Working Notes for my Campaign Conversion to 6E

Rapier

I thought I would keep a log as I convert my campaign from FREd to 6E (SECKSI).

We took a hiatus and switched campaigns for a bit, and are looking to switch back in the not-too-distant future. To make sure things are ready on time, I decided to try and get as much done as early as possible.

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to go about this, possibly posting the original character and then the update. I know there used to be a method to compress/expand a character block. Hmm. Otherwise this could get to be a rather lengthy thread very quickly.

Along the way I figured I would discuss the trials and tribulations I ran into when doing the conversion.

The campaign is a standard/powerful Heroic game with Dark Champions elements. The characters work for a 'mercenary' organisation (think of a more organised and corporately arranged A-Team). The campaign world and the characters frequently engage magical and extra-human baddies. [i've got a campaign background doc that is also being upadated, but the file is too large to post. If you want a copy send me a PM.]

So let us begin.

Re: Working Notes for my Campaign Conversion to 6E

The first character was my GM-NPC. She is probably going to be retiring at the start of Chapter II. She's a rather simple character, her only power is Desol. She's got two Naked Advantages (Usable vs Real World for 10 STR and Usable as Flight for her Running - Only when Desol).

She is the military/heavy weapons expert and BOY does she like to blow things up.

The initial conversion went pretty quickly and easily. She doesn't have any large complicated constructs or interesting powers. The build, itself, is rather boring.

It did take a while to get used to where things were located on the Characteristics tab. After all these years, I've gotten used to things being where they are.

I was a lightly shocked by how expensive OCV/DCV were. Just doing a straight up conversion (no changes to stats or powers), tacked on another 24 points.

The original characters were 100 + 100 + XP (Ashnah was at 256 total points). The update is at 288 (225 Total points + 56 XP) leaving me with a 7 pt shortfall.

I don't like the way that HD (and Book 1) is breaking out points. It lists TOTAL points and then Complications so that X + Complications = TOTAL POINTS. It is exactly backwards of how we used to do it (Base + Disads = TOTAL). I imagine I will get used to it over time. I can even understand why it was done (at least, I can imagine why it was done and I can agree with that reason). It now makes it easy to compare power levels. Before we could have issues where varying amount of Disads in the same 'power level' made things difficult. Now instead of having to talk about Base Points and Disads, it's just 'WHUMP! Here are your points, spend them wisely, Grasshopper."

I may have to look into how many points the characters are given. I originally allowed WAAAAAY too many points. So this time around we are scaling back and I don't want to completely emasculate the characters, but I don't want them having skads of points either. This type of campaign is the hardest to balance. The characters are running around with 40 - 50 point Powers, yet commonly available weapons easily reach 75 or 80 points. It makes it very difficult to come up with guidelines. This time around I'm removing all guidelines and I'll just have to balance each power individually. They started out as 'heroic characters' with 250 + 100 (total of 350). I thought it was quite a bit excessive, but a few of the players were rather insistent and I figured I'd give it a go. Obviously that didn't work very well. So we scaled back to 100 + 100 (50 of which where Mystery Disads). That was actually pretty good. This was the 'Powerful Heroic' level, which was much more to my liking. SECKSI tells me that Powerful Heroic is 225 points (including 50 points of Disads), which means 175 Base + 50 Complications.

Now I'm torn. What to do, what to do? The characters already have 100 pts of Disads. Do I dump the Mystery (COMPLICATIONS, it's going to take a while to get used to that)? Perhaps making them 0 PTers? Hmm. Actually, that might work. Mystery Disads were (in my mind) always meant to be temporary and story based. Maybe you picked up a Vulnerability to Chemicals because of some kind of exposure, but it will shortly wear off. I think that might be the best way to go. I'll let the characters keep their original 50 pts of Disads (ARGH! COMPLICATIONS) and I'll move the Mysterys to 0 Pters.

Although that still only solves part of my problem. I've still got a point shortfall. I think I'll wait until I've got them all converted and then bump them some XP (or base points) to cover the gap.

