(5th Ed) Grenade Arsenal

Marcus Impudite

Re: (5th Ed) Grenade Arsenal

Partial transform is a good idea BUT it specifically can have NO game effect until the transform is completed so you can say that it means you have paint on the target but it can not make them harder to spot.

Which seems odd.

Anyway - another point - is multipower the appropriate build for a bunch of items that logically COULD be used simultaneously?

It is not double dipping as it is clearly allowed by the rules: I only have FRED with me but if you look under MPs at the Armadillo Armour it has OIF on the pool and all slots.

The bigger problem here - despite official rulings - is the 'charges' limitation IMO: you are getting a power with 42 charges (albeit 6x7 charges). Normally that would be an advantage of +1/2, but because it is spread over teh slots you actually get a cost break on it. That seems wrong to me.

Another point that occurs is this: whilst a MP is the most efficient way to built this sort of thing, I'm not sure it makes a lot of 'game world sense' - why can you not chuck a couple of grenades together, or give grenades to your friends to use?

I'd probably want to know what it is about these grenades that mean that only the owner can use them and then only one at a time. But then I'm a grouch.

Yeah, I would be tempted to say for balance's sake that the player must put UBO on any grenades he wanted to hand around, but the rules allow for universal foci, so.... That could be a big problem for the GM, and I personally would have the grenades used against the player every once in a while to even that out. Having one PC who is able to hand every other character the solution to their problems all the time would make for a hard balancing act.

I also hate that same aspect of multipower. I was building an archer character, and I was trying to figure out a way to make him fire more than one arrow at a time. I thought it was silly to buy two or three multipowers with the same basic slots to allow for multiple power attacks, which seems to be the way the rules would have it. I ended up weakening the attacks in several slots and putting on an Autofire advantage to keeep the active points consitent, which is not really the same thing as being able to use more than one slot together.

As far as Armadillo and OIF is concerned, I see what you are saying. I just don't see the logic in the rule as written. However, I will sit down with FRED before I attempt to hold forth anymore on that point.

Yeah, I would be tempted to say for balance's sake that the player must put UBO on any grenades he wanted to hand around, but the rules allow for universal foci, so.... That could be a big problem for the GM, and I personally would have the grenades used against the player every once in a while to even that out. Having one PC who is able to hand every other character the solution to their problems all the time would make for a hard balancing act.

I also hate that same aspect of multipower. I was building an archer character, and I was trying to figure out a way to make him fire more than one arrow at a time. I thought it was silly to buy two or three multipowers with the same basic slots to allow for multiple power attacks, which seems to be the way the rules would have it. I ended up weakening the attacks in several slots and putting on an Autofire advantage to keeep the active points consitent, which is not really the same thing as being able to use more than one slot together.

As far as Armadillo and OIF is concerned, I see what you are saying. I just don't see the logic in the rule as written. However, I will sit down with FRED before I attempt to hold forth anymore on that point.

If the rules were unequivocal and straightforward, we'd have nothing to do all day when we are supposed to be working :)

Partial transform is a good idea BUT it specifically can have NO game effect until the transform is completed

Actually, Partial Transformation *does* allow for changes to take place before the full body is rolled... but not for Cosmetic Transformations. Transforming someone into someone who cannot stealth is probably a Minor transformation in any case, not just a Cosmetic one... which means Partial Transformation would have a small benefit (paid for with, as always, less dice)