Thoughts about the Holiday event?

incrdbil

All in all, its come off very poorly.

The timed appearance of the big bad monster is something universally hated from the Halloween event. Sad to see it repeated..with a very annoying, poorly thought out big-bad monster.

Drop rates for action figure collections is horrible.

And the missions/infinite grind quests for the holiday travel powers...wow. You have to be obsessive/compulsive..or just insane to grind that much, spend that much time..for a crappy extra travel power no better (or worse) than what you pick up at level 5.. Even buying the resources will cost you as much gold as you'ld earn in the entire career of a just turned 40 character.

I have to say I'm starting to worry about the investment of a lifetime subscription if they seriously thought this would be a 'fun' winter event. I've been forgiving about the content shortage, adjustment/balance problems, but the failure to learn from fairly recent mistakes troubles me. It's not a balance or tweakign issue, its a sign of not paying attention, or just not having a clue of what the customers like.

Just browsing the forums..everyone hates this event. Even the most ardent defenders are, at best, staying silent.

The CoX holiday missions/activities are a heck of a lot more fun. How could cryptic, with a better game and the advantage of time fail this epically in the design area of the holiday event?

Re: Thoughts about the Holiday event?

Note - the travel powers have nothing to do with the winter event. They just happened to get added to the game at the same time as the winter event went live, and will be sticking around afterwards.

Also, technically if you have enough alts you don't really need to grind that much for them; you collect the components for all crafting professions anyway just for adventuring in MI, whether you have the quests or not.You can just level a few toons through MI and you'll probably gather most of what you need regardless. Or you can put them in the SG vault in case someone wants to actually build one of these things.

Though I personally agree that I don't see the point of them except for those with an OCD problem. If the crafted travel devices were bind on equip so that you could give them to a level 5 alt, maybe they'd have some use. But since they are bind on pickup, and since you will have a second travel power already by the time you could possibly make one, I don't really see much benefit to them. Maybe they will listen to some of the suggestions along these lines that have been posted in the CO forums.

Overall I found the grindy nature of the event pretty forgettable, and not something I wanted to do for longer than it took to get a set of action figures and 1000 toy kills on 2 toons. I do like that spiced cookies stack to 20 rather than the usual 6 for crafted healing devices, and I have found a couple of the rare blue drops useful on a couple characters (the primary defenses in particular), but otherwise it was worth a limited amount of my time and I'm pretty much done with it for now, other than opening the odd present to look for cookies.