Hmm. Turns out I don't have a Forum Export Template for 6E. Sigh. I guess you'll have to wait to see the final product! :) BTW, if anyone has a Forum Export Template for 6E can you point me in the right direction? For now, I'll just attach the file.

The next character was TorchSong. She's our blaster. This one is a bit more complicated than Ashnah. TS has an EC and has some heavily advantaged powers.

I made some minor changes to the EC powers. I dropped some Limitations that might have been a tad shoe-horned in.

TS has 50% Resistant Fire Damage Redux. I considered changing this to Damage Negation. It might make for a better effect. I'll table that for now until I have a chance to talk with her player.

Change Environment no longer requires Multiple Combat Effects, you now get that for free. YEAH! I never quite understood that in the first place.

I struggled with Perceivable a bit. Damage Redux is clearly Perceivable. What about the Damage Shield? I went without Perceivable for the DS, but might change my mind later.

I'm not sure I've built the Damage Shield correctly. The AoE Advantage is for ANY surface. Isn't it more limiting if that surface is limited to ONLY your body? Ah! Duh. Further reading, it gets No Range.

AoE Cone got a LOT cheaper. I can expand that out a couple of inches and still save some points.

No Suppress. Checking Drain. Hmm. Suppress is now Drain with Costs END to Maintain. HD won't let me create that without adding Constant. Posted to Steve for clarification (EDIT: book is right, Suppress does NOT need Constant, posted to HD forum, YEAH! MORE POINTS!).

Ohhhh. Regen is back to being Regen (and not Aid/Healing). Me LIKEEE! Much cleaner and easier this way. It's even possible to click your way into a different frequency! WOOHOO! FTW!

Well, I made a few minor changes here and there. Some stuff (eg CSLs) increased in cost, while others decreased. At the end of the day TS has 29 points left to spend. Player will be mucho happy.

The Inch to Meter conversion is probably a big notable thing. It was easy to get caught making 10" = 10m. Then I had to go back and make the change. IT'S WEIRD!

Ok, I'm over to CoH for a break, but I will leave you with TorchSong. Note: TS has a 5 DEF Armoured Uniform that's not on the sheet.

The first character was my GM-NPC. ...

This is totally off topic for you post, but this is the first time I've seen someone mention a GM-NPC. What do you mean by that? I take it this is different than simply an NPC. It sounds like you somehow have more vested in this character than you would in other NPCs.

I ask because for most of my gaming, my groups rotated GM 'duties' and whoever was GMing kept their character with the group, so a transition from one GM to another would be seamless. But I've never seen a reference to anyone else ever playing that way.

Your average run-of-the-mill shop clerk, orc shaman and contacts are all regular NPCs (obviously). The GM-NPC is the NPC that is 'my character.' They mostly stand around and look pretty. The benefit of having one is that it gives you a little more of a hook and vehicle to move the plot along. The GM-NPC is the one that, when the party is standing around scratching their heads and totally stumped, can say "OH HEY!, I JUST THOUGHT OF...."

It's also the person that will get abducted, blowed up, beaten up and otherwise put upon. It's also the person that you can stick with 40pts of PreCog that works once every four months, without having some poor player get stuck with a 40pt sink hole they never get to use. It's also the person that, at the drop of a hat, I can hand 'AK: Sewer's of Denver' to if needed (and very quickly take back if required). It's also the person that when a player shows up with 'his cousin from Phoenix' (or on those oh so sad occassions, when a character throws himself in front of the city-killing-destruct-o-ray) we have a character built in ready to go. It's also the person that another character can have a rivalry/romance with that avoids the problems of things getting 'K-A-REEEEEEPY' at the table! :) It's the jungle-guide, the red-shirt and the Ron Weasely. It's the Bucky. It's just plain handy! :)

Over the years, I've found it's helpful to have a Machina I can Deux when necessary without totally grabbing control of a player's character and using them like a dime-store puppet. Can I (or you) get along without them? Sure. In fact, I can think of just as many reasons to avoid the GM-NPC as reasons to have one. It's just a means to an end, a style-kind-of-thing.

In fact, during Chapter II, I will be foregoing a regular GM-NPC.

