Working Notes for my Campaign Conversion to 6E

Rapier

• 5 weeks later...

Re: Working Notes for my Campaign Conversion to 6E

Ok. We've talked it over and look to be heading towards Heroic and dropping a serious number of points from each character.

I tend to prefer heroic vs superheroic, but mostly because over the years I've found that superheroic tends more towards two-dimensional characters. SuperHeroic tends to having characters stand in front of each other and slug it out. Heroic tends to have characters that spend a lot more time worried about dodging, blocking and using teamwork and the environment, because that is how you survive.

Superheroes also tend to handle larger threats. A kidnapped little girl isn't exactly going to be on your list of things to do today, since you've got to go save the entire city. I think that heroic level storylines tend to have a more direct impact on the average citizen and tend towards a more satisfying result because it is easier to conceptually understand the impact of what you've accomplished.

I've always thought Heroic was more interesting from an RPG stand point.

That seems to be the consensus. So the plan is to wipe all the XP and drop the characters into about the 150 pt range. We might call it a brainwashing or coma or an evil spell gone awry or maybe we will ignore how it happened, but somehow that is what is going to happen. I'm going to urge all characters to have at least some martial arts or an inborn attack. It is very exciting and I can't wait to see how the characters turn out!

• 3 months later...

Well, the characters are all 200pts (w/ 50pts in Complications).

One of the things we ran into was that it was causing lots of stress for the players to create their characters. It's hard to lose points on a character you've settled into, and lowering the general power level was difficult because it was hard for them to place their characters within a power level framework. So I dug in and converted all the characters. I sent them off to the players this morning to look over. My goal in character design was, with very little exception, to be within normal human range. The chart on Characteristic Comparison (6E1, p48) has been invaluable. I was aiming to have the characters fall somewhere between Average and Competent (depending on concept), keeping in mind at the higher end of Competent that 20 is max human.

A fair number of the characters have Regen, but Healing is always a concern. I think I've struck a balance with DEF, CON and STUN to keep them effective without allowing them to laugh off bullets. Of course, the proof (as always) is in the pudding.

We still haven't decided if we are going to use Partial Defenses. I would like to at least give it a try, but allowing called shots (which is part and parcel with hit locations) can easily run into problems. PSLs for Hit Locations are very, very cheap and OH so effective. An old game-mate is running a game where he's ruled that every 3 Hit Location PSLs requires a half-phase action to use. A head shot is 2 full phases of actions, which makes the amount of damage even out pretty well. There is also that fear of 'eek, sorry about that HEAD SHOT, that's gotta sting.' This will also reflect the amount of STUN they take since 6E uses 1/2d6 as a STUNx and the Hit Location chart has it spread over the 5E 1d6-1.

We are doing a bit of tweaking here and there, but it's looking pretty good. We're not sure exactly when we are going to wind up with our current game, but it will most likely be within the next couple of weeks. My goal is to be ready for at least a combat run-through on 27 May.

I'll be posting the characters once we've got the bugs ironed out.

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta say, reading this thread has actually clarified more of what we're trying to do with this game. I've been busy painting my house and some miniatures this weekend, but today I'm by myself with a day off. I'll finally get to playing with Father Martin more today and get it sent to you. =) Nice thread. Before and after sheets might be good. I find RTF format makes it easiest to post.