Teleport Pads

Starlight

One of the players in a Supers game (6th edition) I'm helping to run wants to build the following power - a megascale teleport from a deployed teleport pad to any other already deployed teleport pad. He intends his character to have four such pads available, able to deploy a pad in his character's current location while the character has any left. The teleport pads have the capability to teleport his character and another character.

Now this seems simple enough; until we add in the fact that this is wanted in a gadget VPP. The teleport pads being foci in the gadget variable power pool. I'm trying to help the player, who isn't all that familiar with the Hero system. I started out with fixed locations, one for each teleport pad, and the megascaled teleport limited to fixed locations only. Although this works as such, for purely aesthetic preference, I'd like to create the power as a self-contained VPP slot without needing fixed locations bought outside the VPP. However I'm coming up short on ideas how to achieve this.

Short version: build a teleport in a VPP that allows going from one location to a limited set of other locations, each location needing a 'teleport pad' to be previously deployed, the power to be contained entirely within a VPP slot without needing fixed locations bought outside the VPP.

Can it be done this way?

Re: Teleport Pads

The problem with putting Fixed or Floating Locations within a Variable Power Pool (or Multipower for that matter) is that as soon as the Pool/Reserve is allocated to another ability the "memorized" part of the locations are wiped. So, sure you can do it, but it won't function the way the player wants. A much more practical idea is to buy a few Floating Locations with tons of Limitations outside of the VPP.

See these threads for related subjects:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/46225-The-Use-of-a-Focus-for-Teleportation...?highlight=teleportation

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/71165-Teleporter-Only?p=1783565#post1783565

Re: Teleport Pads

The problem with putting Fixed or Floating Locations within a Variable Power Pool (or Multipower for that matter) is that as soon as the Pool/Reserve is allocated to another ability the "memorized" part of the locations are wiped. So' date=' sure you can do it, but it won't function the way the player wants. A much more practical idea is to buy a few Floating Locations with tons of Limitations outside of the VPP.[/quote']

Yes, this is the way I handled that issue: a few OIF Bulky fixed locations for permanent transport sites, plus some OAF "Targeting Beacon" floating locations for field deployment. This was for a "utility" character able to handle group mass transport, after a "fast mover player" plants the beacon.