same range (1-3) but very much more statistically averaged.

Pros: Extra die roll eliminated; reduced randomness in STUN inflicted

Cons: Extra multiplication required, STUN inflicted directly dependent on effect of Killing damage

Pro/Con: Reduced volatility may be preferred or the opposite depending on GM

Isn't it simpler to say that using the normal rolling method with the Killing Attack power is an advantage ?

EDIT:

In the other hand Body (1pt/+1) costs twice as much as Stun (1 pt/+2) thus the ratio is 1.5/(1.17X1.17)=1.09.

From this point of view both methods seem to be equivalent.

But by taking CON cost into account the ratio falls in favor of the normal rolling (1.3 times more effective than the killing one. Note that i only speak about the rolling methods, not the way defenses react to damage.)

I have to reformulate my question:

(Let's say i don't unify HTH,Blast and KA, that's another story)

In your opinion, if i use the normal rolling method (face=Stun, 'pips'=Body) with the KA power do you think i should change the KA cost ?

Something I've recommended before is to roll normally for killing attacks, but let both 5's and 6's count as 2 BODY, and subtract 1 from the regular pips of each die for the STUN. But that was for 5e. With the new, lower STUNx in 6e, I'd recommend subtracting 2 from each die (still with a minimum of 1). Or for a slightly more complicated method, count the "Non-BODY pips" as STUN, thus:

Die Roll: 1 2 3 4 5 6

BODY: - 0 1 1 1 2 2

STUN: - 1 1 2 3 3 4

Yes, that last 4 should really be a 3 to keep the average the same, but it seemed so elegant to let each die face have its STUN and BODY pips depicted. You could take dice with, say, white pips, and color some of the pips red: 1 each on the 2, 3, and 4 faces, and 2 on the 5 and 6 faces. Then when rolling killing damage, the Red pips are BODY, and the White pips are STUN.

In fact, you could color one of the pips on the 5 side orange (instead of red) or something to remind you when you use the dice as normal attack dice. And if you like, you can color one of the white pips on the 6 side gray (instead of white) or something. Thus:

Normal: BODY = Red pips, STUN = Total pips

Killing: BODY = Red & Orange pips, STUN = White Pips

No other calculations to do! Just counting! (Until someone wants to use hit locations or increased STUNx, or Damage Reduction)

Dang! I think this is a good idea, if I do say so myself. I'm going to mark me up a set of custom dice this way!

And if you like' date=' you can color one of the white pips on the 6 side gray (instead of white) or something.[/quote']

Upon doing some further calculation, ignore this line about the gray pip. The 1 1 2 3 3 4 white pips gives the exactly correct average of STUN damage that you'd get using the standard KA method (BODY on dice, and STUN multiple). Coloring one pip gray reduces the STUN even further than it already has been in 6E.