Ahhh. The great wooly beast hisself, Wendigo.

I expect this one to be fairly simple and straight-forward. He's a brick. He's got some STR and some DEF.

6E simplified things by simplifying the whole 'STR adding damage' fiasco. For the most part, I had a philosophical difference with the complicated rules, but I didn't really care because I let HD do the math. I just clicked up or down until the right number showed up! :) You can now limitless add STR to your attacks. 1 pip HKA + 60 STR = 4d6+1 HKA! Which is where I run into my first problem. HD won't let me fix it. It will let me purchase a 0pt HKA (defaults to 1) which comes to 2d6+1 including STR. I would like a way to limit the amount of STR that will add to an attack, but I don't necessarily think it deserves/requires a Limitation (which leads me away from STR Min). It is even possible that STR Min is not an option in SuperHeroic Templates.

I made the bite No Added STR to solve that problem, and I'm ok with Wendy here paying for a 1d6 HKA and getting an additional 2d6+1 from STR out of the deal.

What I would like is some way in HD to limit the amount of STR that applies. I'll cross-post this there in a moment. I considered a STR Min but that is kludgy and lacks finesse.

More REGEN! Lovin the new/old regen.

Ok, was trying to turn 10 PD/ED into 10 rPD/rED. Damage Resistance isn't an option. Resistant Damage = Armour. I could lower the PD/ED and add the Armour so the numbers come out the same, but I want to find it. Ahhh. Naked Advantage ought to do it. Wonder if that will Add to Primary Total? No. It doesn't. So instead I WILL lower nautral PD/ED by 10 and purchase 10 DEF as Resistant Protection. It's the only way I see to have it add to totals. Works the same; even costs the same.

Ok, this version appears to be before the point decrease. So he's still built off 350 + XP, which is good since he comes in at 427 points (381 before conversion). I'll have to pass this one off to the player and see what he wants to dump.

Characteristics, again, are a serious point sink. In my mind, I kept thinking that the splitting off of Figureds would be offset by a cost savings. Apparently, it wasn't enough for an even swap. Well, at least he's converted in the interim.

Heeeeeeeere's WENDY (btw, I imagine he would hate that)!

Next character!

Father Martin Longfellow. He's a rather nice guy (in a gritty Chuck Norris kind of way) that's been around for a very, very long time. I'm not expecting much difficulties. To be honest, I'm finding this entire process a bit easier than I expected. Part of that is that so far, I've been fortunate to run across characters that are fairly straight forward with some not extremely difficult builds.

Of course, the 'super-mage' is probably next so I'm sure that will more than make up for the difference. Oh btw, while I am doing this to help out the players, they can take these versions I've done straight out of the box or use them for a guide or just throw them out. I'm doing this as much for my benefit to learn the new system as for them to help out.

One of the first things that I've noticed with this character is the CSLs. I've used the CSLs on TorchSong, but I just noticed something:

8pt levels are for Ranged Combat OR HtH Combat

10pt levels are for All Attacks

Personally, I think the 10pt levels are misleadingly named. I believe a more appropriate nomenclature would be a return to the 'All Combat' since the 10pt levels can be used for OCV or DCV or Damage. Since they could be used for Damage or even DCV I believe 'All Attacks' is poor diction.

Rapid Attack is no longer positionally defaulted. 5E you had to purchase it as either Ranged or HtH. The 6E version applies to all combat and you can limit it (for -1) to limit it to one position. The Padre (I seem to always refer to him as that, and I'm not sure why) doesn't really have HtH attacks (other than Strike) and this was always intended to be with his HandCannon , so I'm going to limit it. The cost is still significantly higher than 5E (10 pts when Limited to Ranged in 6E, and 5pts in 5E).

The first character I've run across with Ranged Martial Arts. No changes that I've seen and just as simple as always.

