WWII Dark Reich Hero

UbiquitousRat

Re: WWII Dark Reich Hero

@Doc Democracy: I'm near Nottingham, UK.

As for the campaign... we are also dealing with people getting recruited into Canaris' secret "Brandenburg-X" paranormal Kommando unit, being drawn into a plot to overthrow the Nazi's, and having a crack at Hitler. Along the way, in the alternate history, the war takes a different direction... plus a rising tide of Etheric Energy sweeps the globe, giving rise to magick and awakening the Dragons. War, emotion, politics, magick, and Commie Rage-Troopers... sounds like "Dark Reich" to me.

German soldiers in the 1939 Blitzkrieg of Poland? That has so much potential for great storytelling! You can explore the disillusionment of your characters as the Nationalist fervor builds with early victories' date=' then slowly fades away in the face of paranoia, defeat, and a seemingly endless war. The glory of victory in Paris can be stripped away with a tour in the horrors of Russia, only to return to fight a long, bitter defense in the face of the Western Offensives. All the while, the madness and evil that was so well concealed in Berlin during the 30s is slowly stripped bare until it affects everyone and everything the Reich touches. A campaign I would think that is definitely not for kids.[/quote']

Pretty unlikely.

After Poland it is to early for the disillusion to start setting in. I think late 41- early42 is the time that realization sets in.

@ blackfalcon hope the Pulp books are some help. For some reason I always liked the time line in the GURPS Pulp book more then the one in the Hero Book.

@Black Ops: The book is looking very useful. Putting it alongside Dark Champions and Urban Fantasy Hero, I have a pretty good selection of guidance.

Right now, I am wondering what is lurking in the wilds of Poland to reveal the rising Dark Tide to a small group of Wehrmact soldiers.

Quick update from the rookie GM:

- I have constructed a "German Rifleman" basic template for characters. I've also come up with a "German National" Everyman Skills list.

- I've established that 125 Character Points, with 35 points Complications, feels about right for the 1939 campaign thread.

- Next step is to build a 10-man German Infantry Squad with that template at heart, and see how they all look. From that, I aim to offer players the choice of the squad members for play.

- After that... comes the adventure outline...

• 2 weeks later...

My GMing instincts tell me that it might be best for us to start with low-powered characters, say around 100 points, and then allow them to grow as we game. I want competent normal soldiers who steadily become major, war-influencing heroes. I don't really feel that 175 points is going to deliver that sense of danger and limitation.

I'd say your instincts are right. For first-time HERO GMs I would say that fairly low-powered characters are a good idea for several reasons: there are simply fewer powers that the heroes will fling around, and low-powered abilities are easier to keep track of in my opinion. Plus, it helps with helping to figure out game balance between PCs and NPCs. It encourages working together as a team to survive (which is precisely what you want for a military campaign) and therefore helps establish the group dynamic and a sense of how well they can handle certain situations. That experience will be helpful for later.

Plus, assuming that the campaign goes on long enough, the PCs will probably feel a greater sense of achievement, at least I would. I tend to like doing things from scratch.