Divine Magic System: Incarnism

Killer Shrike

Re: Divine Magic System: Incarnism

Killer Shrike is being overly generous. I think I might have made all of one comment on the development of this system. The work is 99% that of Killer Shrike and 5lippers.

And it is a really nice and very simple system that could be loads of fun to play.

Ill definitely give it a try. Im working on Divine magic myself so I'd love to check this out!

I like it but why does it have the limitation Always On? Isn't Multiform Persistent already?

It also has Inherent so that it can't be dispelled or boosted; Always On and Inherent go together like peas and carrots, to quote the esteemed Mr. Gump. At least in 5e.

An example character might be illuminating

Sure would! Maybe 5lippers will provide one once he has his Luuzian details sorted out; Incarnism was created to support his effort in that area.

In the meantime if someone wanted to take a swag at defining a group of higher powers and some packages, we'd be happy to host em.

Sure would! Maybe 5lippers will provide one once he has his Luuzian details sorted out; Incarnism was created to support his effort in that area.

In the meantime if someone wanted to take a swag at defining a group of higher powers and some packages, we'd be happy to host em.

I've been looking at those Incarnations of Luuz with an eye to how they might be defined. I've gone back several times hoping that inspiration would strike. I fear however that they are an extraordinarily complex set of avatars that do not lend themselves easily to my muse. I am hoping the 5lippers has been, while he was writing them, giving thought to how those incarnations might manifest. I doubt I could do them justice myself.

Hmm' date=' this has potential, I may well be able to adapt this to Erythnul priests for [i']Grey Hero[/i] purposes -- Human, Gnoll, Bugbear, Ogre, and Troll forms should be simple enough to do. Thanks!

Erythnul the many, one of my favorite fictional deities.

I conflated several gods as aspects of Erythnul in my Greyhawk and GreyHERO campaigns; most memorably Hruggek.

Good times.

hey' date=' good idea! Throw in Yeenoghu and Vaprak along with Hruggek as aspects of Erythnul and you've got a lot of big uglies covered![/quote']

I had a nice little list compiled, but I'd have to hunt for it. I'm embarrassed to realize I no longer remember all the names. I think Yeenoghu was one of them actually. Vaprak doesn't ring any bells.

I basically ran with all the forms Erythnul can assume as a starting point.

Erythnul (The Many)

Erythnul is the Power of capricious malice, envy, hatred, and fearful panic. His worshipers include many humanoids, for Erythnul smiles on fickle, wicked deeds from them as much as from humans. Erythnul delights in the fear, rout, and terror of battlefields, and is himself depicted terrifyingly as a seven-foot brute, hairy and red-faced, with mad, staring green eyes. He can change from human to gnoll to bugbear to ogre to troll at will, and he carries a huge stone-headed mace. He is a summoner of creatures of battle, and if wounded, monsters spring from his blood.

Erythnul is worshipped by evil, embittered, cruel creatures. Services to him include playing of shrill and discordant reed instruments, the banging of gongs, and ritual drumming. Major rites include burnt offerings. Humanoids of the Bone March and the Pomarj include many devotees of Erythnul, as do evilly-inclined bands of bandits and brigands around the Flanaess.

Erythnul's Priests

Erythnul's priests include many gnolls, bugbears, and ogres. There is no fixed hierarchy, and a junior may demonstrate his fitness to boss his fellows by dispatching an older priest (envy is a virtue, after all). The priests are bullies -- hateful backstabbers and wanton killers -- acting on evil impulse and reveling in bloodshed.

One of the things I did with Erythnul that people liked was, I played up his schizoid nature and had various cults of Erythnul opposed to each other, allied to each other, cooperatively uncooperative, uncooperatively cooperative, violently in denial that they even worshiped the same god, and so forth.

Also, a big plot point in my final big ass Greyhawk campaign revealed that Erythnul started off as an avatar of Tharizdun spawned a millenia or so ago for the purpose of freeing the Big T from his prison. He became independent and went rogue, of course.

I've been looking at those Incarnations of Luuz with an eye to how they might be defined. I've gone back several times hoping that inspiration would strike. I fear however that they are an extraordinarily complex set of avatars that do not lend themselves easily to my muse. I am hoping the 5lippers has been' date=' while he was writing them, giving thought to how those incarnations might manifest. I doubt I could do them justice myself.[/quote']

Hi All,

Yep, i'm happy to have a crack at this - i probably won't do the whole suite of Luuz's incarantions to begin with; just a couple and a base character and to how things pan out!

Hmm' date=' this has potential, I may well be able to adapt this to Erythnul priests for [i']Grey Hero[/i] purposes -- Human, Gnoll, Bugbear, Ogre, and Troll forms should be simple enough to do. Thanks!

Hi Hierax,

Once i've got a basic charcter and forms sorted out i'll make sure you get a copy.

Ill type up the character sheet and post soon enough. On limited internet sadly. But it was a character based on some therugy I am making for a fantasy setting. He can become an aspect of different gods and goddesses by invoking them from a different symbol for each god. Like one god's symbol is a wheat chaff, so my character could invoke the incarnate and become this avatar by using a blessed wheat chaff.

Played a quick adventure with him and a party vs some demons and a demon sergeant. Was very fun for everyone :)

Ill type up the character sheet and post soon enough. On limited internet sadly. But it was a character based on some therugy I am making for a fantasy setting. He can become an aspect of different gods and goddesses by invoking them from a different symbol for each god. Like one god's symbol is a wheat chaff, so my character could invoke the incarnate and become this avatar by using a blessed wheat chaff.

Played a quick adventure with him and a party vs some demons and a demon sergeant. Was very fun for everyone :)

Awesome. I love hearing feedback from the trenches like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I’ve started work on an example Incarnate to help people understand the system. Rhea (the character) is built for Esoterica but doesn’t use any of the specific package deals for the setting. She should be pretty portable but you might need to tweak some of the knowledge skills.

Currently Rhea only has two forms: her true form and an alternate form where she becomes a vessel of Toki, a trickster aspect of the God Luuz.

I need to go back and tweak the Hero Designer files as I added some flavour text as I was going along – I’ll get the files up as soon as possible.

Link to page: http://www.killershrike.info/GeneralCharacterExampleRhea.ashx

Enjoy!