Deadly Blow. Hmm. It is possible we built this incorrectly with 5E. I can't seem to find it in any of my 5E books (with a quick look), so can't check. Deadly Blow is only used when defining per target (eg Only vs Undead, Dragons or Osmonds) or situation (eg Only on HorseBack, Only in the Dark). A Talent called WeaponsMaster is used instead. WeaponsMaster allows you to define the method (eg Only with HandGuns). WeaponsMaster it is! It is very nice that this Talent (and Deadly Blow) have in the text some good examples of what constitutes a 'Limited Group' and 'Very Limited Group.' That tended to be a real sticking point in the past, was HandGuns Very Limited or Limited?

I've got to run, and this character has quite a bit of equipment to put in, so I'll post him later on when I finish.

Deadly Blow. Hmm. It is possible we built this incorrectly with 5E. I can't seem to find it in any of my 5E books (with a quick look)' date=' so can't check. Deadly Blow is only used when defining per target (eg Only vs Undead, Dragons or Osmonds) or situation (eg Only on HorseBack, Only in the Dark). A Talent called WeaponsMaster is used instead. WeaponsMaster allows you to define the method (eg Only with HandGuns). WeaponsMaster it is! It is very nice that this Talent (and Deadly Blow) have in the text some good examples of what constitutes a 'Limited Group' and 'Very Limited Group.' That tended to be a real sticking point in the past, was HandGuns Very Limited or Limited?[/quote']

You probably want to check 6E1 447, which describes how Talents are built.

You probably want to check 6E1 447' date=' which describes how Talents are built.[/quote']

I was mostly referring to how we designed the power on the old sheet, when I said 'build.' We had used Deadly Blow, and it is possible we used an incorrect Power.

Well this was easy-peasy.

I was expecting this to be a lot harder than it was. LOTS of skills (using most of the Enhancers). A VPP, but that is just as easy as it was before. All in all, it was cake.

This version is, obviously, still before the point drop so he's rather expensive right now. That will have to change, clearly.

Now that I've gotten the magic stuff nailed down a bit more, I will probably give this the once over with the player to merge the character build to be more in line with the setting.

So here is Robin Fletcher, Super-Magey-Archey-Guy!

Well, I've been going over some of the characters and building some new as I firm up some plotlines.

One of the things that I am amazed at is the disparity/difference in the costs (new vs old) of certain builds. A lot seems to be based on how much you spent on Characteristics.

What I basically did was just move from 100 + 100 to 225, and then convert. I've got some characters that came out slightly over, some that came out slightly lower and some that came out significantly over. A lot of the difference seems to be that (I don't want to say reliance, but impact) of how much the characters used Figured Characteristics. Characters with high STR, DEX and CON seem to spend a great deal more on Characteristics since they lost that large bonus of a starting value for the Figureds.

So the question comes down to what do I do? As I see it there are a couple of options:

Option 1: Find the character that is over by the most, after conversion, and give everyone that much XP as a bonus. The problem with this method is that it almost seems to penalise the character that Characteristic heavy and Power light since everyone else gets fancy new powers and skills and he/she gets nothing.

Option 2: Leave the points as is, and let the characters who are over have the points on credit. They will earn XP as normal, but will have to pay off their XP Debt before spending any more. This would, naturally, also involve allowing those that came under after conversion being allowed to spend that extra XP. This has similar cons to Option 1. The 'over' characters will now be frozen until they buy off their Debt, while everyone else gets to advance.

Option 3: Add/Delete XP from each character to make them flush after a DIRECT conversion from 5E to 6E. This would leave a technical disparity in power level, but may be the fairest solution. Part of the problem is that in some cases I didn't do a direct conversion. I suppose I COULD go back and make DIRECT conversions and see how the points come out.

Part of it depends on how I handle the restart.

I can easily pull it off like they do on TV and assume that time has passed off camera. Doing this would naturally allow the characters to have earned some XP in the interim and Option 1 seems most logical.

I can pick up from the second we left off, and Options 2 or 3 seem to be very logical.

I will have to pass this off to the players and see what they think.

Oh and if all this wasn't difficult enough, I will have two new characters to add to the mix. One player joined our group after we switched and one player wants to retire his old character. I will need to keep them in mind with any decision.

