6th Edition language table comments

IKerensky

Hi,

some comments about this table :

1- There is thin black box with square corner at the left (around French/spanish/italian) which should probably not been black... green, perhaps ?

2- i dont see why Italian isn't with Spanish and Portuguese in a blue box round corner with French, thoses languages share the sames characteristic and difference. Is it a problem with verbs ? because the vocabulary is as close/different than with the others (Italian is one of the 5 languagues that share -tion words *)

* Every word that end with -tion in english and french have the same sense in spanish, portuguese and italian but end respectively with -ción, -ção, -zione. There is , of course, a few exception, exception, excepción, exceção ,eccezione

• 2 weeks later...

Re: 6th Edition language table comments

It doesn't seem to be perfect... I've made friends in Mexico with native Spanish speakers that love to visit Italy because they can easily understand and make themselves understood. France is much more difficult for them.

I'm in Polynesia at the moment and I don't see any sort of a Polynesian Language tree. There is a pretty clear division between English settled and French settled islands but dropping back to pure Polynesian languages a lot of communication is possible with some notable gaps, i.e. Marquesans seem to be able to understand a lot of other Polynesians but the others have trouble understanding the Marquesan language. Note, I am NOT a linguist, this is just my personal experience.