Shield of Thunder.

Alibear

Re: Shield of Thunder.

ok

We are trying to build a "Shield of Thunder"

which numbs the limb that holds the weapon that strikes it.

Damage shield requires contact + sticky if reverberating back through a weapon that strikes it.

Attackers that are aware of the effects of the shield will want an option to try to avoid hitting the shield.

Final comment on the shield OCV vs. DCV issue, now that I got my official "common sense" answer from the rules forum: Apparently, there really is a clash between three different approaches to the subject.

(1) The "Shield rule" in the book, which says that your shield's DCV bonus can apply to OCV when blocking, but doesn't mention any loss of that bonus to DCV...thus implying by omission that a shield should really be bought to provide benefits to both DCV and OCV, the latter only to block.

(2) The "obvious" way to do it according to people familiar with earlier editions -- including, apparently, Steve Long himself --, which is that "if you use the bonus for OCV, you can't apply it to DCV at the same time". The main problem with this approach is that, while logical enough in and of itself and makes a decent house rule, it doesn't actually follow from what's written in the 6E rulebooks at all. It also clashes with the way shields are built; see below.

(3) And then there's the way shields are actually constructed in terms of game mechanics -- which is to say, as pure DCV bonuses with Focus and STR Minimum limitations. Let me reiterate, in 6E that means their benefit is a straight characteristic increase, not a combat skill level; the latter could be reallocated, the former not so much. (When was the last time your GM let you spontaneously apply the points you spent on INT to your EGO instead?) This clashes with both of the above approaches since it implies that a shield should provide no OCV bonus at all because none was ever paid for -- but then the "shield rule" makes no sense whatsoever.

My conclusion? None of the above approaches is, in and of itself, any less valid than its alternatives. However, they are not particularly compatible with each other -- at least not on one and the same individual item, a campaign could certainly have different types of shields work differently if that kind of detail is desired --, and since there is no one 'obvious' default after all (some protestations to the contrary notwithstanding), it's up to a given shield's or similar item's/power's designer (who may or may not be the GM as well) to decide which one he or she is actually going to use for the item or power in question and be ready to explain that if necessary.

That's exactly what I plan to do. I just needed to get the previous post out of my system. :)

Here is an example, since I think you want to still be able to use your DCV after you block

Light Shield: 10 AP Multipower, all slots Focus OAF (-1), Real Armour (-1/4), STR Minimum (5; -1/4)

1 1u) Defensive Shield:
+1 DCV, 5 AP;
Focus OAF (-1), Real Armour (-1/4), STR Minimum (5; -1/4), 2 RP
plus
+1 OCV, 5 AP;
Focus OAF (-1), Real Armour (-1/4), STR Minimum (5; -1/4), Only For Blocking (-1/2 or whatever seems adequate), 2 RP;
Total Points:
10 AP; 4 RP

1 2u) Shield Bash:
HTH +1d6, 5 AP; Focus OAF (-1), Real Armour (-1/4), STR Minimum (5; -1/4), HTH Attack (-1/4), 2 RP

Should work a bit with some fixing. Didn't have the book on me so it's done mostly by memory.

As for the actual Thundering power, wouldn't making the flash Persistent be a bit better? Means that if you pass out, the shield still has that ability. Also, would the power have the Focus (Shield, OIF; -1/2) limitation?