I've played the same character on both lower and higher point level adjusted to what ever game it was currently in

I would go with "the radiation accident"

allow the players to rewrite their characters to make due with the new system

don't give any one more points to spend

Option 2: Leave the points as is' date=' and let the characters who are over have the points on credit. They will earn XP as normal, but will have to pay off their XP Debt before spending any more. This would, naturally, also involve allowing those that came under after conversion being allowed to spend that extra XP. This has similar cons to Option 1. The 'over' characters will now be frozen until they buy off their Debt, while everyone else gets to advance.[/quote']

You don't have to completely freeze their XP. You can split it between paying for their converted characteristics and, "new" XP. I suggest putting half, maybe two thirds of their XP towards the conversion but they should get at least one XP to spend per session.

If they don't like that, they can get a full rewrite.

You don't have to completely freeze their XP. You can split it between paying for their converted characteristics and' date=' "new" XP. I suggest putting half, maybe two thirds of their XP towards the conversion but they should get at least one XP to spend per session.[/quote']

Ohh. Now that is something I didn't consider. Paperwork will be kind of a pain, but it's nothing I couldn't handle.

We are considering as a group where to go from here. The consensus so far seems to be that we're keeping the campaign setting and that we've grown attached enough to the characters that we're not quite ready to be done with them. Lowering the point totals leaves a rather unsatisfying taste in the mouth. Imagine driving an indy car and then being forced to drive your mother's station wagon forever. You can't help be remember how much better things used to be. One of the things we are considering now is perhaps moving to a full-on (if low powered) regular champions game.

We are trying to answer some questions now, mostly about what kind of foes we want to face. While mooks may not (and haven't for a while) offered a great deal of difficulty, upping the ante will make them rather tissue-papery. So I would have to make sure that the plotlines going forward would deal with more stand-up tough meanies. It's rather possible. That is one of the nice things about having a supernatural campaign, is that it is easy to ramp up the powerlevels of monsters and things...they are, after all, monsters!

OMG OMG OMG!

A player just pointed out to me that during the conversions I moved OMCV and DMCV straight over.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A MENTAL POWER OMCV IS USELESS!!!

Duh! Heh. That will save some points. I will make mention that some of the rules adaptations for Astral Space would have you using OMCV instead of OCV for all combat attacks when in Astral Space. Not that I've got a trip to Astral Space planned, but if you don't have a mental attack that is the only time I could ever see you needing OMCV.

So, could someone use their "only buy down one stat" to reduce their OMCV to 0? I can't come up with a good reason why they can't, but I'm uncomfortable with the concept. Without a mental attack, it just seems like you would be selling off points that would not reduce your effectiveness. So under the corollary, "a limitation that doesn't limit isn't worth points," I am going to say that you cannot reduce your OMCV to 0. But I reserve the right to have my opinion changed! :)

OMG OMG OMG!

A player just pointed out to me that during the conversions I moved OMCV and DMCV straight over.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A MENTAL POWER OMCV IS USELESS!!!

Duh! Heh. That will save some points. I will make mention that some of the rules adaptations for Astral Space would have you using OMCV instead of OCV for all combat attacks when in Astral Space. Not that I've got a trip to Astral Space planned, but if you don't have a mental attack that is the only time I could ever see you needing OMCV.

Astral Space and similar circumstances (other dimensions where powers by default use mental char; dream dimensions where the character's willpower can alter and/or control the environment; etc.) have been the most frequently brought up ideas under the various threads where buying down OMCV has been discussed.

In the APG, however, one of the suggested options for Mental Powers is the ability to use OMCV to Block an incoming Mental Power (as opposed to relying on your DMCV to avoid it).

So' date=' could someone use their "only buy down one stat" to reduce their OMCV to 0? I can't come up with a good reason why they can't, but I'm uncomfortable with the concept. Without a mental attack, it just seems like you would be selling off points that would not reduce your effectiveness. So under the corollary, "a limitation that doesn't limit isn't worth points," I am going to say that you cannot reduce your OMCV to 0. But I reserve the right to have my opinion changed! :)[/quote']

NOTE: Only by GM permission can you ever buy down a Characteristic below 1 (in 6E).

During the same discussions I mentioned above, the point has been made that everyone without Mental Powers might as well buy down their OMCV. There are apparently several views on this:

1. Some think that buying it down means that the GM should treat it as a Complication (as per the "character sheet as contract", you would only buy it down if you want it to have a negative consequence in the game);
  2. Some think that everyone who can, should buy down OMCV to 1 by default;
  3. Some think that if a character has no Mental Powers, that character has no real way of buying their MCVs either up or down (though several examples where this might be reasonable have also been suggested).

It is a GM call, but in general I would personally think that OMCV should be bought down in an existing campaign only if the campaign had previously featured Disadvantages or Limitations that lowered ECV under earlier rules - otherwise, the new rules only feature an exploitative opportunity rather than more detail. YMMV. :)

Oh, and the rule about only buying down one stat applied to 5ER Figured Stats, but as far as I can tell, you can buy down as many stats as you like in 6E.

This is an interesting thread - very cool to see how you convert things, which is very useful to all of us who are converting stuff from earlier editions, may be interesting for those who are considering switching to 6E, and I'm sure newcomers to the system find it very useful in figuring out both how to represent things in the Hero System and how to convert from other sources and 5ER sourcebooks.

Please have some rep.:thumbup:

You could grandfather the characters in. If you were happy with the character balance before then don't worry about it. Convert them over directly, them let them play as they are and ignore the point differences. 6E doesn't play any differently than 5E so if the characters were balanced before they should still be balanced.

This is an interesting thread - very cool to see how you convert things, which is very useful to all of us who are converting stuff from earlier editions, may be interesting for those who are considering switching to 6E, and I'm sure newcomers to the system find it very useful in figuring out both how to represent things in the Hero System and how to convert from other sources and 5ER sourcebooks.

Please have some rep.:thumbup:

I've got some time on my hands lately and thought it would be interesting. It's also helpful that this has already sparked some things I didn't realise. I'm actually kind of surprised much of anyone is actually reading all this crap! :)

Thanks!

So we have come to that great crossroads in the sky.

The last campaign I did Monster Hunter was different players. We were 75 + 75 (actually it was 100 + 50) pt characters. There was (and I'm trying to remember), an ex-Navy Seal, a Haitian Occult Shop Owner (with obligatory skull headed cane), a ninja-assassin girl, a young (and this was very strange) la femme nikita BOY (eg homeless party boy turned CIA assassin), an immortal monk (more Friar Tuck monk than D&D monk), a construction worker and a survivalist (with the obligatory 50 pts of tin-foil-hat-alien-government-conspiracy disads).

With the new players the team concept was a great deal more Championsy.

It was always a difficult thing to balance very high point characters and have them going after regular people. A regular soldier could only compete by using VERY heavy weapons and a great deal more tactical sense than I would normally attribute to mooks. With the exception of Father Martin, all the characters could very easily move to a low-level Champions game with very little effort.

You see the quandry is that I really hate taking points away, even in a retool/retcon way and the characters are just way too powerful to continue as they are. So I think we are headed towards a more Champions game. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I will probably slant the game to the more magical aspects, since it will be easier to find plots with appropriate adversaries.

We haven't made our final decision yet, but I think that is definitely where we are heading.

We are also going to change the background a bit. Some of the players don't like having all the background capabilities of a large corporation. They want a more hands-on feel instead of farming out all the research and such. So we're loading up the truck and moving to...beverly? We haven't quite decided that yet either. Most likely somewhere west of the Mississippi. Heck, we are all local to Chicago and we might just come home. :) I've got a lot of background typing to do over the next few days, so I'll probably update the campaign doc sometime this weekend.

Fascinating reading. Repped, provided I worked out how to do that on the new forum software.

It's an insight into the problems that anyone converting an existing campaign will face. Especially the manner in which characters are going to be impacted in differing degrees by the conversion process. Character teams that were well balanced are going to encounter the same issues you've described so clearly. I hope you'll post again to relate how your group eventually resolves those issues.

I suspect the same issues will loom even more significantly with a full blooded superhero campaign. Would anyone who's already done that conversion job care to comment?